Windows Installer Opens When trying to copy, move, etc.

This is making me nuts and recently started to happen. It happened before,
but a restore fixed it - not this time.

Whenever I try to right click on something to open, copy or move, the
Windows Installer opens and starts to try to install a program which is
already installed. I have tried re-installing the program, yet it didn't
help. Actually it alternates between 2 programs that are already installed.

Any idea how to get rid of this menace?

Thank You,

Betty
2 answers Last reply
More about windows installer opens copy move

    How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp

    Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
    Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "bettysue" wrote:

    | This is making me nuts and recently started to happen. It happened before,
    | but a restore fixed it - not this time.
    |
    | Whenever I try to right click on something to open, copy or move, the
    | Windows Installer opens and starts to try to install a program which is
    | already installed. I have tried re-installing the program, yet it didn't
    | help. Actually it alternates between 2 programs that are already installed.
    |
    | Any idea how to get rid of this menace?
    |
    | Thank You,
    |
    | Betty

    Hi Carey,

    I tried all the sources and remedies you gave the urls to, however none of
    them helped my problem :(

    The Installer and cleanup Utility that 2 of the links lead me to were for:
    msicuu2.exe which only works for Office. I even downloaded the Supplemental
    tools for SP2 which has msicuu.exe in it that works for programs, and the
    programs trying to install weren't on the list. I ran the scripts, did the
    run commands, tried the reg fix, all to no avail.

    Finally for now, just to get rid of the frustration until I can find the
    "cure", I disabled Windows Installer in Services. That got rid of it for
    now, but I know I still need to find the real fix so I can turn the installer
    back on.

    Thank You for the info though.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp
    >
    > Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    >
    > Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to