A few oc problems

Btrigg

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
I recently (and maybe foolishly) bought a 2500+ barton athlon. I have have a kt333 gigabyte board, and was planning on pushing the bus from 133 to 166 to allow the barton to run at the speed it's supposed to, the problem I've run into is when pushing the fsb too far, I either get a blank screen, and the bios resets the fsb to default (I think this is because I haven't unlocked my proc) or I push it past a certain point, and it posts and then gives a blinking cursor in at the top left of the screen, and nothing happens. Any ideas as to why this is happenning, I thought that the chipset would let you run at whatever speed you want, and if it didn't work, it would crash in windows or something, but it's not even letting me run the higher speeds, is this all due to my locked proc? BTW, the system is watercooled, so temp isn't an issue.

ya weird how things never go as you want it! I wanted to take my 2ghz intel at 100mhz fsb and just simply raise it to 133 to get 2.66ghz. lol! oh man reality sat in. The highest i could get it was 2.53 and that was hella unstable. I got it at 2.4ghz but after awhile i started to get some serious problems. So i had to clock it back to 2ghz.

those barton cpus are rpetty fast. Why do you want to overclock it for? i'm sure it'll run fast even when not overclocked.

Esepcially on a VIA chipset your gonna run into a lot of problems down the road. Just don't overclock it. Like how fast do you want to open word? i mean really?

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Give us some more details about your system....

What Motherboard do you have??

What kind AND speed ram do you have ???

a 2500+ Barton is a 1833MHz part..correct ???

so its 11.0 Multiplier and 166MHz FSB....

Now i heard somewhere that not ALL KT333 Chipset motherboards have the 1/5th PCI Divider.....that might be your problem.......the other problem you might be having is that you didnt update your BIOS to the latest for your motherboard.......try updating the bios to the absolute latest while running at 133Mhz FSB.....

your ram NEEDS to be AT LEAST PC-2700 DDR...if its PC-2100 that is more than likely also why your CPU isnt runnign when u select 166MHz FSB...also make sure the memory speed in the BIOS is set to 1:1.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
read his post.. he isnt trying to overclock it.. the barton core athlons run with a 33fsb. all hes trying to do is run it at its rated speed. im not sure but i think the kt333 boards only support 266fsb and 333 ram. if that the case then your board probably doesny have the right dividers to run at 333 without putting other components..(pci, agp) out of spec.

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

hmmm ya maybe your right. in that case he needs a new motherboard then. nforce2 in particular i know supports 166.

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>