Manual KVM switch USB mouse USB keyboard no video

jefferiksen

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I am looking for a KM switch (or a KVM without the V) that will allow me to share separate USB mouse and keyboard with two computers. Nothing more nothing less. All the KVMs now appear to have integrated the USB out to the computer with the video using special cables. I want there to be separate USB outputs to the two computers (two each if separate mouse and keyboard, one if they can be combined)

tridy

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I have the same issue. I have a notebook and a desktop at work that are connected to different network and I would like to use a single mouse and a keyboard to control both of them.

I have found 2 solutions for it. First, there is a somehow expensive 23 Euro (some KMVs are less expensive than that) device on eBay that is exactly what you are looking for:
2 Port KMC21 USB KM Keyboard Mouse Switch ie3

Now, look at the issue there. You will have to press the button when you need to switch between the two.

My idea was more of having the continuous screen, so I could move the mouse from one device from another, without the need of pressing any buttons. The idea is like continuous dual monitor but with dual computers instead. For this task, I need to put 2 computers on the same network, so the data could be transferred via IP. I do not want to buy additional network cards to connect two computers, neither I want to use the wireless (which the desktop computer does not have, by the way). The only solution that I have come up so far is the USB-To-USB cable that works as a network bridge. There are only a few cables that emulate a small local area network (it should be labeled as supporting TCP/IP or LAN connections). Some on amazon say they do but they actually do not, check the comments if you will be looking for such a cable.

With such a cable and free software called Synergy,(cnet video, Synergy on Sourceforge), I am sure I will be able to make it work. So, now the only thing to do is to find the right USB-To-USB cable.

I will comment more when I will order/get the cable and make it work.

tridy

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I looked at quite a few USB-To-USB cables that emulate network and none of them would work on Win7 x64. Some of them would make it possible to send files back and forth via special software but none would properly emulate LAN. So, I dropped the idea of the USB-To-USB idea. I looked at the option of having 2 USB to Network cards and a crossover cable but none of the USB to Network cards support Win7 x64 so far, even the expensive ones. So, I have ran out of options of putting 2 comouters on the same network.

So, I have a notebook on one internet line and desktop on another internet line and the idea for that is that it is more secure like that for the office environment. My office desktop is on the corporate network and my personal notebook is on another line, so there are no security issues there. Putting 2 machines on the same network would create a bridge that could be a security issue. So, having a KM Switch sounded like a good idea to me since it would be only a keyboard and a mouse that would be connected to both computers.

I asked a seller on eBay if the device will work on Windows 7 x64 and he replied "Yes", so I decided to get it. It arrived yesterday and I have tested it on Win7x64 + Win7x86 and it works well. And today in the office I tries Win7x64 + WinXPProx86 and it works as well. There is a 3 sec delay though when I switch between the computers but this is the thing I am willing to live with for now.

I kinda like the idea of Synergy when you can move the mouse to the edge and it goes to another computer screen but then the thing is that the computers should be on the same network and in my case this is the security issue. If I would need to implement this at home when both computers are on the same network, I would definitely go for the Synergy software solution instead of hardware.

micklex

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
You should look into Kavoom. It's software that costs $20 per license per machine but allows you to only have one keyboard and mouse without extra hardware as long as they are on the same network. No hardware switches needed and it's very configurable- put the displays in any relationship you want and you can adjust the software to reflect that. Above, side, bottom, corner positions, 20 displays, whatever.
The software is used with Philips Patient Monitoring systems and with Nihon Kohden and Natus XLTEK PSG and EEG systems without issue. I do have one arrangement that has quad display, triple display and dual display systems all setup together so you can move the mouse anywhere you want on those computers without delay or having to push a switch.