ty

I had a problem with my LAN adapter (on board) and I ended up uninstalling
it. My system has been crawling since I uninstalled the driver and the
device itself in control panel. I did a winsock reset but that hasn't
helped. I would hate to have to reinstall XP.
I'm running XP Pro SP2 on a P1.4 desktop with 256MB.
Any way to figure out what's causing the problem? (e.g opening the system
folder takes over 5 minutes and when I click on device manager nothing
happens).
Thanks in advance.

On-board whatever (video, sound, network, modem) usually has a method of
telling the PC/motherboard that it is "disabled" or "turned off". Check
with your manual or on the PC maker's web site. Then, the your PC that the
LAN (network) adapter is turned off.