Problem administrating the router thru web interface.

Hi all,

I have recently reinstall my machine and it's longer able to get into
my MN700 router for administartion. I am getting "Gateway Timeout"
error from that machine when trying to go to http://192.168.2.1. The
strange thing is I am able to go to the internet from that machine and
to the router by http://192.168.2.1 from OTHER machine. So it should
not be the problem of the router itself.

Any idea?
7
answers
Last reply
More about problem administrating router interface

    If the router is in bridge mode it can only be accessed by
    name, not IP.

    That isn't the case. As long as your IP address is on the same network
    as the MN-700 you can browse to it's IP address. If you do a "nslookup
    router name" you will find that it does have an IP address. Thus you
    can connect to the IP address.

    lilo wrote:

    > If the router is in bridge mode it can only be accessed by
    > name, not IP.

    Well since both computers are behind the router I'd say it is one of
    several things. (I'm assuming that both computers are behind the MN-700
    because you only refer to "http://192.168.2.1" for the router.)

    1) A software firewall on the computer that can't connect is miss
    configured.

    2) The computers TCP/IP stack has been damaged.

    3) There is some sort of one or more of the following on the computer in
    question virus, spyware, mal-ware, &/or adware .

    Some things to try from the computer that is having the problem. Have
    it ping the MN-700 by both IP address & the name you assigned it. If
    you get replies from the IP address but it can't find the server then it
    is a DNS problem. I highly doubt that is the case since you said you
    went to the IP address of the router.

    I'm now out of ideas for now. I hope this helps. One other thing that
    would help is the version of Windows that is running on the computer
    with the problem.

    Tom wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have recently reinstall my machine and it's longer able to get into
    > my MN700 router for administartion. I am getting "Gateway Timeout"
    > error from that machine when trying to go to http://192.168.2.1. The
    > strange thing is I am able to go to the internet from that machine and
    > to the router by http://192.168.2.1 from OTHER machine. So it should
    > not be the problem of the router itself.
    >
    > Any idea?

    Where was my mind? The question was even different...

    Mahalo (thanks)

    Try turning off proxy on IE

    Thanks guys, I found another post that has solved my problem although
    I am not fully understood why.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=OnsJKNpGEHA.628%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

    joker <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message news:<#jW748aeEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > Well since both computers are behind the router I'd say it is one of
    > several things. (I'm assuming that both computers are behind the MN-700
    > because you only refer to "http://192.168.2.1" for the router.)
    >
    > 1) A software firewall on the computer that can't connect is miss
    > configured.
    >
    > 2) The computers TCP/IP stack has been damaged.
    >
    > 3) There is some sort of one or more of the following on the computer in
    > question virus, spyware, mal-ware, &/or adware .
    >
    > Some things to try from the computer that is having the problem. Have
    > it ping the MN-700 by both IP address & the name you assigned it. If
    > you get replies from the IP address but it can't find the server then it
    > is a DNS problem. I highly doubt that is the case since you said you
    > went to the IP address of the router.
    >
    > I'm now out of ideas for now. I hope this helps. One other thing that
    > would help is the version of Windows that is running on the computer
    > with the problem.
    >
    > Tom wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I have recently reinstall my machine and it's longer able to get into
    > > my MN700 router for administartion. I am getting "Gateway Timeout"
    > > error from that machine when trying to go to http://192.168.2.1. The
    > > strange thing is I am able to go to the internet from that machine and
    > > to the router by http://192.168.2.1 from OTHER machine. So it should
    > > not be the problem of the router itself.
    > >
    > > Any idea?

    Because IE was trying to connect to a proxy server which are only used
    on corporate networks.

    Tom wrote:
    > Thanks guys, I found another post that has solved my problem although
    > I am not fully understood why.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=OnsJKNpGEHA.628%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
    >

    > joker <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message news:<#jW748aeEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    >
    >>Well since both computers are behind the router I'd say it is one of
    >>several things. (I'm assuming that both computers are behind the MN-700
    >>because you only refer to "http://192.168.2.1" for the router.)
    >>
    >>1) A software firewall on the computer that can't connect is miss
    >>configured.
    >>
    >>2) The computers TCP/IP stack has been damaged.
    >>
    >>3) There is some sort of one or more of the following on the computer in
    >>question virus, spyware, mal-ware, &/or adware .
    >>
    >>Some things to try from the computer that is having the problem. Have
    >>it ping the MN-700 by both IP address & the name you assigned it. If
    >>you get replies from the IP address but it can't find the server then it
    >>is a DNS problem. I highly doubt that is the case since you said you
    >>went to the IP address of the router.
    >>
    >>I'm now out of ideas for now. I hope this helps. One other thing that
    >>would help is the version of Windows that is running on the computer
    >>with the problem.
    >>
    >>Tom wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>I have recently reinstall my machine and it's longer able to get into
    >>>my MN700 router for administartion. I am getting "Gateway Timeout"
    >>>error from that machine when trying to go to http://192.168.2.1. The
    >>>strange thing is I am able to go to the internet from that machine and
    >>>to the router by http://192.168.2.1 from OTHER machine. So it should
    >>>not be the problem of the router itself.
    >>>
    >>>Any idea?

Routers Hardware Microsoft Networking