  • Java
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 9, 2005 5:27:14 PM

G'day all; some time back, in a moment of apparently utter stupidity, I
downloaded and installed the latest version of Sun's Java product.

Now, as I'm trying to trace some system problems back, I've come up to the
place where I installed it...and can't seem to get rid of the darn thing.
Does anybody reading here have any idea of how to best rip that thing out by
the roots?

TIA,
Dusty

More about : rid sun java j2se

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:39:59 PM

Have you tried control panel>add or remove programs?

It's showing up as a program i can remove on that list on my computer.

"DustyB" <pc_phixer@innerDROPTHISlodge.com> wrote in message
> G'day all; some time back, in a moment of apparently utter stupidity, I
> downloaded and installed the latest version of Sun's Java product.
>
> Now, as I'm trying to trace some system problems back, I've come up to the
> place where I installed it...and can't seem to get rid of the darn thing.
> Does anybody reading here have any idea of how to best rip that thing out
> by the roots?
>

> TIA,
> Dusty

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:40:00 PM

Hello Jack & all;

"Jack Handey" <nothere@overthere.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried control panel>add or remove programs?
>
> It's showing up as a program i can remove on that list on my computer.
Tried that first. Found:
"J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4". Clicked on "Remove", and it sez:
"Error 1606. Could not access network location %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start
Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\".

So, following some other instructions, I ended up creating that entry. And
it still won't let me delete it.

In fact, it wuz just for such a similar problem with installing another
program file that I'm on this path to begin with. Now, hours & days later,
I'm no closer, and not getting it done any better.

At any rate, I'm about to launch on your path of "hunt 'em down &
exterminate 'em one-by-one". I guess I wuz just hopin' that there was a
cleaner, easier method. Now all I've got to do is find somebody big, ugly,
and nasty; so I can have 'em kick my butt up between my shoulder blades if I
even so much as _think_ about installing Java again...<big sigh!>

Thanks for your tip, Jack.

L8r all,
Dusty
August 10, 2005 4:07:01 AM

One other dumb thought here before you have to get drastic with it. See if
you can't reinstall it then see if it will let you do an uninstall. A fresh
install might correct whatever it is that won't let uninstall it from the
add/remove programs area.

> Hello Jack & all;
>
> "Jack Handey" <nothere@overthere.com> wrote in message
>> Have you tried control panel>add or remove programs?
>>
>> It's showing up as a program i can remove on that list on my computer.
> Tried that first. Found:
> "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4". Clicked on "Remove", and it sez:
> "Error 1606. Could not access network location %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start
> Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\".
>
> So, following some other instructions, I ended up creating that entry.
> And it still won't let me delete it.
>
> In fact, it wuz just for such a similar problem with installing another
> program file that I'm on this path to begin with. Now, hours & days
> later, I'm no closer, and not getting it done any better.
>
> At any rate, I'm about to launch on your path of "hunt 'em down &
> exterminate 'em one-by-one". I guess I wuz just hopin' that there was a
> cleaner, easier method. Now all I've got to do is find somebody big,
> ugly, and nasty; so I can have 'em kick my butt up between my shoulder
> blades if I even so much as _think_ about installing Java again...<big
> sigh!>
>
> Thanks for your tip, Jack.
>

> L8r all,
> Dusty

August 10, 2005 4:07:02 AM

> One other dumb thought here before you have to get drastic with it. See if
> you can't reinstall it then see if it will let you do an uninstall. A
> fresh install might correct whatever it is that won't let uninstall it
> from the add/remove programs area.
Good point, Jack. While I don't relish either the 130+MB download or the
thought of installing that odious program, that sounds like an interesting
option...

Thanks!

Dusty