On Startup, xp beeps 4 times, goes into advanced options m..

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 10, 2005 1:41:33 AM

I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
explain how to fix this?
Thanks.
Frank

More about : startup beeps times advanced options

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:41:34 AM

Unfortunately, every motherboard has it's own series of error beeps,
although there are some common ones, patterned after the 2 most popular
boards, Phoenix and American Megatrends. It should beep once if everything
if fine.

4 beeps is NOT good news. It means a bad timer, ie, the system timer failed
to work. It usually means replacing the motherboard.

Look first though, some of them have a (usually gray) reset switch. Hold it
for 5 seconds, then try again.

"frank1492" <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
> explain how to fix this?
> Thanks.
> Frank
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:41:34 AM

frank1492 <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

|>I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
|>explain how to fix this?

Google: bios beep codes
find the one for your bios and take it from there.
August 10, 2005 1:41:34 AM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:41:33 GMT, frank1492
<frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
>explain how to fix this?

Find out what Bios you are using and then goto
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Regards,
Ed
August 10, 2005 2:20:47 AM

Hi Frank,

Start here:

BIOS Beep Codes
Here's the beep definitions by BIOS: Standard Error Codes:
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Added Tips:

BIOS Commands
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_b.htm#xp_bios

For Bios Date and Version - Go to Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"frank1492" <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
> explain how to fix this?
> Thanks.
> Frank
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:47:43 AM

I do think something is about to go seriously wrong. For example<
the caps/non caps are now reversed>
This is a Dell Inspiron which has had its motherboard replaced
once. No way to get at any switch, grey or otherwise.
I think i am going to start making a backup of my hard drive.
Is there anything else you would advise i do at this point?
Thanks for your help>
Frank

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:56:55 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
wrote:

>Unfortunately, every motherboard has it's own series of error beeps,
>although there are some common ones, patterned after the 2 most popular
>boards, Phoenix and American Megatrends. It should beep once if everything
>if fine.
>
>4 beeps is NOT good news. It means a bad timer, ie, the system timer failed
>to work. It usually means replacing the motherboard.
>
>Look first though, some of them have a (usually gray) reset switch. Hold it
>for 5 seconds, then try again.
>
>"frank1492" <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>I have apparently inadvertantly changed a setting. Could someone
>> explain how to fix this?
>> Thanks.
>> Frank

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:58:19 PM

Thanks to all for your help. Just as a precaution,
I just did a backup of important files.
I will look into the beep codes. I have not seen
the problem again however and will report back when
(if) I do.
The most scary incident was when I got a DOS
message that a file was missing and Windows could
not be started. I escaped that page 3 times and
Win started normally, don't know why. Haven't seen
that again either.
As noted earlier, the motherboard was recalled on
this Inspiron and replaced free of charge about 2
months after I bought it.
Frank
!