Internet Explorer: homepage hijacked?

I usually have www.msn.com as my homepage. Sometimes now, though, it goes
to http://hp.netscape.com/hp.adp (Hewlett Packard's Netscape page?). It's a
HP machine.

When I go to the options, it has something weird like ?? or U as the
homepage. I change it to www.msn.com again but it doesn't stay that way.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer homepage hijacked

    In addition make sure you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed and turn
    on its firewall.
    Turn off "Enable third-party browser extensions" in Internet Explorer by
    going to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced (tab), uncheck "Enable third-party
    browser extensions", click Apply then click OK.

    Also download SpywareBlaster and install it, update it, and run it.

    And for good measure read the following articles:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

    Learn how to boot your machine into Safe Mode to run some of the tools to
    rid your system of spyware. To do this, reboot and press the "F8" key after
    the intial bios screen...RAM test, etc. but before Windows XP Boot appears.

    Good luck!

    DA

    "daslf" wrote:

    > I usually have www.msn.com as my homepage. Sometimes now, though, it goes
    > to http://hp.netscape.com/hp.adp (Hewlett Packard's Netscape page?). It's a
    > HP machine.
    >
    > When I go to the options, it has something weird like ?? or U as the
    > homepage. I change it to www.msn.com again but it doesn't stay that way.
    >
    > Thanks

    Download, install, update and run all of the following.

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

    Ewido Security Suite Trial version

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
    I can analyze it.

    HijackThis

    "daslf" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote in message
    >I usually have www.msn.com as my homepage. Sometimes now, though, it goes
    >to http://hp.netscape.com/hp.adp (Hewlett Packard's Netscape page?). It's
    >a HP machine.
    >
    > When I go to the options, it has something weird like ?? or U as the
    > homepage. I change it to www.msn.com again but it doesn't stay that way.
    >
    > Thanks

    Thank you! Once I had the first one running my homepage was no longer being
    hijacked. Once I had them all running, my "search" toolbar was no longer
    being hijacked by Starware.

    Now that I've run all of those, do I need to follow the steps given on the
    majorgeeks link that Dark Apprentice gives or should I wait until I have
    problems?

    Thanks again
    "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    > Download, install, update and run all of the following.
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe
    >
    > Spybot search and destroy
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe
    >
    > Ewido Security Suite Trial version
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/ewidosetup.exe
    >
    > Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
    >
    > If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it,
    > save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group
    > so that I can analyze it.
    >
    > HijackThis
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip

    > "daslf" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote in message
    >>I usually have www.msn.com as my homepage. Sometimes now, though, it goes
    >>to http://hp.netscape.com/hp.adp (Hewlett Packard's Netscape page?). It's
    >>a HP machine.
    >>
    >> When I go to the options, it has something weird like ?? or U as the
    >> homepage. I change it to www.msn.com again but it doesn't stay that way.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Sorry I deleted his message and forgot what it said but if everything is
    working ok then probably not.

    > Thank you! Once I had the first one running my homepage was no longer
    > being hijacked. Once I had them all running, my "search" toolbar was no
    > longer being hijacked by Starware.
    >
    > Now that I've run all of those, do I need to follow the steps given on the
    > majorgeeks link that Dark Apprentice gives or should I wait until I have
    > problems?
    >
    > Thanks again
    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >> Download, install, update and run all of the following.
    >>
    >> Ad-Aware
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe
    >>
    >> Spybot search and destroy
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe
    >>
    >> Ewido Security Suite Trial version
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/ewidosetup.exe
    >>
    >> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
    >>
    >> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it,
    >> save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group
    >> so that I can analyze it.
    >>
    >> HijackThis
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip
    >>
    >> --

    >> "daslf" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote in message
    >>>I usually have www.msn.com as my homepage. Sometimes now, though, it
    >>>goes to http://hp.netscape.com/hp.adp (Hewlett Packard's Netscape page?).
    >>>It's a HP machine.
    >>>
    >>> When I go to the options, it has something weird like ?? or U as the
    >>> homepage. I change it to www.msn.com again but it doesn't stay that
    >>> way.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

Internet Explorer Hewlett Packard MSN Windows XP