I give up, it will never be right

hineigger

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
I once had an Athlon 2000+ on a K7s5a. Everything was bueatiful. Everything was smooth. I LOVED IT.

THen I made the mistake of getting an Nforce2 board. Along with that, I got an athlon 2400+ and a 7200rom hard drive and a geforce4 ti4200 among other things.

Well Mellenium was not compatible with nforce2, or so I had been told. Games ran SO SLOW no matter what. I upgraded to win2k and guess what games are still the same slow speed they were with nforce2 but NOW my eyes hurt because win2k sucks with refresh rates. After messing around with 100 different patches, I SORT OF have some refresh rates correct. But the games are again so slow. All drivers etc are fine.

I give up. I hate this. I wish I never upgraded anything.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If, by refresh rates, you mean the video refresh, you can set that mode by mode in your display properties. Right click your open desktop, select Properties, then Advanced, then Monitor and set it to about 70hz (for the average monitor). Do this in each display mode your monitor can handle and you won't ever have to look at a flickering screen again.

As for things being slow... did you install the chipset drivers from the manufacturer? Win2k with SP2 or 3 will support AGP 4x, (AGP 2x with SP1 or no service packs) beyond that you need to replace the native AGP drivers with those specifically for your video card. Same with IDE, ATA100 max on SP2 or 3 (ata66 on sp1 or bareback), beyond that you need chipset drivers installed to get full speed.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
What drivers, what motherboard, what did you do?

Get rid of WinME.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">The French are being described as cheese-eating surrender monkeys.</A></font color=red>

hineigger

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
Im on win2k now. Not much better. I once had a 2000+ on a k7s5a.... Everything was so darn smooth. Now Im on a 2400+ on an msi nforce2, everything sucks. And the win2k has refresh rates problems though I almost have them cleared up... Although delta force has a huge green blotch on the screen...

Vid drivers are from nvidia's site... Motherboard drivers are latest from web page.

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
I agree with rain king, i have a measly 1700xp, but since i put a 9700 in my board i have no problem playing latest games even unreal 2 with 2x anti and 4x ani and no probs (even on win 98 hehe)! My next upgrade will be a 2400xp as my board support this but not the 2700 or above but i can easily set my fsb to 140 or more and have it runnin at 2.1ghz and more :). BTW i heard nforce 2 boards h8 anything other than windows xp (preferably pro aswell) coz they got better support for this os. Will be a while till i upgrade my board tho, I love my AMD 761 chipset heh.

hineigger

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
Ive had bad experiances with ATI's.... But I admit the benchmarks for the 9700 are enough for me to go back. But, price wise, not gonna happen :)

Im content with my $115 ti4200 until prices drop.

Mi_kal

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2003
I have Win 2K running perfectly by loading the Amd/agp patch, the service packs along and the latest dedicated Windows 2000 video card/sound card drivers on a fresh formatted hard drive. This on a MSI 745 (SIS) Ultra board with a XP1800.

Wish you the best, I know its a bummer when things are not working well.

Mikal

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
OK, don't get too bent out of shape here... Win2k is a somewhat different animal than 9X... First off it doesn't come out of the box in a "ready to run" configuration, you gotta go through quite a bit of setup to get it all tweaked up and working smooth...

1) Check your display properties and set up your video drivers and monitor refresh rates.

2) Get onto NTFS and learn how to tweak it for best performance. (Don't use the convert utility, reformat during install which means you may have to reinstall if you are on FAT32.)

3) Turn off all unnecessary services. You'll be amazed how much stuff is running that you simply don't need running...

4) Do some registry tweaking to optimize memory and priorities to your individual needs.

Generally it is a mistake to go tossing patches and upgrades into win2k without good reason. I use 2k pro with sp3, tweaked and de-serviced and I get really excellent results... but you gotta learn about and do some work before it's a really good system.

A good place to start is here:
<A HREF="http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/default.html" target="_new">http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/default.html</A>

(BTW.. don't do the OS2 disable thing they describe, there's a mistake on the page.)

There are lots of other sites too... try a google search for "Win2000 tweaks".

---> <b>Press ALT-F4 for IQ test</b><---

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I'm running a MSI K7N420 Pro (nForce 420-D, IGP is use) with zero problem for ten months. I'm using Win2000 (SP3 installed). I've also used WinXP, WinME and Win98SE with this mobo. I had problems with only Win98SE. WinME and WinXP also worked 100% flawlessly.

My advice for you.

1) Install Win2000 again (clean install, not upgrade)

2) Install Service Pack 3

3) Download and Install nForce Drivers (from nVidia website)

Submit your opinion <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=28537#28537" target="_new"> Should Tom Fire Omid? </A>