Windows Installer Opens When trying to copy, move, etc.

bettysue

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2005

This is making me nuts and recently started to happen. It happened before,
but a restore fixed it - not this time.

Whenever I try to right click on something to open, copy or move, the
Windows Installer opens and starts to try to install a program which is
already installed. I have tried re-installing the program, yet it didn't
help. Actually it alternates between 2 programs that are already installed.

Any idea how to get rid of this menace?

Thank You,

Betty

How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"bettysue" wrote:

| This is making me nuts and recently started to happen. It happened before,
| but a restore fixed it - not this time.
|
| Whenever I try to right click on something to open, copy or move, the
| Windows Installer opens and starts to try to install a program which is
| already installed. I have tried re-installing the program, yet it didn't
| help. Actually it alternates between 2 programs that are already installed.
|
| Any idea how to get rid of this menace?
|
| Thank You,
|
| Betty

bettysue

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2005

Hi Carey,

I tried all the sources and remedies you gave the urls to, however none of
them helped my problem :(

The Installer and cleanup Utility that 2 of the links lead me to were for:
msicuu2.exe which only works for Office. I even downloaded the Supplemental
tools for SP2 which has msicuu.exe in it that works for programs, and the
programs trying to install weren't on the list. I ran the scripts, did the
run commands, tried the reg fix, all to no avail.

Finally for now, just to get rid of the frustration until I can find the
"cure", I disabled Windows Installer in Services. That got rid of it for
now, but I know I still need to find the real fix so I can turn the installer
back on.

Thank You for the info though.