Need some help with AMD heatsink

CleteBerry

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
I accidentally pulled the heatsink (the standard one that comes with the retail CPU) off my 2000+ XP. The pink thermal padding is pretty messed up now. Should I just forget about it and just reinstall the heatsink or take off all the pink padding and replace it with some thermal compound? If I remove the pink thermal padding, can I use typical rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol) to clean it off the heatsink and CPU? Thanks.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Scrape off all the rubbery goop from the heat sink with a blunt edged scraper (nothing that will scratch the sink), clean it with isopropal alcohol and tissue paper until you have bare, shiny metal.

Now dip a q-tip into the alcohol and clean the top of the CPU mirror clean.

Put a small dab of heat sink grease about the size of a match head on the cpu's heat island. Gently tap it out smooth across the entire surface of the island with your finger. (Yes I said "tap", not "rub")

Replace the heat sink, being sure not to wiggle it around... that will wipe away the grease.

Enjoy your system.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

nesnejeba

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
I agree with everything you said except for the finger part.. dont use your finger.. it contains oils. Im sure you didnt mean literly, but just making sure.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
thats right, but you can use your finger if you put it in a plastic baggy first...

"Apple is more like the French army. They have great style and class, they often get praised for their valor, and they do everything except win."-<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">Ed Stroligo</A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
The heat sink greases are usually suspended in mineral oils, the little bit of oil on your finger isn't going to affect much... so long as your hand is clean.

The plastic bag thing you see on the arctic silver site is a good idea, but hardly necessary.

RCPilot

Champion
I know a guy that just uses common bearing grease. I thought that he'd burn the chip up, but he ran it 2 years that way. He just got a 2.4 Intel to upgrade & you guessed it, went out in the garage & got a dab of bearing grease & it's running that way right now. Go Figure!

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Probably thinks it makes his CPU go faster :smile:

Actually just about anything that keeps air out of the thermal junction between sink and chip will give some cooling advantage... some things work better than others.