BSD long beam opto !!!!weird!!!!

The long opto beam on my bsd does not work.

I already tried the following;

- replaced receiver and emittor, connections are correct also on the
board below the playfield
- tried allignment

Now the weird part: when I use my remote from my tv the switch
registers in the test mode so the receiver is working. Led is working
too (tested with digital camera). when I block the beam with a ball or
my hand nothing happens...

What the hell can this be?

martin

Also, do you have the right wavelength transmitter? Us the digicam to
see if you can see where the light from the emitter falls. If it is on
the receiver, then you need a new emitter. If it is not, then you have
an alignment problem.

Not focused at each other, other light interfering with it. LTG :)

"Arcadia" <hydropeter@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The long opto beam on my bsd does not work.
>
> I already tried the following;
>
> - replaced receiver and emittor, connections are correct also on the
> board below the playfield
> - tried allignment
>
> Now the weird part: when I use my remote from my tv the switch
> registers in the test mode so the receiver is working. Led is working
> too (tested with digital camera). when I block the beam with a ball or
> my hand nothing happens...
>
> What the hell can this be?

It could also be one channel out on the opto board. You could jumper
that optos signal to another channel on the board and see what happens.

Robert

martin wrote:
> Also, do you have the right wavelength transmitter? Us the digicam to
> see if you can see where the light from the emitter falls. If it is on
> the receiver, then you need a new emitter. If it is not, then you have
> an alignment problem.

martin

all good suggestions, but check out that transmitter first. Sounds like
the receiver is fine if it responds to the remote control.

check the choke on the opto board it is either green or black with windings
on it. One leg is probably out of the board or broke at the base of it. Or
cold solder joints on that opto board, or a loose wire in the molex that
plugs in the opto boards.

Trin
"MrSanRamon" <mrsanramon@comcast.net> wrote in message
> It could also be one channel out on the opto board. You could jumper
> that optos signal to another channel on the board and see what happens.
>
> Robert
>
> martin wrote:
>> Also, do you have the right wavelength transmitter? Us the digicam to
>> see if you can see where the light from the emitter falls. If it is on
>> the receiver, then you need a new emitter. If it is not, then you have
>> an alignment problem.

The transmitter led is brand new so I don' t think that's the problem.

I' ll go try all of the suggestions.

martin

Your remote control emits infrared light with a wavelength of 940nm.
Clearly, your receiver operates at that wavelength. If your transmitter
LED is, say, 850nm, your optos could well not work.

Making sense? If you have original Williams part numbers in the
machine, then you likely have a different problem but if you have
substitted something then this could be the issue. The Radio Shack IR
LED is 940nm. You could try one of those in the optoemitter side.

I think I found it.

The "choke thingy" is missing from the opto board below the playfield.
Board location L1.

I assume that this part is needed for the opto to work?

martin

Might work without it, but short distances only - could explain why it
works with your remote - presumably you are holding it close?

You really want L1 for the circuit to work right.

you need the choke.