Sony DSC-W5 shuts down when photo is taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kits

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hi there.

Recently, I dug up my old Sony DSC-W5. It started fine, it was in review mode, looked at some old pictures from 2006 and then I went to take a photo. I set the mode dial to the P icon and pressed the shutter button. The camera clicked quietly and shut off without retracting the telescopic zoom thingy. (Sorry, I'm no good with camera terminology) Thinking it was the old batteries in it, I replaced them with a new set that was bought a few days ago, this didn't seem to fix the problem. I tinkered with the dial some more, and discovered that review mode works perfectly, the automatic mode works when it wants to and nothing else seems to go. I did a reset and everything I could think about. Now, it turns on for a seconds moves the telescopic thing a bit and shuts off, leaving the zoom thingy out still.
I tested the batteries with a multimeter, the first AA was 1.637 and the other was 1.645 which seems okay.

Does anyone know how to fix this before I take it to Sony and shell out $100 for them to 'Inspect' it (I might be able to get it for free though) or should I just buy a new camera?

Thanks for reading this :3

Solution
Well I would only let Sony take a look at it if it's still under warranty, but not otherwise if it's going to cost you 100 bucks minimum to have a camera in that price bracket examined, plus possibly more if parts are required.

It would in my opinion be better to put that 100 bucks towards a replacement camera, or how about an xmas pressy from a family member if it's not too late?
Well I would only let Sony take a look at it if it's still under warranty, but not otherwise if it's going to cost you 100 bucks minimum to have a camera in that price bracket examined, plus possibly more if parts are required.

It would in my opinion be better to put that 100 bucks towards a replacement camera, or how about an xmas pressy from a family member if it's not too late?

Solution

Kits

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hey Phil, I should of posted that I got it going, so sorry about that! It was a problem with the battery. The AA's from the supermarket just aren't good enough! And since it is an old 5MP camera from '04, I'm getting a Nikon D3200 with a few lenses and other goodies to go with it for Christmas! You must be a mind-reader!
Anyway, thanks for posting, I thought the thread died.

Status
Not open for further replies.