Sign in with
Your question

Graphics slow after upgrading..

Last response: in CPUs
March 5, 2003 11:18:43 PM

This sucks.

My computer setup performed flawlessly in my old setup. Athlon XP 2000+, K7s5a board (SiS735) and 5200rpm hard drive. Oh, and G4 MX440.

Well I kept the k7s5a and 5200rpm hard drive and upgraded to an Athlon xp 2400+ bcore overclocked to 2200mhz. Also got rid of the mx440 and got a Ti4200.

Things ran EVEN BETTER.

Well, two days ago I swapped out the aging chipset, k7s5a, and put in an MSI nforce2 board (w/o onboard graphics).

SO SLOW. All my drivers are installed, I THINK. Everything seems good to go... But my games are so sluggish and picture filled web pages IE sportszone.com run choppy. Im even overclocking the Ti4200.

Today I installed a new 7200rpm hard drive. Brand new windows, everything, ddint copy ANYTHING over from old drive except some saved games. But everything is still slow :(  It worked before on the old board. Any ideas?

Athlon 2400+ OC - 2200mhz
Windows ME
MSI Nforce2 w/o onboard graphics
Gforce4 Ti4200

I figure since I did a complete fresh install today of everything that it must be something in the BIOS, maybe.

Also under "system devices" there is no device for AGP slot. Though it probably doesnt mean anything. But there was for my k7s5a...
March 6, 2003 12:08:14 AM

Hi,
I had the same problem with my Asus A7N8X motherboard. I forgot to install the Nvidia N-Force 2 drivers. This caused the AGP bus to run at 1X instead of 4X. I was getting the choppy screens in IE and the games were bad too. I only got 5800 in 3D Mark 2001, but with AGP 4X enabled, i got over 7,000. So, get the CD with the drivers and reinstall the drivers. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the display driver. Good luck.
March 6, 2003 1:23:31 AM

THats interesting.

I thought I installed them, though I cant be to sure.

However, under Aida32 it says Im running a 4x/8x agp port currently running at 4x (which is the speed of my vid card). So.... I dont know what to think.

Under system devices do you have a device for the agp? It just seems weird that I dont. The agp is a system device afterall, a major one at that, and my k7s5a had it under system devices.....
Related resources
March 6, 2003 3:12:08 AM

Got any yellow question marks?

Sounds like you either don't have the drivers installed or an error occured during the install. Try re-doing the drivers and see what happens.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>
March 6, 2003 3:23:00 AM

Thought Id add,

whats anti aliasing? Looked in options, its off. So is anisotropic filtering (whatever that is) and texture sharpening. Just thought Id add that.

Also 8x is disabled since the manual says to if your card does not support. Display/advanced/some tab says Im at 4x, where I should be...
March 6, 2003 3:37:38 AM

Hi,

Ok NOW I have "nvidia AGP host to PCI" or something like that under device drivers. HOWEVER the graphics prob is still there........

ALso the sound stutters. Interesting huh? Didnt happen before Nforce2, and IM using the same crappy pci audio card I was using with my old k7s5a. In games, graphics would be smooth and when you moved over the landscape (like in Medieval Total War) it would be smooth and sound would be smooth.

Now, its choppy, and sound stutters when you move over the landscape like the cpu cant handle graphics AND sound. This happens also when I tried onboard sound. Interesting......

Maybe something in BIOS? I dunno
March 6, 2003 3:54:02 AM

Using Windows ME was your first mistake....
Anyway, sounds like nothing more than a drivers problem. Also, are you running the memory in your nForce2 in pairs? If not, that can cut down on your performance a lot.....

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
March 6, 2003 4:39:05 AM

Yeah I know Me is a mistake, but it was free. Got it at a Microsoft convention. The sad part is, a few years later I got XP at a microsoft convention but gave it to someone :( 

So its Me for me, for now.

Anyways, no Im not using dual DDr, but my memory benchmarks are WAY higher anyways being on an nforce2 board than they were on the k7s5a, which the games ran great on.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I am switching my 512mb pc2100 out for 2X256mb pc2700 so I can get dual ddr, tho I probably wont notice besides actual benchmarks. Any other ideas?

BTW, I actually have TWO sticks of 512mb pc2100 memory. WHy no dual ddr? Well because AWESOME Me doesnt support over 512mb. I tried once, before I knew,lost EVERYTHING in the hard drive.
March 6, 2003 8:26:42 AM

That's your problem. The nforce2 chipset runs perfectly on win2k or winXP. It has problems with other o/s's, as it's just to new. Think about it, winME is already 3 years old.. win98 is 5.. what other software are you using that's even close to that old? It's time to upgrade :) 
March 6, 2003 1:22:52 PM

Quote:
That's your problem. The nforce2 chipset runs perfectly on win2k or winXP. It has problems with other o/s's, as it's just to new. Think about it, winME is already 3 years old.. win98 is 5.. what other software are you using that's even close to that old? It's time to upgrade :) 

its not an operating system problem.. im running an nforce2 with win98se and its fast as f**k! try running everything at their default speeds and see if that improves anything. if not then its almost certainly driver related

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
March 6, 2003 2:39:27 PM

Hmmm.....

I believe you. The only thing I have access to is Win2000. Thats not made for games is it? Should I just use that? Cant get XP right now, spent to much upgrading comp.
March 6, 2003 10:07:31 PM

i got mad scared when that happened to me, it's just the drivers where not loaded, Load everything from your ASUS disc, and then also i went to the Nvidia site and downloaded and installed the latest Drivers and everything was mad nice!

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2
March 11, 2003 4:31:56 PM

eh? Windows 98SE which I assume you are refering to has so many problems with nforce2 boards.
Greatest of all is the problems with drivers, especially on the K7N2.

Basically If you want a nice rig, use XP Pro and tweak it.
Take out everthing you dont need/want. And If you HAVE to, do a dual boot with Win 98SE.

If you gotta go, go with a smile/y.
!