C Drive Partition Mystery

OS=Win XP-Pro, Computer = Dell Dimension 3000
My computer contained drives A, C, D, E, & F.
D & E are CD ROM drives, F was USB plug-in memory device. I now see I
have F & G as Local Disk (partitions) and H when I install the memory stick.
Where did the F &amd G partitions come from? I never created them, did Windows
do it somehow? There is 39 MB on F, 3.0 GB on G. Device Manager lists them as
Storage Volumes.
I would remove these partitions if I knew it was safe but I have no idea of
their origin or function.
2 answers Last reply
More about drive partition mystery

    Those are Dell diagnostic partitions.
    Leave them alone.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Those are Dell diagnostic partitions.
    > Leave them alone.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "xmod3" wrote:
    >
    > | OS=Win XP-Pro, Computer = Dell Dimension 3000
    > | My computer contained drives A, C, D, E, & F.
    > | D & E are CD ROM drives, F was USB plug-in memory device. I now see I
    > | have F & G as Local Disk (partitions) and H when I install the memory stick.
    > | Where did the F &amd G partitions come from? I never created them, did Windows
    > | do it somehow? There is 39 MB on F, 3.0 GB on G. Device Manager lists them as
    > | Storage Volumes.
    > | I would remove these partitions if I knew it was safe but I have no idea of
    > | their origin or function.
    > Thanks for the reply! It's interesting they were put there by "Dell" because I contacted Dell's Help Chat prior to this site. The Dell representitive had no idea what they were.

Windows XP