installing XP Pro copy file errors

When I attempt to install XP Pro on a new hard drive, towards the finish I
get errors "cannot copy ..." various files, although I'm trying 2 different
new XP Pro CD's, and reformatted the drive after unsuccessful attempts. The
CD drive has never been malfunctioned before.
Thanks for any help!
7 answers Last reply
More about installing copy file errors

    Is the hard drive you're using big enough?

    RCOC wrote:

    > When I attempt to install XP Pro on a new hard drive, towards the
    > finish I get errors "cannot copy ..." various files, although I'm
    > trying 2 different
    > new XP Pro CD's, and reformatted the drive after unsuccessful
    > attempts. The CD drive has never been malfunctioned before.
    > Thanks for any help!

    These types of errors are usually because of hardware failures. The
    newness of the hardware is irrelevant; in fact, if hardware is going to
    fail it usually does so right away.

    The first thing to test is your RAM. I like Memtest86+ from
    www.memtest.org. Obviously, you have to get the program from a working
    machine. You will either download the precompiled Windows binary to
    make a bootable floppy or the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want
    to use the latter, you'll need to have third-party burning software on
    the machine where you download the file - XP's built-in burning
    capability won't do the job. In either case, boot with the media you
    made. The test will run immediately. Let the test run for an extended
    period of time - unless errors are seen immediately. If you get any
    errors, replace the RAM.

    If the RAM tests good, then run the drive mftr.'s diagnostic on your new
    hard drive. I've had hard drives fail right out of the box.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    another idea to consider is placing the drive in a working computer, use
    BCWipe to clean any "stray" data that could be causing problems, then try to
    install XP again.

    "RCOC" wrote:

    > When I attempt to install XP Pro on a new hard drive, towards the finish I
    > get errors "cannot copy ..." various files, although I'm trying 2 different
    > new XP Pro CD's, and reformatted the drive after unsuccessful attempts. The
    > CD drive has never been malfunctioned before.
    > Thanks for any help!

    You would be surprised at the various problems deficient, bad or improperly
    matched RAM can cause.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    RCOC wrote:
    > When I attempt to install XP Pro on a new hard drive, towards the finish I
    > get errors "cannot copy ..." various files, although I'm trying 2 different
    > new XP Pro CD's, and reformatted the drive after unsuccessful attempts. The
    > CD drive has never been malfunctioned before.
    > Thanks for any help!

    Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
    most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
    likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On very
    rare occasions the installation CD is the problem.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in

    > RCOC wrote:
    >
    >> When I attempt to install XP Pro on a new hard drive, towards
    >> the finish I get errors "cannot copy ..." various files,
    >> although I'm trying 2 different
    >> new XP Pro CD's, and reformatted the drive after unsuccessful
    >> attempts. The CD drive has never been malfunctioned before.
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >
    > These types of errors are usually because of hardware failures.
    > The newness of the hardware is irrelevant; in fact, if hardware
    > is going to fail it usually does so right away.
    >
    > The first thing to test is your RAM. I like Memtest86+ from
    > www.memtest.org. Obviously, you have to get the program from a
    > working machine. You will either download the precompiled
    > Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to make a
    > bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have
    > third-party burning software on the machine where you download
    > the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. In
    > either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    > immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time -
    > unless errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors,
    > replace the RAM.
    >
    > If the RAM tests good, then run the drive mftr.'s diagnostic on
    > your new hard drive. I've had hard drives fail right out of the
    > box.

    Although what you say is true in some cases, I cannot agree with
    your assertion that hardware fault is *usually* the problem.

    In my experience the majority of the cases where this error has
    occurred was on systems that do not exhibit any hardware problems.
    I have checked the MS CD media and found no problems reading an
    entire installation CD using XP. However, on the same system
    including CD drive, read errors are reported during installaion of
    XP and mostly unrecoverable.

    The problems have been experienced with original MS XP Home SP2 OEM
    CD media and trying alternative CD media is ineffective.

    My guess is that the problem is down to a flaky driver or buggy
    error recovery process in the XP installation environment build.

    McSpreader wrote:

    > Although what you say is true in some cases, I cannot agree with
    > your assertion that hardware fault is *usually* the problem.
    >
    > In my experience the majority of the cases where this error has
    > occurred was on systems that do not exhibit any hardware problems.

    And, in my experience, this specific problem has always been caused by
    defective or substandard hardware. Just because the same hardware
    seemed to work fine with an earlier OS is no indication that it'll work
    with WinXP.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: