overheating

bhunt1970

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2003
A few months ago I built my mom and pop an amd 1900 rig. I installed xp etc etc. No problems until recently.

My mom calls and says they are locking up and have been since saturday, she says it's when she uses AOL email (I know I try to talk them out of it but it's easy for them). So when I go over tonight, I install norton systemworks, check the bios to see if anything looks kooky, everything seems to be ok. Then I log into AOL, tool around there for 2 or three minutes, play around on the email...thats not the problem. I minimize AOL click on the little tool bar norton to check the system and it locks up.

reboot

check some stuff in the case, make sure all fans are running etc. Tool around some more with the comp on, then randomly lock up. This continued a couple times at different times of my computing experience.

Check bios - cpu temp is listing at 118 immediately after lock up and boot, so I think maybe it's locking because of heat. I take off the volcano 6 to check it out. I had left the goo that is on the bottom of the heatsink on (the generic heat disapator), I had also originally put a little artic silver on there.

I wipe down the heatsink and look at the chip, it has what appears to be some of that black goo in a small clump on it. So now I am thinking it may have been the heat.

So what do I do? Where should I start? Try a new heatsink? Scrap the chip (although I don't think it's ruined), could it possibly be memory or the motherboard?

any idea, suggestions, or warnings?

Also, how to I "clean" my cpu to get all the original thermal paste off of it?

DarkLoOp

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002
118c or 118f temp? Also whats your system specs?

Ahhh computers are such a pain in the ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS they always have problems always!

bhunt1970

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2003
yeah 118f...but thats right at boot in bios. 118c is something like 244f hehe.

system specs

190 amd xp
win xp
crucial 256 ddr mem - sorry don't remember what kind I put in there.
volcano6 hs and fan

typical maxtor hdd etc.

all my voltages are default on a 300w power supply.

I didn't do anything to this rig since it is my parents and they could care less about having the fastest computer on earth. They just need it to check email and play a little hitman.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
It sounds like your temps are not that bad. Follow the instructions at the arctic silver website when reinstalling the heatsink. (btw... you should never mix thermal solutions like putting on AS with the stock goop.)

It might be a driver or software issue. What has been installed or removed lately? Could be something you have running in the background... are unnecessary services disabled? What about startup programs you don't need? Things like that.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>