optimal screen resolution for 17" lcd screen

August 9, 2005 9:47:15 PM

I just bought a gateway media center computer 835gm with fpd1760
monitor 17". It came at 1024x768 setting for moniter. What are pros
and cons of changing resolution to higher one? Max available is
1280x1024. I know one downside of increasing resolution is I'll need
to change sizes of fonts and icons etc. Will higher setting slow down
the computer. Do you think higher setting will be preferable since I
do a lot of digital photograpy work? I'm curious what others do.
Larrylook
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:19:31 AM

Larry

Use it at a setting with which you feel comfortable..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"larrylook" <lmpmd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a gateway media center computer 835gm with fpd1760
> monitor 17". It came at 1024x768 setting for moniter. What are pros
> and cons of changing resolution to higher one? Max available is
> 1280x1024. I know one downside of increasing resolution is I'll need
> to change sizes of fonts and icons etc. Will higher setting slow down
> the computer. Do you think higher setting will be preferable since I
> do a lot of digital photograpy work? I'm curious what others do.
> Larrylook

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:24:56 AM

Unless your eyesight is poor, I think you'll find the
default icon and font sizes acceptable at 1280x1024.

If you do a lot of digital photography work, you
should definitely use the highest resolution.

The only possible downside is that you might have
to decrease your refresh rate if you choose a higher
resolution. It depends on your hardware.

Bottom line -- just experiment and see what you
like the best.

--
-Bob
_______________________________

"larrylook" <lmpmd@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1123634835.731320.284800@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>I just bought a gateway media center computer 835gm with fpd1760
> monitor 17". It came at 1024x768 setting for moniter. What are pros
> and cons of changing resolution to higher one? Max available is
> 1280x1024. I know one downside of increasing resolution is I'll need
> to change sizes of fonts and icons etc. Will higher setting slow down
> the computer. Do you think higher setting will be preferable since I
> do a lot of digital photograpy work? I'm curious what others do.
> Larrylook

August 10, 2005 1:24:57 AM

I disagree. Each LCD device has a native setting for which the video
drivers et al. do no interpolation relative to screen resolution. Find out
what the native setting for the screen is, it is likely, for 17", 1024 x 768
as Dell set it.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:05:21 AM

In article <11fire2ct7qmj44@corp.supernews.com>, logos1@trip.net says...
> I disagree. Each LCD device has a native setting for which the video
> drivers et al. do no interpolation relative to screen resolution. Find out
> what the native setting for the screen is, it is likely, for 17", 1024 x 768
> as Dell set it.

The native resolution would equate to the physical max resolution
without splitting pixels - my 17" wide screen laptop is native at
1440x900, and it looks best at that resolution.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

I agree. I should have been clearer. My 19" is 1280 x 1024 native.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:31:53 AM

This site:
http://tinyurl.com/77avr
indicates native resolution is 1280x1024 (which is the highest you can set
it at). So I guess I'll try that for now. It came to me set at a lower
resolution. Thanks all, for the opinions.

!