Windows 7 Professional Install with Intel Smart Response

UNRWolfPack

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Hello, I am trying to do a clean install of Win 7 Pro on a new Dell XPS. My laptop came with a 32gb mSATA drive and I want to keep the Intel Smart Reponse activated. Whenever I try to do a clean install with the SATA operation set to "Intel Smart Reponse" in the BIOS, it does not find any disks to install the software too. When I try to load a driver for the drivers, it says no signed drivers were found. I was able to install the Win 7 Pro with the sata operation set to AHCI, but that won't let me enable smart response. Anyone know where I am going wrong in my install process? Thanks.

UNRWolfPack

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
They unkindly told me it would $130 for a one time software issue technical support session or $230 for a year of software support. I kindly told them no. I was hoping there would be someone here who would have the insight I need to fix it. I'm sure I am missing something simple, but since I do not have much experience with these type of issues I am missing what it is.

1. Enable raid in the bios.
2. Install Windows to the HDD
3. Install the latest Intel drivers and Rapid Storage Technology

From the Rapid Storage Technology program, you can enable or disable SRT(Smart Response Technology)

While this is for a desktop board the steps are the same(and it has pics of the software in windows).
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_smart-response_e.pdf

I used to use SRT(until SSD prices started to fall) so I know it is nothing to get it going.

UNRWolfPack

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
My options are ATA, AHCI, and Smart Response. From looking around on other forums trying to figure this out, the Smart Response option is the RAID configuration on my system.

UNRWolfPack

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I've tried to do the clean install with Smart Response (RAID) selected in the BIOS and it doesn't recognize any drivers to install the OS to. It tells me to load the drivers, but when I load the drivers that are listed on Dell's website for my machine, it tells me that no signed drivers were found on my usb drive.

UNRWolfPack

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

There is no access to the the internal components on my machine unfortunately unless I take the entire bottom cover off.

UNRWolfPack

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I just talked about my issue with my friend in class and he says it has to do with Windows not having any RAID drivers. When I get back home, I am going to try the clean installation again and put the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver on my usb drive when it asks for a driver when I get to the point where it does not find any drives to install Windows to. I will give an update if this works or not. I appreciate everyone's help.

On the "F6" driver. If you select Custom install, On the page that asks for where to instal OS to on the lower left side you will see a check box for additional drivers, Tic it and it will prompt you for the driver at the right time.

And yes, for some of the chipsets and using raid windows 7 does not have the raid driver. Had that problem on one of my desktops.

UNRWolfPack

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Success. It was something small I was missing. The driver page Nuke sent me to contained the correct driver. The thing I missed was I was trying to use the .exe download on that page instead of the zip file. This time I used the RAID driver contained in that zipped folder and it loaded just fine during installation and I was able to install the Intel Rapid Storage software afterwards. Everything is working fine and I am happily using a machine with a zippy cache drive.

Now I know a thing or two about doing clean installs of Windows with RAID. Thanks everybody.

Glad you got it solved.

I will be keeping a copy of the drivers just in case as well. So far I have not needed any, but you and RetiredChief have both run into Windows not having drivers.

So I am sure its just a matter of time until I have to deal with it(someone will come to me with that issue :) ).

alouch

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
hi i having the same issue with a dell inspiron 14z 5423.....when i try to do a clean OS install it wont show the HDD....what should i do exactly to load the driver. thx

alouch

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

hi im having the same problem that you got.....could you tell what drivers should i load while installing windows in SRT mode

You should just have to extract the F6 drivers to a flash drive and use the file called.

You only have 2 INF files to use, I think for you it will be iaStorAC.inf, but ALL the other files have to be on the flash drive as well.

You will NOT be in SRT until you install the software(Intel RST) in Windows then enable it.

alouch

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
when i try to install Intel rapid start technology it popup an error :

the computer does bot meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

so what is the requirements ?