Files and settings transfer wizard

All,

I am at my wits end. I am trying to transfer my files and settings with the
wizard and after the wizard collects everything on the old machine, I
attempt to run it on the new machine and I get an error message:

"The location you specified does not contain the stored information..."

Both machines have XP Pro with SP2 and all updates.

I've Googled the h*ll out of this problem and all I can find on it is that
the files generated by the wizard are corrupt and try the FASTconv utility
that some sites allow you to download and use. I've tried that and I get an
error message in the command environment that says the source directory is
invalid. Well, it's right there in C:\USMT2.UNC, and if I open it I can see
the .DAT files in it. I've tried moving the source of the files from here to
there, letting the wizard collect them on the old machine, on the new
machine, everywhere in between, moving them to a CD then to the new machine,
nothing works.

My last ditch hope is that someone out there will have had the same problem
and may have a last suggestion that will work, before I start moving my 15
GB of stuff manually. AArrrgh!!

Please help, and Thanx!

Rip

kelly

Hi,

See if Gary's write-up helps and good luck!
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"RipperT @comcast.net>" <rippert<nospam> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I am at my wits end. I am trying to transfer my files and settings with
> the wizard and after the wizard collects everything on the old machine, I
> attempt to run it on the new machine and I get an error message:
>
> "The location you specified does not contain the stored information..."
>
> Both machines have XP Pro with SP2 and all updates.
>
> I've Googled the h*ll out of this problem and all I can find on it is that
> the files generated by the wizard are corrupt and try the FASTconv utility
> that some sites allow you to download and use. I've tried that and I get
> an error message in the command environment that says the source directory
> is invalid. Well, it's right there in C:\USMT2.UNC, and if I open it I can
> see the .DAT files in it. I've tried moving the source of the files from
> here to there, letting the wizard collect them on the old machine, on the
> new machine, everywhere in between, moving them to a CD then to the new
> machine, nothing works.
>
> My last ditch hope is that someone out there will have had the same
> problem and may have a last suggestion that will work, before I start
> moving my 15 GB of stuff manually. AArrrgh!!
>
> Please help, and Thanx!
>
> Rip

The source directory is one folder above usmt2.unc. Therefore it would be
C:\. Try that.

> Hi,
>
> See if Gary's write-up helps and good luck!
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "RipperT @comcast.net>" <rippert<nospam> wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> I am at my wits end. I am trying to transfer my files and settings with
>> the wizard and after the wizard collects everything on the old machine, I
>> attempt to run it on the new machine and I get an error message:
>>
>> "The location you specified does not contain the stored information..."
>>
>> Both machines have XP Pro with SP2 and all updates.
>>
>> I've Googled the h*ll out of this problem and all I can find on it is
>> that the files generated by the wizard are corrupt and try the FASTconv
>> utility that some sites allow you to download and use. I've tried that
>> and I get an error message in the command environment that says the
>> source directory is invalid. Well, it's right there in C:\USMT2.UNC, and
>> if I open it I can see the .DAT files in it. I've tried moving the source
>> of the files from here to there, letting the wizard collect them on the
>> old machine, on the new machine, everywhere in between, moving them to a
>> CD then to the new machine, nothing works.
>>
>> My last ditch hope is that someone out there will have had the same
>> problem and may have a last suggestion that will work, before I start
>> moving my 15 GB of stuff manually. AArrrgh!!
>>
>> Please help, and Thanx!
>>
>> Rip

Success! I used the FAST wizard off of the XP CD instead of the one within
the OS and it worked like a dream!

Rip

--
Ripper T Smith
rippertsmith<nospam>@comcast.net
"RipperT @comcast.net>" <rippert<nospam> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I am at my wits end. I am trying to transfer my files and settings with
> the wizard and after the wizard collects everything on the old machine, I
> attempt to run it on the new machine and I get an error message:
>
> "The location you specified does not contain the stored information..."
>
> Both machines have XP Pro with SP2 and all updates.
>
> I've Googled the h*ll out of this problem and all I can find on it is that
> the files generated by the wizard are corrupt and try the FASTconv utility
> that some sites allow you to download and use. I've tried that and I get
> an error message in the command environment that says the source directory
> is invalid. Well, it's right there in C:\USMT2.UNC, and if I open it I can
> see the .DAT files in it. I've tried moving the source of the files from
> here to there, letting the wizard collect them on the old machine, on the
> new machine, everywhere in between, moving them to a CD then to the new
> machine, nothing works.
>
> My last ditch hope is that someone out there will have had the same
> problem and may have a last suggestion that will work, before I start
> moving my 15 GB of stuff manually. AArrrgh!!
>
> Please help, and Thanx!
>
> Rip

kelly

Great, glad to hear all is well. :eek:)