Let me break it down for y'all

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Alright. I've heard too many Mac vs. PC arguments not to voice my opinion. And here's the deal:

There is a humongous difference between Mac's and PC's. From the fundamentals of architecture to company attitudes, only their funcions are similar. One cannot compare a Mac and a PC without serious and detailed knowlege that I do not possess, and few people do.

Mac's are like fine tuned Honda cars when they come out of the factory. They run great right out of the box and everything is intuitive and low maintainance. Each component is designed by a single company and balanced out. They are not the fastest, but they are balanced and put together as a unit. They are designed to run in the cases they come in and nowhere else.

PC's are like minivan's with Ferarri engines and tricked out dubs. They run blazingly fast, but there is always a feeling that there is something amiss. The engine/processor is insane, but the body is not aerodynamic. There are bottlenecks that inhibit the system from reaching full potential. Each part is made by a different company, and users are constantly tweaking with the BIOS. The obsessive user loves the PC because there is always an opportunity for change and expandability. But the casual or inexperienced user may run circles around the computer and struggle with poor documentation and sometimes poor interface.

There are clear differences between the two, so quit saying which is faster and start saying which you PREFER. It is a matter of preference. I have a Mac and a PC and I love/hate them both. OSX pimps beyond belief, but I love to tweak with my PC and play games on it. DV editing is great because of iMovie and Final Cut, but there's no AGP 8X for gaming. I love a few stellar apps on the Mac, but there's tons of stuff that I can't use on my mac. It's A PREFERENCE!

<Brendini>

rain_king_uk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
What about the nice people at Dell, for example, whose job it is to bring the PC to the masses in a well balanced and intuitive package? I think they are doing a pretty good job - you'll have a more powerful and versatile machine for alot less money.

And actually I've found new users to the Mac find it non-intuitive and somewhat cryptic - WinXP on the PC tends to be much more straightforward these days.

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Well i get my "bits" in a streamline case lol and as for tweaking, the only thing i had to tweak when i upgraded was my bank balance :p. Had no probs at all in over a year with my 1700xp and geforce 3, got a 9700 pro now tho and gettin a 2700xp, lets see how this upgrade goes! btw u cant upgrade a mac can you ? :p

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I think that not being able to upgrade the Mac was the point he was trying to make. Some people just want to buy a computer "straight out of the box" and use it. I don't understand these people mind you but...to each his own. Macs seem to be a good choice for your typical user. I on the other hand recommend Dells to people that aren't hardware savvy and plan on using their computers for e-mail, surfin' the web and maybee playing Hoyle's card games. Let's face it not everyone is an enthousiast.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

alpha_03

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
LOL you must be a Mac user. If in fact Macs were the "state of the art" they would be the choice of most consumers. If you look back in history, Apple screwed themselves with a "no upgrade" policy. And to me this equates to a greedy manufacturer. After all even Honda cars can be upgraded. The PC has so many advantages over Macs (comon sence dictates I need not list them) that unless a mac is your choice by necessity a PC is the obvious choice. I mean no offence to you or your opnion, it just seems a bit uninformed. Yes, it is true the mainstream isn't always correct, but, in light of the choices Apple made, why would anyone want to purchase a Mac, unless necessity required one to do so. PC's are, in fact, very stabil and in most cases much faster in all areas and much more cost effective to the average user. And that my friend is the REAL lowdown.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I've never been a big Apple fan, because I like to tinker, and to me, the flexibility of a PC is perfect. I like being able to pick-and-choose each individual component--all the way down to the thermal grease for the CPU--for my computer. One can have a PC that is totally unique in PC-land. On the other hand, if my mother--who is 72 years old and about as tech-savvy as a hamster--wanted a computer to keep a family photo album and write letters and maybe watch "Sleepless in Seattle" for the 723rd time on DVD, I would....BUILD HER A PC FOR THAT PURPOSE. Ha! Bet you thought I was going to say I would recommend a Mac...

I will say one thing: I saw a Mac Cinematic Display (LCD Monitor) at Comp USA the other day, and I can honestly say I have NEVER seen a PC that even comes CLOSE to that level of 2D quality graphics. Now, the display has a lot to do with it, I'm sure, and it probably wouldn't be worth a nickel for playing games, but it shore is purdy on the display shelf. If you haven't seen one, check it out. It lets you see how far Windows and PC graphics cards can still improve on 2D.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
dells still suck because of windoze =(
the mac OS is much more user friendly (to whoever said that their friend had trouble on a mac OS, it must have been because he/she was used to windows)
the mac OS hides all of the dirty stuff about how an operating system really works
when i switched from mac to PC (about 6 years ago) it was confusing having file extensions and paths everywhere, having a "C" drive (instead of a nice little "My Hard Drive" or something like that), and basically just the less "warm" look of the windows OS.
i was pretty savvy with macs, and now i am that way with PCs, but there's no doubt that the Mac OS hides everything from the user, which makes things easy for people who don't want to mess with anything
the one button mouse is nice, too. my mother is scared to death of the right mouse button, she clings to the left like crazy. "it brings up too many options"
now, i like having two buttons on my mouse, and i like being able to tweak windows like mad, and upgrade my computer, hence macs are NOT for me
they are still good for any average user, though

--------------
I LOVE DANGER DEN WATERCOOLING, they went out of their way to both personalize my kit and change my order when i needed to, i had to change my sig to give them props

eden

Champion
Oh I definitly agree on the MAC LCDs. That and OSX are just about the only things I like about them. I tried a 20" LCD, which next year in college, I will be be using them. They are simply advanced. I feel like LCDs for PCs have a long way to go. Those Mac LCDs are extremly variable-angle viewable, and the screen sharpness if definitly the kind that would make me switch to LCDs from CRTs. Even nicer is the small touch sensitive power button. When it's off, it sleeps lol, the light dims on and off, as if it's breathing with a night breathing rate.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: