desktop icon anomoly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello eveyone,

I know this sounds weird, but.....
I've noticed that the shadow underneath the text of my desktop icons seem
to leave a small image when they are moved. It seems to happen a lot if an
underscore _ is part of the text.

For example if I have an icon called install_street, and I then move the
icon, the shadow of the underscore will stay where it is.

If I then move any icon over the underscore it will disapear.

Any ideas to what is causing this, what I can do to resolve this, or
pointers to where I can find an answer.

Thanks
Adam
3 answers Last reply
More about desktop icon anomoly
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hmmm. Doesn't sound like a software issue. Does this also happen when you
    use a different monitor with your computer?

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "adam" <prowl*ngt*gerathotma*ldotcom> wrote in message
    > Hello eveyone,
    >
    > I know this sounds weird, but.....
    > I've noticed that the shadow underneath the text of my desktop icons seem
    > to leave a small image when they are moved. It seems to happen a lot if an
    > underscore _ is part of the text.
    >
    > For example if I have an icon called install_street, and I then move the
    > icon, the shadow of the underscore will stay where it is.
    >
    > If I then move any icon over the underscore it will disapear.
    >
    > Any ideas to what is causing this, what I can do to resolve this, or
    > pointers to where I can find an answer.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Adam

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "adam" <prowl*ngt*gerathotma*ldotcom> wrote:

    |>Hello eveyone,
    |>
    |>I know this sounds weird, but.....
    |>I've noticed that the shadow underneath the text of my desktop icons seem
    |>to leave a small image when they are moved. It seems to happen a lot if an
    |>underscore _ is part of the text.
    |>
    |>For example if I have an icon called install_street, and I then move the
    |>icon, the shadow of the underscore will stay where it is.
    |>
    |>If I then move any icon over the underscore it will disapear.
    |>
    |>Any ideas to what is causing this, what I can do to resolve this, or
    |>pointers to where I can find an answer.

    Not refreshing right, if you hit F5 it should disappear, upgrade your
    video drivers.
    --
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ted wrote:
    Does this also happen when you use a different monitor with your
    computer?

    I'm going try a different monitor over the weekend.

    Pennywise wrote:
    upgrade your video drivers.

    Done that. Made no difference.

    As a temporary solution I did discover that if I went into "system
    properties and unchecked "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"
    the problem goes away.

    Adam

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP