Problem administrating the router thru web interface.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all,

I have recently reinstall my machine and it's longer able to get into
my MN700 router for administartion. I am getting "Gateway Timeout"
error from that machine when trying to go to http://192.168.2.1. The
strange thing is I am able to go to the internet from that machine and
to the router by http://192.168.2.1 from OTHER machine. So it should
not be the problem of the router itself.

Any idea?

If the router is in bridge mode it can only be accessed by
name, not IP.

joker

That isn't the case. As long as your IP address is on the same network
as the MN-700 you can browse to it's IP address. If you do a "nslookup
router name" you will find that it does have an IP address. Thus you
can connect to the IP address.

lilo wrote:

> If the router is in bridge mode it can only be accessed by
> name, not IP.

joker

Well since both computers are behind the router I'd say it is one of
several things. (I'm assuming that both computers are behind the MN-700
because you only refer to "http://192.168.2.1" for the router.)

1) A software firewall on the computer that can't connect is miss
configured.

2) The computers TCP/IP stack has been damaged.

3) There is some sort of one or more of the following on the computer in
question virus, spyware, mal-ware, &/or adware .

Some things to try from the computer that is having the problem. Have
it ping the MN-700 by both IP address & the name you assigned it. If
you get replies from the IP address but it can't find the server then it
is a DNS problem. I highly doubt that is the case since you said you
went to the IP address of the router.

I'm now out of ideas for now. I hope this helps. One other thing that
would help is the version of Windows that is running on the computer
with the problem.

Tom wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have recently reinstall my machine and it's longer able to get into
> my MN700 router for administartion. I am getting "Gateway Timeout"
> error from that machine when trying to go to http://192.168.2.1. The
> strange thing is I am able to go to the internet from that machine and
> to the router by http://192.168.2.1 from OTHER machine. So it should
> not be the problem of the router itself.
>
> Any idea?

Where was my mind? The question was even different...

Mahalo (thanks)

Pradeep

Try turning off proxy on IE

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks guys, I found another post that has solved my problem although
I am not fully understood why.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=OnsJKNpGEHA.628%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

joker <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message news:<#jW748aeEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Well since both computers are behind the router I'd say it is one of
> several things. (I'm assuming that both computers are behind the MN-700
> because you only refer to "http://192.168.2.1" for the router.)
>
> 1) A software firewall on the computer that can't connect is miss
> configured.
>
> 2) The computers TCP/IP stack has been damaged.
>
> 3) There is some sort of one or more of the following on the computer in
> question virus, spyware, mal-ware, &/or adware .
>
> Some things to try from the computer that is having the problem. Have
> it ping the MN-700 by both IP address & the name you assigned it. If
> you get replies from the IP address but it can't find the server then it
> is a DNS problem. I highly doubt that is the case since you said you
> went to the IP address of the router.
>
> I'm now out of ideas for now. I hope this helps. One other thing that
> would help is the version of Windows that is running on the computer
> with the problem.
>
> Tom wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have recently reinstall my machine and it's longer able to get into
> > my MN700 router for administartion. I am getting "Gateway Timeout"
> > error from that machine when trying to go to http://192.168.2.1. The
> > strange thing is I am able to go to the internet from that machine and
> > to the router by http://192.168.2.1 from OTHER machine. So it should
> > not be the problem of the router itself.
> >
> > Any idea?

joker

Because IE was trying to connect to a proxy server which are only used
on corporate networks.