Retaining Restore Points

August 9, 2005 5:50:01 PM

I have an 80 GB hard disk with with ~80GB assigned to Drive C: and 40MB
assigned to Drive F: where Dell has some things stored. I have 1 GB (1%) on
C: reserved of restore and 39 MB (100%) reserved on Drive F:. It will not
allow me to set Drive F: to less than 39 MB. Frequently I find that restore
points which I have established are missing when I check for them. Do you
know why they are being deleted?
Thanks, Robert
August 9, 2005 6:00:13 PM

one restore point can take up as much as 250MB or more depending on how much
"stuff" you have on your computer. with so little space availible to the
system restore utility, it can't store very many restore points. i would
devote at least 4GB to system restore points on that 80GB HDD.

"rschmitt" wrote:

> I have an 80 GB hard disk with with ~80GB assigned to Drive C: and 40MB
> assigned to Drive F: where Dell has some things stored. I have 1 GB (1%) on
> C: reserved of restore and 39 MB (100%) reserved on Drive F:. It will not
> allow me to set Drive F: to less than 39 MB. Frequently I find that restore
> points which I have established are missing when I check for them. Do you
> know why they are being deleted?
> Thanks, Robert

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:59:26 PM

Many things can cause loss of Restore Points, when they are gone, they are
gone and can not be recovered or used.
Some of the things are:
Available space on hard drive
Computer usage
Space you dedicate to System Restore
Restore Points are deleted on a first in first out basis as allocated space
is used.

If you use Real Player, try doing without it for a few days:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812119
And others.

See this link for more about System Restore:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/f...

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"rschmitt" <rschmitt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an 80 GB hard disk with with ~80GB assigned to Drive C: and 40MB
> assigned to Drive F: where Dell has some things stored. I have 1 GB (1%)
> on
> C: reserved of restore and 39 MB (100%) reserved on Drive F:. It will not
> allow me to set Drive F: to less than 39 MB. Frequently I find that
> restore
> points which I have established are missing when I check for them. Do you
> know why they are being deleted?
> Thanks, Robert

August 9, 2005 10:55:39 PM

Hi Robert,

There's no need to let System Restore monitor drive F:\. If free disk space falls below
50mb's System Restore will automatically be disabled, and all restore points purged. I
suspect this is the case for the F:\ drive. You should have received a low disk space
warning. I would suggest stopping it from being monitored.

One GB of space for restore point storage should be sufficient. How many restore points do
you see now in the SR calendar? Two week of restore points should be plenty.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
information for each of the two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

rschmitt wrote:
> I have an 80 GB hard disk with with ~80GB assigned to
> Drive C: and 40MB assigned to Drive F: where Dell has
> some things stored. I have 1 GB (1%) on C: reserved of
> restore and 39 MB (100%) reserved on Drive F:. It will
> not allow me to set Drive F: to less than 39 MB.
> Frequently I find that restore points which I have
> established are missing when I check for them. Do you
> know why they are being deleted?
> Thanks, Robert
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:17:03 AM

Bert,
I disabled System Restore on drive F:\ and left drive C:\ at 1 GB. I'll give
it a while to see how it behaves.
Thanks for the advice,
Robert

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> There's no need to let System Restore monitor drive F:\. If free disk space falls below
> 50mb's System Restore will automatically be disabled, and all restore points purged. I
> suspect this is the case for the F:\ drive. You should have received a low disk space
> warning. I would suggest stopping it from being monitored.
>
> One GB of space for restore point storage should be sufficient. How many restore points do
> you see now in the SR calendar? Two week of restore points should be plenty.
>
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click on System in the left pane.
> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
> sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
> upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
> information for each of the two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> rschmitt wrote:
> > I have an 80 GB hard disk with with ~80GB assigned to
> > Drive C: and 40MB assigned to Drive F: where Dell has
> > some things stored. I have 1 GB (1%) on C: reserved of
> > restore and 39 MB (100%) reserved on Drive F:. It will
> > not allow me to set Drive F: to less than 39 MB.
> > Frequently I find that restore points which I have
> > established are missing when I check for them. Do you
> > know why they are being deleted?
> > Thanks, Robert

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:01:12 AM

You're welcome Robert.

--

rschmitt wrote:
> Bert,
> I disabled System Restore on drive F:\ and left drive C:\
> at 1 GB. I'll give it a while to see how it behaves.
> Thanks for the advice,
> Robert
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> There's no need to let System Restore monitor drive F:\.
>> If free disk space falls below 50mb's System Restore
>> will automatically be disabled, and all restore points
>> purged. I suspect this is the case for the F:\ drive.
>> You should have received a low disk space warning. I
>> would suggest stopping it from being monitored.
>>
>> One GB of space for restore point storage should be
>> sufficient. How many restore points do you see now in
>> the SR calendar? Two week of restore points should be
>> plenty.
>>
>> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
>> Click on System in the left pane.
>> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source
>> name column in the right pane to sort by source name,
>> look for "sr" and "srservice".
>> Double click on each of these events, then click on the
>> button below the two arrows in the upper right corner.
>> This will copy the event information to the clipboard.
>> Paste the information for each of the two event here.
>> This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>

>> rschmitt wrote:
>>> I have an 80 GB hard disk with with ~80GB assigned to
>>> Drive C: and 40MB assigned to Drive F: where Dell has
>>> some things stored. I have 1 GB (1%) on C: reserved of
>>> restore and 39 MB (100%) reserved on Drive F:. It will
>>> not allow me to set Drive F: to less than 39 MB.
>>> Frequently I find that restore points which I have
>>> established are missing when I check for them. Do you
>>> know why they are being deleted?
>>> Thanks, Robert
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:32:10 PM

Bert,
So far, so good. I checked my System Restore points and found that the one
which I created and the one that the system created yesterday are still in
tact. If they suddenly disappear without being replaced with a later restore
point, I'll try disabling Real Player and/or increasing HDD space allocated
for System Restore as suggested by your colleagues.
Thanks,
Robert

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> You're welcome Robert.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> rschmitt wrote:
> > Bert,
> > I disabled System Restore on drive F:\ and left drive C:\
> > at 1 GB. I'll give it a while to see how it behaves.
> > Thanks for the advice,
> > Robert
> >

> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Robert,
> >>
> >> There's no need to let System Restore monitor drive F:\.
> >> If free disk space falls below 50mb's System Restore
> >> will automatically be disabled, and all restore points
> >> purged. I suspect this is the case for the F:\ drive.
> >> You should have received a low disk space warning. I
> >> would suggest stopping it from being monitored.
> >>
> >> One GB of space for restore point storage should be
> >> sufficient. How many restore points do you see now in
> >> the SR calendar? Two week of restore points should be
> >> plenty.
> >>
> >> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> >> Click on System in the left pane.
> >> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source
> >> name column in the right pane to sort by source name,
> >> look for "sr" and "srservice".
> >> Double click on each of these events, then click on the
> >> button below the two arrows in the upper right corner.
> >> This will copy the event information to the clipboard.
> >> Paste the information for each of the two event here.
> >> This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://bertk.mvps.org

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:25:29 AM

Hi Robert,

The latest versions of Real Player don't cause problems with System Restore.

--

rschmitt wrote:
> Bert,
> So far, so good. I checked my System Restore points and
> found that the one which I created and the one that the
> system created yesterday are still in tact. If they
> suddenly disappear without being replaced with a later
> restore point, I'll try disabling Real Player and/or
> increasing HDD space allocated for System Restore as
> suggested by your colleagues.
> Thanks,
> Robert
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> You're welcome Robert.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>

>> rschmitt wrote:
>>> Bert,
>>> I disabled System Restore on drive F:\ and left drive
>>> C:\ at 1 GB. I'll give it a while to see how it behaves.
>>> Thanks for the advice,
>>> Robert

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 10:52:03 PM

Bert,
My system restore is now humming along with 11 restore points spread over 6
days. Your suggestion did the trick.
Thanks again,
Robert

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> The latest versions of Real Player don't cause problems with System Restore.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> rschmitt wrote:
> > Bert,
> > So far, so good. I checked my System Restore points and
> > found that the one which I created and the one that the
> > system created yesterday are still in tact. If they
> > suddenly disappear without being replaced with a later
> > restore point, I'll try disabling Real Player and/or
> > increasing HDD space allocated for System Restore as
> > suggested by your colleagues.
> > Thanks,
> > Robert
> >

> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> You're welcome Robert.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://bertk.mvps.org

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:56:42 PM

You're welcome and glad to see it's running correctly.

--

!