200mg

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2003
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this in but....

I find myself turning my cpu on and off alot. i have a p4 2G running winxp pro. I'm just wondering if I should turn it off every night or let it run and restart occasionally. It gets used every day, sometimes for 5 or 6 hours at a time.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
restarting occasionally can help stability by clearing out the ram, but it's not necessary to restart the computer a lot
every few days is probably a good idea to clear the system memory, but there are people who leave theirs on all the time with no adverse effects
it's not a big deal

--------------
I LOVE DANGER DEN WATERCOOLING, they went out of their way to both personalize my kit and change my order when i needed to, i had to change my sig to give them props

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
It doesn't matter. Some people say turning it on and off a lot can shorten the life of a CPU. It might, but who cares. I don't know what the average lifespan of a cpu is, but its probably going to be worthless in 4-5 years. Besides your protecting the enviornment by saving electricity when you turn it off.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I generally turn mine on in the morning and shut down about mid-evening to catch a movie. I let it fall into standby during the day when I'm working on systems. I figure that if I'm going to be away from it for more than a couple of hours I might as well save a bit on electricity.

Lots of people leave their machines on all the time, aside from a bit more wear and tear on hard drives and fans (both of which should last 2 or 3 years in constant use) it shouldn't pose any problems.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

I shut mine off an on all day long no problems. When I'm finished using it at knight I shut it off. The elec company makes enough money. Don't like paying them when not using. Waiting till April to finish upgrading my system. I'm running old AMD 500 still running strong.