On Startup, xp beeps 4 times, goes into advanced options m..

I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
explain how to fix this?
Thanks.
Frank
6 answers Last reply
More about startup beeps times advanced options

    Unfortunately, every motherboard has it's own series of error beeps,
    although there are some common ones, patterned after the 2 most popular
    boards, Phoenix and American Megatrends. It should beep once if everything
    if fine.

    4 beeps is NOT good news. It means a bad timer, ie, the system timer failed
    to work. It usually means replacing the motherboard.

    Look first though, some of them have a (usually gray) reset switch. Hold it
    for 5 seconds, then try again.

    "frank1492" <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
    > explain how to fix this?
    > Thanks.
    > Frank

    frank1492 <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    |>I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
    |>explain how to fix this?

    Google: bios beep codes
    find the one for your bios and take it from there.

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:41:33 GMT, frank1492
    <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
    >explain how to fix this?

    Find out what Bios you are using and then goto
    http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

    Regards,
    Ed

    Hi Frank,

    Start here:

    BIOS Beep Codes
    Here's the beep definitions by BIOS: Standard Error Codes:
    http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

    Added Tips:

    BIOS Commands
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_b.htm#xp_bios

    For Bios Date and Version - Go to Start/Run/Regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "frank1492" <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
    > explain how to fix this?
    > Thanks.
    > Frank

    I do think something is about to go seriously wrong. For example<
    the caps/non caps are now reversed>
    This is a Dell Inspiron which has had its motherboard replaced
    once. No way to get at any switch, grey or otherwise.
    I think i am going to start making a backup of my hard drive.
    Is there anything else you would advise i do at this point?
    Thanks for your help>
    Frank

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:56:55 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
    wrote:

    >Unfortunately, every motherboard has it's own series of error beeps,
    >although there are some common ones, patterned after the 2 most popular
    >boards, Phoenix and American Megatrends. It should beep once if everything
    >if fine.
    >
    >4 beeps is NOT good news. It means a bad timer, ie, the system timer failed
    >to work. It usually means replacing the motherboard.
    >
    >Look first though, some of them have a (usually gray) reset switch. Hold it
    >for 5 seconds, then try again.
    >
    >"frank1492" <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >>I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
    >> explain how to fix this?
    >> Thanks.
    >> Frank

    Thanks to all for your help. Just as a precaution,
    I just did a backup of important files.
    I will look into the beep codes. I have not seen
    the problem again however and will report back when
    (if) I do.
    The most scary incident was when I got a DOS
    message that a file was missing and Windows could
    not be started. I escaped that page 3 times and
    Win started normally, don't know why. Haven't seen
    that again either.
    As noted earlier, the motherboard was recalled on
    this Inspiron and replaced free of charge about 2
    months after I bought it.
    Frank

Microsoft Windows XP