$250 flat fee shipping

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 22, 2005 12:08:44 AM

www.machinemover.com
Eric's Shipping New $250 flat fee program.

That's right. Everything is going up and my prices are going down

My belief is the arcade industry needs my service and I need it, the
best way to attack this situation is by consolidating my truck wherever
I go, and the only way to do that is by your help. How do I do that? By
making the shipping options affordable again. Call me, email me Holler
at me, I will listen. I want to hear my phone ring off the hook and
book like the old days, I've been doing this a long time and I intend
to be around for many years to come, so let's get this going, give me
an offer, I'll listen. Your the boss in my book. I need your help to
make this work. Give it to me, Please!

Here's the details, I need to consolidate the moves, so I can not be
held to timeframes, this is the number one problem with this
businessand the number one most costly issue. If we can get by the
timeframe issues, I can do this cheap and that's exactly what I plan to
do. You guys help memake this work and we can all be winners. Give me
your feedback let me know what you want, I want to be your number one
shipper, period!

Eric
928-279-4224
www.machinemover.com

More about : 250 flat fee shipping

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:17:03 AM

Eric, I've gone with you a few times. On the plus side, I was really
impressed with how well things were protected and packed. I've got to
comment on your ad plug, though....

Since you asked for feedback in a public forum, I'll give you my honest
opinions....in a public forum. What's turned me off from your shipping
service is the extremely poor communication. Each time I've gone with
you, the lack of communication -specifically after the money
collection- got to be really frustrating.

The other point, which was just as tough to stomach, was the extremely
long wait times (1 month +) to get the game delivered. Your statement
above of, "so I can not be
held to timeframes, this is the number one problem with this
business" makes me laugh. Were you holding yourself to timeframes in
the past? Your competition has NO problem with meeting commitments and
timeframes. Your statement convinces me that you don't remotely see
this as a concern. Are you saying your delivery times will get even
longer? :-)

I'd be willing to go with your service if the prices were a lot better
than the competition. They're not. Even your new/improved rate of
$250 barely beats out NAVL. Please explain....why should we go with
you?

-NAVL is extremely organized, easy to reach, picks the machine up
immediately, delivers across the country in less than a week, keeps
their delivery appointments, and costs $280-$290 including insuranceee.

-Eric's Shipping Service always appears disorganized, is hard to reach
or get a call back (unless it's for a sale), picks up the machine
whenever "the truck's in the area," delivers across the country in 4+
weeks, flakes on delivery appointments, and costs $250 + insurance.

In my book, that isn't worth the $30-$40 savings....sorry. I don't
want other collectors to go through the same headaches, and your ad
convinces me those problems will get worse, not better.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:37:48 AM

BWANGER,

Thanks for calling a spade a spade. LIke anyone would use this hacks
service.
June 22, 2005 1:44:40 AM

$250 does seem a bit steep for a shipment involving volume moves. If
you are going to Take a month or more to get it done, i think ~$100 is
reasonable. Time is money.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:46:21 AM

>-NAVL is extremely organized, easy to reach, picks the machine up
>immediately, delivers across the country in less than a week, keeps
>their delivery appointments, and costs $280-$290 including insuranceee.

The cost for multiple games on the same trip gets even cheaper...and
they take just about anything. Downside? They hire contractors with
liftgates to pick games up and drop off, so quality can be inconsistant
on top of multiple truck transfers which can lead to damage.

I've had Eric's pick up a game once and was happy with that. Never had
to wait for one to be delivered. Didn't he start using NAVL to pick up
his slack?

Kirb
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:56:49 AM

Good points.

Yeah, NAVL's great for multiple games. I think you're right, Kirb,
that they were using NAVL to pick up slack. This was the case for one
of games I had delivered.

It'd be completely fine with me, but after I learned that I paid more
than NAVL would have charged to begin with, I wasn't so pleased :)
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:21:27 AM

I assume this is Eric's posting under a different handle? While it's
(honestly) nice that you're willing to advise on who to recommend for a
local repair, recommend maintenance, and that you're willing to take a
pin's legs off, the folks here are collectors...

< In fact they have almost as good of a reputation as forward air.50/50
for getting
yourmachine in one piece.>

BS. That's a total exageration, and you know it. In fact, you were
using NAVL and labeling it as your own since you didn't have the
capabilities to drive in many areas.

<I've had growing pains, but so has ebay and seeing I've been doing
this before Ebay, in fact before internet, in
fact before digital machines, I stand by what I say>

When did Ebay come into the thread? You stand by what you say? Let me
state an example. I seem to recall you saying, "The machine will be
delivered in 2 weeks." No machine in 2 weeks, or 3, or 4, or 5. No
returned phone calls either during that time..... Is that standing by
what you say?

<I believe far out way the issue of Quality over quickness>

It's not that black and white. I've NEVER had a damage issue with
NAVL. How about your quality in customer service? How about quality
in communication? How about quality in terms of timeline commitments?
In terms of professionalism? In returning phone calls after you
collect people's money?

<I can offer service that is no there by no one else. >

What? If you can't even type a paragraph beyond a 3rd grade grammar
level, what do you think this says about your professionalism and
communications skills? Sorry....
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:31:21 AM

<EVER HAVE NAVLSAY THEY'D BE THERE (TAKE A DAY
OFF WORK)AND THEY NEVER SHOWUP? THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN WITH ME. >

Bullshit, Eric. Let's call a spade a spade. Each time you delivered
to me, you gave me the complete runaround as to the day and time. You
showed up very late on both occasions, and didn't have the courtesy to
call me. NAVL has never, ever missed an appointment in picking up or
dropping off games. You've given me 10x the runaround that NAVL (or
Pilot, or Overnite) has ever given me.

<I deliver nights and weekends, does NAVL?>

You deliver nights and weekends because you're unorganized and can't
pin down a commitment. Hmmm, delivery on Thursday, June 1st from 10-1
with NAVL or whenever Eric decides to call...hopefully somewhere in the
July to August timeframe!

Stick to the "we pack very well line," because it certainly is true.
The other stuff ISN'T, period. I normally don't rant like this, but
I'm getting sick of flakes in the hobby trying to sell to us like we're
novices.....
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:59:39 AM

MAy-be you haven't noticed but you raised a very interesting comment
here. NAVL (who I started in the industry by the way,They didn't know
what a pinball machine looked like until I contracted with them 4 years
ago) has had numerous problems with the way they handle equipment. This
I believe far out way the issue of Quality over quickness. In fact they
have almost as good of a reputation as forward air.50/50 for getting
yourmachine in one piece. Ever try to collect for damages from NAVL? not
easilly done. Ever have damages with me? Probably not. If there's ever
an issue it is handled on the spot, right there. I'm one person, it is
going to take longer. I've been doing this longer then someof you guys
have been alive. I think I have someknowhow how to handle this stuff. My
prices are good forwhat you get. EVER have NAVL assemble a machine?
Dis-assemble? Fix? recommend local repair? Advise with mainenence? Food
for thought. I will not deny, I've had growing pains, but so has ebay
and seeing I've been doing this before Ebay, in fact before internet, in
fact before digital machines, I stand by what I say. I can offer service
that is no there by no one else. We are not only the best at what we do
, we are the onlyone's that do what we do.

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

I do offer multiple game discounts, and I will always beat NAVL pricing
including insurance and offer an unsurpassed quality control over NAVL
or anyone else. Eric's has discontinued NAVL shipments due to poor
quality and high damage. EVER HAVE NAVLSAY THEY'D BE THERE (TAKE A DAY
OFF WORK)AND THEY NEVER SHOWUP? THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN WITH ME. HOW MANY
TIMES DO I CALL IN ADVANCE? I deliver nights and weekends, does NAVL?
SImple Personalis better by far. You name the price, ask NAVL to do
that!

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:05:38 AM

>NAVL has had numerous problems with the way they handle equipment.

They seem to move games fine to me. I did have them on a pallet and
wrapped up pretty good, but that is only because I know how they will
be moved. Eric moves games around without the need for a pallet.

>This I believe far out way the issue of Quality over quickness.

That depends.

>In fact they have almost as good of a reputation as forward air.50/50 for getting
>yourmachine in one piece.

That is not true.

> Ever try to collect for damages from NAVL?

Never had to. Clay (who you used to service all the time) uses them
more than anyone I know and had never had a damage problem from what I
recall.

> I've been doing this longer then someof you guys have been alive.

It takes THAT long to deliver a game?
(just poking fun, please ignore that last comment....)

>We are not only the best at what we do, we are the onlyone's that do what we do.

I am guessing that your ad here means that your business has dropped
off. I suspect that after NAVL started doing contract work for you that
people found a cheaper and quicker way.

Cheaper, faster, better: pick any two (cheaper by a hair....)

Eric also goes to Expo and Chicagoland so you can have him take a game
right from the show. Better contact him quick since he does fill up.

Kirb
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:46:34 AM

> <EVER HAVE NAVLSAY THEY'D BE THERE (TAKE A DAY
> OFF WORK)AND THEY NEVER SHOWUP? THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN WITH ME. >

Why no, that has never actually happened in 5 pickups. NAVL has been on
time, every time, and often even EARLIER than 8 am which meant I could
still go to work that day.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:31:52 AM

I have had great service through NAVL. I have only shipped video games
with them. 20 plus games shipped and zero damage complaints. I contact
the local office, set up an AM or PM pickup and I have the driver call
me 30 minutes before he arrives to allow me time to meet him. That
kicks ass!!!

I have heard these horror stories about Eric's service on the video
game side as well and I would never use his shipping service either. I
am sure he doesn't damage the game's and will set them up for you but
every other aspect of his business sounds horrible.

Todd
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:47:49 AM

Eric rather than getting defensive, maybe you could tell us more
specifics about price flexibility and timelines. If you really dont
know how long it will take, maybe you can offer a partial refund on
shipping of games that take for ever???
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:28:28 PM

You need to study old Shields posts much more before you attempt to take
on his personna. Simply using a similar screen name isn't enough. You're
not even a good imposter!

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

I never used Eric but lots of my friends did. The only issue any of them
had was the incredible wait times. Sometimes up to 6 months! At least he
didn't have near the damage issues (among other things) that Dodel had :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:30:32 PM

BWAGNER5150 wrote:
> I assume this is Eric's posting under a different handle? While it's
> (honestly) nice that you're willing to advise on who to recommend for a
> local repair, recommend maintenance, and that you're willing to take a
> pin's legs off, the folks here are collectors...
>
> < In fact they have almost as good of a reputation as forward air.50/50
> for getting
> yourmachine in one piece.>
>
> BS. That's a total exageration, and you know it. In fact, you were
> using NAVL and labeling it as your own since you didn't have the
> capabilities to drive in many areas.
>
> <I've had growing pains, but so has ebay and seeing I've been doing
> this before Ebay, in fact before internet, in
> fact before digital machines, I stand by what I say>
>
> When did Ebay come into the thread? You stand by what you say? Let me
> state an example. I seem to recall you saying, "The machine will be
> delivered in 2 weeks." No machine in 2 weeks, or 3, or 4, or 5. No
> returned phone calls either during that time..... Is that standing by
> what you say?
>
> <I believe far out way the issue of Quality over quickness>
>
> It's not that black and white. I've NEVER had a damage issue with
> NAVL. How about your quality in customer service? How about quality
> in communication? How about quality in terms of timeline commitments?
> In terms of professionalism? In returning phone calls after you
> collect people's money?
>
> <I can offer service that is no there by no one else. >
>
> What? If you can't even type a paragraph beyond a 3rd grade grammar
> level, what do you think this says about your professionalism and
> communications skills? Sorry....

Let me just state first that I don't know Eric personally but I have
met him before when he was here picking up games. I've got to throw my
support to him on this issue, as I've been in his shoes before. I too
have moved some machines for people whenever I've been going after some
of my own in distant locations so I can help offset the cost of the
long trip. Unless some of you have actually tried to make 8 stops in
two days in totally unfamiliar country (maybe even across the border),
coordinate with the owners in the weeks up to, right before, and during
the trip, pack the living daylights out of something so it will stay
safe, and then make everything you've planned come out perfectly down
to the appointed hour, you would be some kind of Superman. To do this
EVERY DAY and stay close on time would simply be miraculous. I really
think collectors expect an awful lot of Eric and what is essentially a
very small private company with limited resources. If you're NAVL with
a massive fleet of trucks and who knows how many employees, I'm sure
you can speed the time table up by quite a bit. All I expect of the
shipping industry, no matter who does it for me, is to ship my game
SAFELY for a reasonable cost. Given the choice of slower
shipping-better handling or "quicker but iffy" handling-I'd take the
slow one every time.
Here's some typical problems that I'm faced with just about every time
I try doing what Eric does:
a)no cell phone signals in a lot of areas.
b)unexpected road construction slow-downs
c)wrecks and/or heavy traffic delays you have to get around somehow
d)mapping on the computer doesn't turn out right or the address simply
won't map. Have to use zip code to try finding the general location and
narrow it down...
e)everybody wants to show you their collections. I sure wish I had the
time!
f)"I'm here all by myself. Can you help me get this thing
downstairs/upstairs/out across the muddy yard to the barn?" etc
g)occasional tire repairs or truck/trailer trouble of some kind
h)finding out the dimensions you were given to an arcade game are off
enough that it won't fit in the trailer now unless you unload
everything in there and start all over.
i)if you get behind on schedule, no matter how hungry, worn out and
sleepy you are, you have to make it up somehow or the next day(s) will
be even worse. The only way to do that is simply *not sleep* and keep
on driving.
j) even though the arrangments were cash on delivery and you knew I
was nearby, I now either have to take your check so I can get back on
the road again quickly or wait for you to go the ATM.

There are some others too. I've talked to Dennis Dodel who used to
move games and he told me some other horror stories of his about being
out on the road in the old days--hitting large animals out on the
highway, border checks, weigh station cops on the take, and so on and
so on. This biz is not real glamorous folks! Now I'm not griping about
the nature of the pin moving business-I take it on myself willingly
whenever I do it- but give this Eric guy a little break. If you choose
not to do business with Eric's for personal reasons that is certainly
your choice, but I don't think he's overpriced at $250 and his service
schedule is realistic for his company size. Arcade games and pinballs
are not easy to deal with, they're very awkward and heavy and yet very
fragile, and some are worth thousands of dollars now so there's a lot
at stake here. But the notion that he could move every game door to
door for around $100 and make a living at it is simply ludicrous. If
you think I'm wrong, try it sometime.
Brian Saunders Pinballs of the Past Lerna, Il.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:54:06 PM

"But the notion that he could move every game door to
door for around $100 and make a living at it is simply ludicrous."

Its ludicrous to think that someone would ship something with no idea
of when it might make it to its final destination.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:00:23 PM

Brian,

Points well taken...I'm sure it is a hard & hard-working business to be
in. While I agree that $100 (although it'd be nice!) is certainly too
low.

Time is money for most people. Headaches (or avoiding them) are worth
money to most people. And quality isn't JUST good packing. Granted, I
believe an undamaged game is priority 1. However, quality
communication, timeline commitments, and professonalism all add into
the equation. I don't feel comfortable handing a $3k pinball to
someone who can't even estimate when he'll get around to a certain
state. I don't feel comfortable handing a $3k pinball to someone who
can't even return a phone call in 2 weeks....do you? Now I understand
about cell phones being out of range, etc, but I certainly got quick
calls back when there was the possibility of a sale! Coincidence?

I respect and understand the struggles of a small moving operation like
this, and it's obviously hard work. However, Eric has no problem with
bashing his competition, which most of us are extremely pleased with.
He even bashes them stating they're late, flaky, etc. which is EXACTLY
what he does and they do not do.

All said and done, I really don't care what his struggles with
logistics are. They shouldn't be the customer's problem. His
competition has it mastered and he does not. Good packing alone does
not make for a good service.

And, don't forget.....Eric used the public and ASKED for feedback. Him
getting defensive after customers have been honest doesn't look good.

Ben
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:08:09 PM

>Thanks for calling a spade a spade. LIke anyone would use this hacks
>service

At least TRY to be a fake John Shields. You aren't even trying to be
like him.

An even WORSE troll- one who hijacks another troll's handle and can't
even be as big of a troll as the original. A weenie troll.

Kirb
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:09:36 PM

>250 does seem a bit steep for a shipment involving volume moves

He never said what a multiple game $$ was. I know that NAVL is almost
the same $$ for one pinball or two. It almost forces you to try and get
multiple game deals so that your cost of shipping per game goes way
down.

Kirb
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:12:16 PM

>NAVL (who I started in the industry by the way,They didn't know
>what a pinball machine looked like until I contracted with them 4 years
>ago)

NAVL seemed to have taken a lot of your business. Time to set yourself
apart from NAVL- you have the quality, but what else can you provide
for the extra time involved? Lower cost? Much of the other "services"
are not really required for most collectors.

Kirb
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:44:32 PM

At least run spellchecker on your site in case some potential customer
happens to stumble across it and doesn't know your reputation.

<eric@machinemover.com> wrote in message
> www.machinemover.com
> Eric's Shipping New $250 flat fee program.
>
> That's right. Everything is going up and my prices are going down
>
> My belief is the arcade industry needs my service and I need it, the
> best way to attack this situation is by consolidating my truck wherever
> I go, and the only way to do that is by your help. How do I do that? By
> making the shipping options affordable again. Call me, email me Holler
> at me, I will listen. I want to hear my phone ring off the hook and
> book like the old days, I've been doing this a long time and I intend
> to be around for many years to come, so let's get this going, give me
> an offer, I'll listen. Your the boss in my book. I need your help to
> make this work. Give it to me, Please!
>
> Here's the details, I need to consolidate the moves, so I can not be
> held to timeframes, this is the number one problem with this
> businessand the number one most costly issue. If we can get by the
> timeframe issues, I can do this cheap and that's exactly what I plan to
> do. You guys help memake this work and we can all be winners. Give me
> your feedback let me know what you want, I want to be your number one
> shipper, period!
>
> Eric
> 928-279-4224
> www.machinemover.com

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:18:53 PM

Personally, I like Eric. We have had some good conversations and my
stuff almost always arrived in tact. We had one that was damaged.

I have read a little bashing here and maybe rightly so. Only you know
what problems you have had with him.

My point is NAVL has charged me upwards of $365 for one game across the
country. I was looking at the posts relating to $250 and wondering if
I'm getting boned excessively. I realize coast to coast is expensive
but $250 compared to $365. I'd wait.

I only stopped using Eric because for the same price I got my shipment
in two weeks instead of two plus months.

One of the problems I face in re-selling games is customers look at
E-bay and Mr. Pinball and expect me to offer the same price on a game
that is located in NY. Naturally, add $250 to $350 to the price. They
do not comprehend the shipping aspect. Just yesterday I was told that
a game I quoted was several hundred dollars cheaper in Florida, in
similar condition. I was also informed by this, know it all buyer,
that he knew shipping could only be about $50. This can be a real
nightmare because now you've got this guy out there telling people
you're ripping them off, and you're not.

So continues the shipping saga.

Mario
Pinthetic
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:35:30 PM

< I have no problem standing by my word >

Yes, you DO have a problem with keeping your word. Is promising a 2
week delivery and showing up in 5 (with absolutely no communication)
keeping your word?

< and yes I do offer discounts>

I seem to remember one time when you offered a discount and then forgot
all about it at delivery. To your defense, it ~was~ 6 weeks later, so
maybe you forgot :-)

<and yes I do offer discounts, timeframes and free insurance>

You may offer timeframes, but you DON'T keep them. Besides that, your
timeframes are a joke. Uh, mid-July. NAVL tells me exactly when
everything will be, and they deliver.

<NAVL dosen't bother me other then they breached contract with me. I
am not wasting my time bashing other companies, I have better things to
do. >

Yet you don't mind bashing them and claiming that they have a 50//50
chance of damaging a game? See you post above.

<If this person knew as much as he says he knows about the shipping
business he would be able
to tell you the actual logistics of the shipping business and the facts
of NAVL.>

Dunno if you're referring to me or not....I don't know squat (or care
squat) about the shipping business. All I care is that my games get
picked up, transported, and delivered undamaged, on time, and with
professionalism. NAVL does all 3. You just manage the undamaged part.

<My personalized service is far superior and my customer base knows
it.> Apparently that "customer base" isn't big enough, or else you
wouldn't be panhandling here. Explain EXACTLY how your service is
better, beyond paying a little more attention to detail in wrapping the
games. Your "better" service includes: noncommital timelines, horrible
communication, flaking out on delivery dates/times.
June 22, 2005 7:15:17 PM

BOOM....take down, 2 pts!

nomad
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:16:47 PM

I have no problem standing by my word, and yes I do offer discounts,
timeframes and free insurance. NAVL dosen't bother me other then they
breached contract with me.NAVL has 6000 trucks on the road and also bid
there long haul to any freight forwarding company that will run the
cheapest way possible,whoever wants that go for it. If this person knew
as much as he says he knows about the shipping business he would be able
to tell you the actual logistics of the shipping business and the facts
of NAVL. I am not wasting my time bashing other companies, I have better
things to do. My program is to devise a solution to rising fuel costs,
filling vans to compacity, and offering the best service around. That's
what it's all about. You don't like that use NAVL, I don't care. My
personalized service is far superior and my customer base knows it.

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:29:00 PM

LOL! Michelle, you rock. Once Eric learns you to tell the truth and
type above a 3rd grade level, you'll have stiff competition for sure
;-)

Keep up the good work. NAVL's tops IMO!
Ben
June 23, 2005 6:35:58 AM

Cool that she reads the group - I had a machine delivered
from Texas and as expected... no worries ;-)

"BWAGNER5150" <wagner_benjamin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> LOL! Michelle, you rock. Once Eric learns you to tell the truth and
> type above a 3rd grade level, you'll have stiff competition for sure
> ;-)
>
> Keep up the good work. NAVL's tops IMO!
> Ben

Anonymous