BIOS shot?

Hi
I have an old dell 4100 running at 867mhz. I just installed a dvd
drive. When I tried to boot it bck up, it would not go past the dell
logo, and no hard drive activity (sound). I have also tried
unplugging the dvd drive. I didnt ground myself, so possibly I fried
the motherboard (though never touched it) Thanks

You may have but I highly doubt it. I only touch the frame a time or two and
that is sufficient. My guess would be that you have inadvertently pulled or
loosened a cable somewhere. Also did you set the BIOS for auto instead of
none for the drive? Check all of the IDE cables and power plugs very
carefully to be sure they are completely plugged in and secure.

Regards,
John O.

"acprkit" <acprkit@optonline-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have an old dell 4100 running at 867mhz. I just installed a dvd
> drive. When I tried to boot it bck up, it would not go past the dell
> logo, and no hard drive activity (sound). I have also tried
> unplugging the dvd drive. I didnt ground myself, so possibly I fried
> the motherboard (though never touched it) Thanks

Check the jumpers on the drive you added. Check the IDE cable for the drive.
The cable should the typical cable select one used most often (all the time?) by
Dell. If it is cable select, set the DVD drive jumper to CS.

There's enough life in the system that you probably did not fry the motherboard.
Reset the motherboard CMOS via the CMOS jumper on the motherboard. If you have
never replaced the C2032 battery on the motherboard, do so. If the battery is
more than 3 years old, replace it.

At least those are some quick suggestions. Hope they help... Ben Myers