Sign in with
Your question

Plz hlp me trbleshoot AOL7 issue on friends pc...

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 23, 2002 3:01:09 PM

Guys,
I personally hate AOL.
I am a big fan of nomoreaolcds.com.

Now, with that said, here's my problem:
I just finished rebuilding my neighbour's computer, and installing Win98SE, Office and all the goodies.

The computer is just fine.

Quick specs: Celeron II 1.2GHz, ABIT Mobo (VH6T if I well remember), 256Mb Crucial CAS 2 Memory, 30-40Gb Maxtor HDD.

When I Add existing AOL account on that machine, it installs version 7 just fine, and then after it reboots and goes to find the access numbers, it crashes.

Basically, I input the area code of my city and then AOL 7 dials out to obtain the number list to choose from.

After the dial is complete, it shows a new screen that is supposed to have a list of numbers found, but instead of the list there's a small black square (graphic bug) and the machine freezes.

Please note that the modem drivers are correctly installed, and the SAME machine dials out JUST FINE with NetZero free internet.

I tried to install AOL 6, but that one just performs an illegal operation whenever I start it.

Useless was calling AOL tech support (bwahahahaha).

They adviced me to find and delete the file called global.org because it might have been corrupted and AOL software creates one every time it starts, but that didn't work either.

Any input guys?

The AOL account is for my neighbour's wife.
My friend, desperate, grabbed the CD and installed on his computer (which I built too), P3 800MHz, Intel 815 MB, 256Mb Ram etc... and it works flawlessy.

There must be a bug or conflict with some drivers with his wife's computer...

Please note that THERE ARE ABSOULTELY NO APPS RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND BESIDES SYSTRAY AND EXPLORER.

Yes, I already told my neighbout to get rid of that POS ISP, I hate it with all my energies, but I need to get it running for them, they are my good friends.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Walter

A television may insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in
like a computer.
August 23, 2002 3:37:14 PM

did you try re-installing 7 with a different CD?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
August 23, 2002 6:31:16 PM

Hello Jlanka.

Yes, I forgot to mention that.

I also tried with a brand new AOL 7 CD with the same result... :o (

Walter

like a computer.
Related resources
August 24, 2002 12:19:20 AM

At this point, you need to run down to Low's or Home Depo and get a roll of duck tape and a cane pole.

Bind your neighbors mouth/hands/feet with the duck tape, secure him to the trunk of a tree with the rest of the roll, and beat his @$$ with the cane pole until he agrees to chuck Aol.

BTW, I personally think this method is much less payneful than calling their micro-managed tech support or trying to troubleshoot (with a 10-gauge; double-ought/slug/double-ought/slug) the problem...

C@lling it like I c it...
August 24, 2002 4:48:44 AM

LMAO ejsmith2...
I feel you, and I hope you also understand where I am coming from. I *hate* AOL.

Wanna know the worst combination ever?
AOL + Compaq Presario.
That used to be my nightmare back in the days when I used to be a bench tech at CompUSA.

No, but seriously, does anybody have a serious advice?

I really need help, anything.

Regards,

Walter

like a computer.
August 24, 2002 11:45:55 AM

Sometimes the last resort is to format and reinstall the OS. You may not like AOL, but your better get your a$$ on the phone and call support.

Now did this computer already have AOL on it, that your friend was using, and then you went to add another AOL account? Before AOL dials out, it has to recognize your modem first, did it do this?

<font color=red>They adviced me to find and delete the file called global.org because it might have been corrupted and AOL software creates one every time it starts, but that didn't work either.</font color=red>

If you can't reinstall AOL, and it freezes, it sounds like something is corrupted. Have you tried uninstall AOL and reinstalling it, if you have two accounts, save the Favorites, and uninstall that one too. If AOL still doesn't install, there must be some files hanging around and you'll have to find them. You can try a different modem, try what AOL support says, try reinstalling the OS, if all that doesn't work, I would say a format would be in order.
Good luck.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?
August 24, 2002 1:03:23 PM

Hello Jiffy.

I just finished reinstalling a fresh copy of Win98 SE.

The PC's HDD now only contains Win, Office, all the drivers and AOL. This happened the first time AOL was ever installed on this configuration.

Yes, the modem has been succesfully recognized and accepted by AOl software. NetZero dials out with the same modem constantly.

Any other idea?

Walter

like a computer.
August 24, 2002 4:39:55 PM

Are you saying you just reinstalled win98, after you post this? Maybe NetZero is interfering. If it was me, if I couldn't figure it out I would format and reinstall the OS, then the drivers, then straight to AOL. If it still didn't work I would look at the hardware and the set up. I'm sorry I can't be much more help then that and I hope you get it figured out soon.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?
!