HP dv2020ca blanc screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince_28

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I turn on the computer and the blue indicator lights come on but the screen remains blank. This was an intermittent problem but now permanent. Any suggestions on whats wrong and how to replace the defective parts?

G

Does it emit any sounds that suggest that it is booting into Windows normally ?

Have you tried connecting an external monitor ?

Vince_28

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Tried an external monitor to no avail. No hard drive activity by indicator light. Tech guy said it was probably a mother board problem so now I must decide whether to disassemble it or sell for parts without the hard drive because of info on it.

Vince_28

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Does it emit any sounds that suggest that it is booting into Windows normally ?

Have you tried connecting an external monitor ?

Do you agree not worth fixing? I don't know how to trouble shoot defective components. I don't want personal info out so will need to rob hard drive.

G

It's not easy for the average person to recover your data from a wiped drive.

Identify the drive brand in your computer and you'll probably find that the drive maker's site has a free utility which writes zeros across the drive.

That way you'll get more cash for the laptop than if the drive is removed.

Vince_28

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I looked at the drive and saw bad written on it. The computer had been in for warranty but worked for about a year after. Is it possible that a bad drive can cause a blank screen?

G

If the disk doesn't work, you should at least get a startup screen telling you that. So I think you have to assume a wider fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.