HP 4000 problem - advice?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

I have a HP LaserJet 4000N connected to a Mac G4 which acts as a server to
laptops; the HP has worked flawlessly for ages.

However, it's now sometimes leaving holes down the centre of one sheet in a
run - it looks as though the traction widget is for some reason gripping
much too hard.

It's a domestic setup, and I really don't want to call out an expensive HP
engineer if this is something I can fix myself...

Could any HP guru advise me, please?

Help MUCH appreciated!

- duncan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.mac.printing (More info?)

On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:08:57 +0100, Duncan Langford wrote:

>I have a HP LaserJet 4000N connected to a Mac G4 which acts as a server to
>laptops; the HP has worked flawlessly for ages.
>
>However, it's now sometimes leaving holes down the centre of one sheet in a
>run - it looks as though the traction widget is for some reason gripping
>much too hard.
>
>It's a domestic setup, and I really don't want to call out an expensive HP
>engineer if this is something I can fix myself...
>
>Could any HP guru advise me, please?
>
>Help MUCH appreciated!
>
>- duncan

Do the holes form a strip down the page, or are they offset be a constant
interval.

If the holes are evenly spaced, measure what the gap is, and post it here.
That
will help us determine what might be the cause of the problem.

Aidan Grey

On Sat, 28 May 2005 15:50:50 +0100, Duncan Langford wrote:

>On 2005-05-28 00:39:29 +0100, "Aidan Grey" <apgrey@nospam.con> said:
>
>> On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:08:57 +0100, Duncan Langford wrote:
>>
>>> I have a HP LaserJet 4000N ....
>>>
>>> However, it's now sometimes leaving holes down the centre of one sheet in a
>>> run - it looks as though the traction widget is for some reason gripping
>>> much too hard.
>>>
>>> It's a domestic setup, and I really don't want to call out an expensive HP
>>> engineer if this is something I can fix myself...
>>>
>>> Could any HP guru advise me, please?
>
>> Do the holes form a strip down the page, or are they offset be a
>> constant interval.
>>
>> If the holes are evenly spaced, measure what the gap is, and post it
>> here. That
>> will help us determine what might be the cause of the problem.
>
>Thanks, Aidan -
>
>The holes - which are arrowhead shaped, pointing upwards - are 3"
>apart, and do form a strip down the page, connected by a groove in the
>paper.
>
>In a recent 41-page job, only page 17 had the holes, this time to the
>left edge of the paper; in previous examples the holes have been much
>more towards the middle...
>
>The most baffling aspect is that the problem is intermittent - so far,
>we've always been able to reprint a damaged page without problems; but
>it seems that every print job has at least one (and usually ONLY one!)
>damaged page.
>
>The tray is not overfull, incidentally; I wondered if that might be a
>cause, but it's almost exactly half full, so I guess it isn't.
>
>- duncan
>
>(with crossed fingers!)

The groove in the paper suggests that it is the fusing assembly that is
causing
the problem.

I tried to find a copy of the service manual online to confirm this. The
service
manual has a page listing the circumference of all rollers in the paper path.
was not able to find this manual. However, 3 inches is the circumference of
the
fusing assembly in related HP Laserjet models.

The HP Web site at http://partsurfer.hp.com lists C4118-69011 or
RG5-2661-490CN
as the replacement fusors for the 4000. You might get a similar part from
various
other suppliers.

The fusor on the HP 4000 is not especially difficult to replace, but it is
not obvious
how to do it the first time. You might try taking out your present fusor to
inspect it
before ordering a new one. It is located at the back of the printer, and is
the pair
of rollers that heat and squash the toner into the paper. Be sure to power
off the
printer, and let it cool for 5 or 10 minutes before trying to remove the
fusor. It runs
very hot while the printer is in use. I believe a Philips #2 screwdriver is
used to
loosen two captive screws on that model.

It is very odd that this problem occurs so infrequently, only one page per
print
job. It is also odd that it is an arrow shape, it would be more likely to
appear as an
irregular blob.

If an inspection of the fusor shows no flaw, you might be better off
getting a service
call. The fusor seems the most likely cause, but it is easy for me to be
wrong when
I cannot inspect the printer.

Aidan Grey