Dell 3Ghz HT processor question

How do you overclock it or any other recent Dell system?

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

"Eric Powell" <epowell@fastnet.au> wrote in message
> How do you overclock it or any other recent Dell system?

What's overclocking you ask?
http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/tutorials/23/3/
Something you can't do with a Dell.

All Dell computers the BIOS is crippled/locked or dumb downed, over 50% of
some
of the features in BIOS won't work or juts plain removed form the BIOS.
You would be amazed of all the features on new modern BIOS that you don't
even see
in your Dell crippled BIOS. Plus I have built computers using this
motherboard
http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050323/index-05.html#ai_boost_for_overclocking
that has a windows based software expressly made for overclocking.

Why does Dell cripple your BIOS?This is done to limit Dell tech. support
calls,
because the newbie's could do serious harm to his or hers computers if they
don't
know what they are doing. Great for Dell tech.
support, bad for the consumer if you want to overclock or fine tune your
system.
If you want fully unlocked BIOS for overclocking don't buy a Dell, build
your
own or have one built for you using name brand industry standard parts
(in this case the motherboard like ASUS, Abit, or DFI brand, etc.)

SteveR

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

"SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

> "Eric Powell" <epowell@fastnet.au> wrote in message
>> How do you overclock it or any other recent Dell system?
>>

> What's overclocking you ask?
> http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/tutorials/23/3/
> Something you can't do with a Dell.
>
> All Dell computers the BIOS is crippled/locked or dumb downed, over 50% of
> some
> of the features in BIOS won't work or juts plain removed form the BIOS.
> You would be amazed of all the features on new modern BIOS that you don't
> even see
> in your Dell crippled BIOS. Plus I have built computers using this
> motherboard
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050323/index-05.html#ai_boost_for_overclocking
> that has a windows based software expressly made for overclocking.
>
> Why does Dell cripple your BIOS?This is done to limit Dell tech. support
> calls,
> because the newbie's could do serious harm to his or hers computers if
> they don't
> know what they are doing. Great for Dell tech.
> support, bad for the consumer if you want to overclock or fine tune your
> system.
> If you want fully unlocked BIOS for overclocking don't buy a Dell, build
> your
> own or have one built for you using name brand industry standard parts
> (in this case the motherboard like ASUS, Abit, or DFI brand, etc.)
>
> SteveR

More up to date info on overclocking
other URL that I mentioned was kind of outdated.

SteveR

Paul

Splendid

These are multiplier locked, you need to increase the FSB. However
the dell motherboards do not allow this, so you are out of luck. I
changed the mobo in my Dimension 3000 and I am now running my P4 3ghz
at 3.8 ghz with no problems at all.

On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:45:17 GMT, "Eric Powell" <epowell@fastnet.au>
wrote:

>How do you overclock it or any other recent Dell system?

Thanks..would something like soft fsb possibly work?

What motherborad did you use?

Cheers

"Paul" <paul_news at dsl dot pipex dot com> wrote in message
> These are multiplier locked, you need to increase the FSB. However
> the dell motherboards do not allow this, so you are out of luck. I
> changed the mobo in my Dimension 3000 and I am now running my P4 3ghz
> at 3.8 ghz with no problems at all.
>
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:45:17 GMT, "Eric Powell" <epowell@fastnet.au>
> wrote:
>
> >How do you overclock it or any other recent Dell system?

Paul

Splendid

I used the Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK and it dropped straight in with only
a slight modification to the plastic cpu heatsink holder thingy. I
upgraded the cpu cooler as well to a coolermaster and the cpu runs
really cool even at 3.8ghz (37c idle 49c full load).

On Thu, 12 May 2005 10:39:07 GMT, "Eric Powell" <epowell@fastnet.au>
wrote:

>Thanks..would something like soft fsb possibly work?
>
>What motherborad did you use?
>
>Cheers
>
>"Paul" <paul_news at dsl dot pipex dot com> wrote in message
>> These are multiplier locked, you need to increase the FSB. However
>> the dell motherboards do not allow this, so you are out of luck. I
>> changed the mobo in my Dimension 3000 and I am now running my P4 3ghz
>> at 3.8 ghz with no problems at all.
>>
>> On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:45:17 GMT, "Eric Powell" <epowell@fastnet.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >How do you overclock it or any other recent Dell system?

And just why would someone want to run processor and memory at speeds beyond
their documented design and manufacturing limits? Dell is not the only name
brand company to limit overclocking. We who build white box computers do, too.
If you fry the processor or motherboard by oveclocking or somehow your data gets
scrambled as a result of overclocking, would you expect me to repair your system
for free under warranty? Not on your life.

Make your choice, speed or reliability. Spend more money to buy a CPU that is
designed to run at a faster speed. Speed kills... Ben Myers

On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:33:42 -0400, "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote:

>"Eric Powell" <epowell@fastnet.au> wrote in message
>> How do you overclock it or any other recent Dell system?
>>

>What's overclocking you ask?
>http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/tutorials/23/3/
>Something you can't do with a Dell.
>
>All Dell computers the BIOS is crippled/locked or dumb downed, over 50% of
>some
>of the features in BIOS won't work or juts plain removed form the BIOS.
>You would be amazed of all the features on new modern BIOS that you don't
>even see
>in your Dell crippled BIOS. Plus I have built computers using this
>motherboard
>http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050323/index-05.html#ai_boost_for_overclocking
>that has a windows based software expressly made for overclocking.
>
>Why does Dell cripple your BIOS?This is done to limit Dell tech. support
>calls,
>because the newbie's could do serious harm to his or hers computers if they
>don't
>know what they are doing. Great for Dell tech.
>support, bad for the consumer if you want to overclock or fine tune your
>system.
>If you want fully unlocked BIOS for overclocking don't buy a Dell, build
>your
>own or have one built for you using name brand industry standard parts
>(in this case the motherboard like ASUS, Abit, or DFI brand, etc.)
>
>SteveR

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

> And just why would someone want to run processor and memory at speeds
> beyond
> their documented design and manufacturing limits? Dell is not the only
> name
> brand company to limit overclocking. We who build white box computers do,
> too.
> If you fry the processor or motherboard by oveclocking or somehow your
> data gets
> scrambled as a result of overclocking, would you expect me to repair your
> system
> for free under warranty? Not on your life.
>
> Make your choice, speed or reliability. Spend more money to buy a CPU
> that is
> designed to run at a faster speed. Speed kills... Ben Myers

I have been in computer biz for 20+ years well aware of that.
I have also owned 2 ISP's, and I know my way around in networking.

I personally do not overclock my systems, but I have many clients
that pay me good money to build a system for his or hers 14 year kids or the
40 year old kid.
They want the fastest computer that money can buy can buy and if not
overclocked to much
and with the proper cooling (water cooling) the systems I have built are
going on 3 yrs. to 4 yrs' now.
There is happy medium in overclocking and hardware life.
Speed does kill in the if you don't keep the hardware cool, but with
high-end
water-cooling it's easy to get speed and long hardware life.
All my overclocked computers will pass any burn-in test like prime95, cpu
burn-in, etc. for 24/7
or Crunch numbers like seti@home for 24/7, all still run stable and don't
lockup.

I have built many water-cooled computers with new ASUS motherboard with dual
SLI motherboards
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050323/
that run 2 high end video cards, your talking $800 to $1000 just for 2 PCI-E
video cards.
I deal with people that have money and like the Ferrari's of the computer
world.
I don't build many computers for Granny.

I'm not suggesting that everyone needs or wants to overclock, by any means,
but I have been paid good money to build high end gaming computers or ultra
quiet computers.
Lots of my computers are used in LAN Parties for FPS games like HL2, FarCry,
Doom 3, etc.

Some clients complain to much about fan noise or the computer just to loud
in general.
It's easy to build a ultra quiet computer at least twice as quiet as Dell
XPS, with off
the shelf parts. Dell has quite a few new models that run to loud for some
of my clients
including myself. I can't tell that the computer I'm using now is on by
sound,
only way to tell if it's on the front panel LED's are glowing.

SteveR

Paul wrote:
> I used the Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK and it dropped straight in with only
> a slight modification to the plastic cpu heatsink holder thingy. I
> upgraded the cpu cooler as well to a coolermaster and the cpu runs
> really cool even at 3.8ghz (37c idle 49c full load).

Out of curiousity, what CPU do you have (is it a Northwood or Prescott,
Socket 478 or LGA 775)? Also, are you running using stock power supply?

Ben Myers wrote:

> And just why would someone want to run processor and memory at speeds beyond
> their documented design and manufacturing limits?

With the average life span of a CPU approximately a decade -- much
longer than the time it takes for the CPU to be outdated -- overclocking
doesn't seem to be a bad compromise.

> Dell is not the only name
> brand company to limit overclocking. We who build white box computers do, too.
> If you fry the processor or motherboard by oveclocking or somehow your data gets
> scrambled as a result of overclocking, would you expect me to repair your system
> for free under warranty? Not on your life.

That's understandable, however I sitll feel it ought to be the
consumer's choice (with full knowledge that no support will be given in
the event of failure).

> Make your choice, speed or reliability. Spend more money to buy a CPU that is
> designed to run at a faster speed. Speed kills... Ben Myers

Keep in mind that there's a significant premium for the fastest
processors (diminishing returns to scale: $100 difference from 3.2->3.4
& $200 from 3.4->3.6) and moderate overclocking (~10%)is relatively safe.

Paul

Splendid

I am using a prescott socket 478. I had to upgrade the power supply
as I bought a radeon 9700 pro which was giving me problems with the
250w pws.

>I used the Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK and it dropped straight in with only
> a slight modification to the plastic cpu heatsink holder thingy. I
> upgraded the cpu cooler as well to a coolermaster and the cpu runs
> really cool even at 3.8ghz (37c idle 49c full load).
>
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 10:39:07 GMT, "Eric Powell" <epowell@fastnet.au>
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks..would something like soft fsb possibly work?
>>
>>What motherborad did you use?
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>"Paul" <paul_news at dsl dot pipex dot com> wrote in message
>>> These are multiplier locked, you need to increase the FSB. However
>>> the dell motherboards do not allow this, so you are out of luck. I
>>> changed the mobo in my Dimension 3000 and I am now running my P4 3ghz
>>> at 3.8 ghz with no problems at all.

That's pretty interesting. Did you find a way to keep the front panel
connectors working (USB, Headphone). What about the backplace for the
motherboard? I would like to do that to my wife's PC, but I do not feel that
brave to hack too much into these connectors (which she would like to keep).

It would be interesting if you could share your toughts in this forum.

El Quimico or diegomarisel at gmail dot com

I'm interested in your MoBo swap. I too have a Dimension 3000, and was
mighty perturned to learn that it lacks both an AGP & PCI-e slot.
PCI-e I can understand, but no AGP either? I know it's an entry level
computer, but I'm effectively saddled with a machine that's graphically
one-step behind the 2 ghz machine I got 3 years ago. Anyway - what
kind of MoBo did you use? How hard was the swap? I'm guessing you'd
recommend the swap - am I right?

your response most appreciated...