Bible program, linking or popup

October 20, 2004 8:07:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I am disappointed that no Bible program for the Palm allows you to
link to a specific reference from another program. Yes some reading
programs link to Bible programs, but only from within themselves. I
am to write John3:16 (or any other form of the same with any tags
needed) on memopad, tap on it, and have it jump directly to the Bible
reference. Is this so hard? Certain type of programs have been doing
this for a long time now, just not Bible programs

Missing the above, is there any Bible program with a popup mode, like
many dictionary programs currently do? That would be a welcomed
compromise.

TIA

Pavy
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 1:32:17 AM

pavy wrote:
> I am disappointed that no Bible program for the Palm allows you to
> link to a specific reference from another program. Yes some reading
> programs link to Bible programs, but only from within themselves. I
> am to write John3:16 (or any other form of the same with any tags
> needed) on memopad, tap on it, and have it jump directly to the Bible
> reference. Is this so hard? Certain type of programs have been doing
> this for a long time now, just not Bible programs
>
> Missing the above, is there any Bible program with a popup mode, like
> many dictionary programs currently do? That would be a welcomed
> compromise.

You could probably accomplish something similar by using MegaWiki along
with any Bible program that allows editing of the text.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/megawiki.shtml
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 2:03:46 PM

Dekaritae <maur@mdi.ca> wrote in message news:<vUGdd.98$mf7.82@fe39.usenetserver.com>...
> pavy wrote:
> > I am disappointed that no Bible program for the Palm allows you to
> > link to a specific reference from another program. Yes some reading
> > programs link to Bible programs, but only from within themselves. I
> > am to write John3:16 (or any other form of the same with any tags
> > needed) on memopad, tap on it, and have it jump directly to the Bible
> > reference. Is this so hard? Certain type of programs have been doing
> > this for a long time now, just not Bible programs
>
> You could probably accomplish something similar by using MegaWiki along
> with any Bible program that allows editing of the text.

Do you know of such a program? I try to keep up with all the Bible
programs which come out for the Palm. Unless you mean a large DOC
format Bible datbase used with an editor. That would be way too slow.
Related resources
October 21, 2004 7:34:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hello-

Glad to see someone is making true use of a Palm <grin.>

I'm a preacher in Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm currently trying to get a unt to
use as a preaching aid (Bible Study, Sermon recorder....)

I used to use a simple Clie 615 with Biblethumper and BibleReader

I moved to PPC to use E-Sword....but E-sword is terrible !

so, moving back to Palm..

"pavy" <pavymk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am disappointed that no Bible program for the Palm allows you to
> link to a specific reference from another program. Yes some reading
> programs link to Bible programs, but only from within themselves. I
> am to write John3:16 (or any other form of the same with any tags
> needed) on memopad, tap on it, and have it jump directly to the Bible
> reference. Is this so hard? Certain type of programs have been doing
> this for a long time now, just not Bible programs
>
> Missing the above, is there any Bible program with a popup mode, like
> many dictionary programs currently do? That would be a welcomed
> compromise.
>
> TIA
>
> Pavy
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 1:22:37 AM

pavy wrote:
> I am disappointed that no Bible program for the Palm allows you to
> link to a specific reference from another program. Yes some reading
> programs link to Bible programs, but only from within themselves. I
> am to write John3:16 (or any other form of the same with any tags
> needed) on memopad, tap on it, and have it jump directly to the Bible
> reference. Is this so hard?

Actually, yes, it's a big pain in the butt. It's not impossible,
but Palm has made it far from easy. (In particular, it really helps
to have designed your application to support that from the very
beginning; if you haven't, you will experience pain...)

- Logan
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 1:22:38 AM

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:<xMVdd.34490$rY1.14085@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> pavy wrote:
> > I am disappointed that no Bible program for the Palm allows you to
> > link to a specific reference from another program. Yes some reading
> > programs link to Bible programs, but only from within themselves. I
> > am to write John3:16 (or any other form of the same with any tags
> > needed) on memopad, tap on it, and have it jump directly to the Bible
> > reference. Is this so hard?
>
> Actually, yes, it's a big pain in the butt. It's not impossible,
> but Palm has made it far from easy. (In particular, it really helps
> to have designed your application to support that from the very
> beginning; if you haven't, you will experience pain...)

That's why I am suggesting a bridge program. Palm Bible+ and
BibleReader+ both allow external reader programs to call them for
specific references, when using the proper coding, which I understand
is freely available from them, it's just a question of creating a
linker program for those Bible programs which have already been
designed to be called from another program.

Pavy
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 8:00:54 AM

In alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot James <jimmyb@nospamchebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
> I'm a preacher in Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm currently trying to get a unt to
> use as a preaching aid (Bible Study, Sermon recorder....)

Our former pastor preached using outlines. I used a combination of
Handyshopper and Tree 0.7 DA (Desk Accessory). For each preacher (Pastor
or guest speaker) I would create a store with the person's name. The
items in the store were the sermon Titles. The item note is where I put
the sermon notes. What Tree 0l7 does allow me to create outlines in a
memo or note field. So, I would open a note and the invoke Tree 0.7 by
using a DA launcher (Swipe!) and bring up the outliner.

This worked great on my IIIx and HandEra 330. It seems that Tree 0.7 does
not work with PalmOS 5 on my T3. :(

Our current Pastor, who is very good, does not preach in online form so it
is much harder to take notes.

God bless,
Steven
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 8:10:12 AM

In comp.sys.palmtops.pilot pavy <pavymk@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am disappointed that no Bible program for the Palm allows you to
> link to a specific reference from another program. Yes some reading
> programs link to Bible programs, but only from within themselves. I
> am to write John3:16 (or any other form of the same with any tags
> needed) on memopad, tap on it, and have it jump directly to the Bible
> reference. Is this so hard? Certain type of programs have been doing
> this for a long time now, just not Bible programs
>
> Missing the above, is there any Bible program with a popup mode, like
> many dictionary programs currently do? That would be a welcomed
> compromise.

The only to Bible programs that I know that work together are Laridian's
MyBible and Memorize. One can launch MyBible from within Memorize almost
in the manner you seek. But, it is not what you are looking for (ie:
launch from MemoPad). So, MyBible does have the mechanism to be lauched
and be opened to a spefied book, chapter, and verse. If one know how to
call MyBible the correct way, then a hack or DA can be created.

I hope this helps,
Steven
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 5:32:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On 22 Oct 2004 04:10:12 GMT, Steven Whatley
<swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> was understood to have stated the
following:

>The only to Bible programs that I know that work together are Laridian's
>MyBible and Memorize. One can launch MyBible from within Memorize almost
>in the manner you seek. But, it is not what you are looking for (ie:
>launch from MemoPad). So, MyBible does have the mechanism to be lauched
>and be opened to a spefied book, chapter, and verse. If one know how to
>call MyBible the correct way, then a hack or DA can be created.

It should be a relatively easy "hack", although not in the "Palm"
sense of the word. An app could read the reference from the clipboard,
then update the current position in preferences for MyBible (or
whatever), and then invoke the Bible reading app itself.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 12:13:06 AM

David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
> It should be a relatively easy "hack", although not in the "Palm"
> sense of the word. An app could read the reference from the clipboard,
> then update the current position in preferences for MyBible (or
> whatever), and then invoke the Bible reading app itself.

Yes, but triggering that hack is a little tough. Traditionally,
you could use HackMaster style stuff, but not so much in OS 5,
and probably not at all in upcoming OS 6. There are still ways,
one of which is to register for a notification for the command bar.
That its own problems, both technical and also the fact that many
people don't know what the command bar is or that it exists. :-)

Once you have gotten to this point, though, do you want to launch
the other app and then return to the memopad or whatever afterwards?
If so, that's a pain. Actually, you're probably not even supposed
to do it, officially. If you don't want to return to the memopad,
then it's not as big a deal, but it's also not as useful.

- Logan
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 8:04:27 PM

Steven Whatley <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<41788824$0$449$a726171b@news.hal-pc.org>...

> The only to Bible programs that I know that work together are Laridian's
> MyBible and Memorize.

I forgot about that one, that would then be the *third* program I know
which can do that (together with PalmBible+ and BibleReader Plus)

> One can launch MyBible from within Memorize almost
> in the manner you seek.

Same as the other two.

> But, it is not what you are looking for (ie:
> launch from MemoPad). So, MyBible does have the mechanism to be lauched
> and be opened to a spefied book, chapter, and verse. If one know how to
> call MyBible the correct way, then a hack or DA can be created.

PsWiki (OS5) and MegaWiki (pre OS5) can both call third party programs
via Global Find and Database Name, using a tagged text from memopad.
It is just a matter of the program being able to be called.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Pavy
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 8:13:47 PM

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:<mRded.267$p87.179@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
> > It should be a relatively easy "hack", although not in the "Palm"
> > sense of the word. An app could read the reference from the clipboard,
> > then update the current position in preferences for MyBible (or
> > whatever), and then invoke the Bible reading app itself.
>
> Yes, but triggering that hack is a little tough. Traditionally,
> you could use HackMaster style stuff, but not so much in OS 5,

PSLink can link to third party programs on OS5. I use it all the
time.

> and probably not at all in upcoming OS 6.

It has been suggested that the renaming of OS5 and OS6 means they will
be maintained simultaneously, rather than OS6 substituting OS5, since
OS6 seems like it will leave behind *many* programs, seems designed
for a different purpose.

> There are still ways,
> one of which is to register for a notification for the command bar.
> That its own problems, both technical and also the fact that many
> people don't know what the command bar is or that it exists. :-)

You seem a bit pessimistic. Have you tried MegaWiki, PsLink or any of
the other Wikis or linkers?

> Once you have gotten to this point, though, do you want to launch
> the other app and then return to the memopad or whatever afterwards?
> If so, that's a pain. Actually, you're probably not even supposed
> to do it, officially. If you don't want to return to the memopad,
> then it's not as big a deal, but it's also not as useful.

These issues have already been addressed with MegaWiki and PsLink. In
particular with the latter, I simply use Switch5. Works a treat.
With MegaWiki I used a vertical stroke, which doesn't seem to work
with OS5.

Pavy
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 8:15:49 PM

"David W. Poole, Jr." <KillroyWasHere.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message news:<jugin0tdd49bjsigik5umn3jehumcp7n85@4ax.com>...
> On 22 Oct 2004 04:10:12 GMT, Steven Whatley
> <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> was understood to have stated the
> following:
>
> >The only to Bible programs that I know that work together are Laridian's
> >MyBible and Memorize. One can launch MyBible from within Memorize almost
> >in the manner you seek. But, it is not what you are looking for (ie:
> >launch from MemoPad). So, MyBible does have the mechanism to be lauched
> >and be opened to a spefied book, chapter, and verse. If one know how to
> >call MyBible the correct way, then a hack or DA can be created.
>
> It should be a relatively easy "hack", although not in the "Palm"
> sense of the word. An app could read the reference from the clipboard,
> then update the current position in preferences for MyBible (or
> whatever), and then invoke the Bible reading app itself.

PsLink can do this easily in OS5, MegaWiki does it in OS4 and before.

Pavy
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:13:25 AM

pavy wrote:

> Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:<mRded.267$p87.179@fe2.texas.rr.com>...

> It has been suggested that the renaming of OS5 and OS6 means they will
> be maintained simultaneously,

Yes, for a while. Heck, even OS 4.x is still being maintained to
some extent.

>>There are still ways,
>>one of which is to register for a notification for the command bar.
>>That its own problems, both technical and also the fact that many
>>people don't know what the command bar is or that it exists. :-)

> You seem a bit pessimistic. Have you tried MegaWiki, PsLink or any of
> the other Wikis or linkers?

Can't say I've tried these programs, but I have tried a few dictionaries
and other similar things that let you look up a word from within another
program like the memopad, datebook, etc. The ones I've seen work from
the command bar, and though I've used the Palm since the days of the
Pilot 1000 (the first model ever, with only 128k of RAM), I wasn't
really familiar with the command bar. (Partly because the old Palm
didn't have one.)

Anyway, from a programmer's point of view, adding something to
the command bar when your application is not running is a pain.
The OS doesn't want you to do it, so you have to do tricks. In
particular, you have to make a bitmap available for the command
bar, which is a bit tricky since your program isn't even running
(so you can't access its internal bitmaps).

Probably there are other ways as well, but there is no truly good
way to do something like this. Or at least none that I've run
across; if there's one I don't know about, then it might be nice
to hear about it.

>>Once you have gotten to this point, though, do you want to launch
>>the other app and then return to the memopad or whatever afterwards?
>>If so, that's a pain. Actually, you're probably not even supposed
>>to do it, officially. If you don't want to return to the memopad,
>>then it's not as big a deal, but it's also not as useful.

> These issues have already been addressed with MegaWiki and PsLink. In
> particular with the latter, I simply use Switch5.

I assumed you were talking about looking something up then returning
to the still-open application you came from. After all, to me that
seems like the most useful thing to do. As a substitute, you can
leave one application, go to the other, and then re-launch the
original application, but when you do that, not all applications
will take you back to where you were before you left. For example,
if you're in the ToDo app looking at a note attached to a todo item,
and then you leave the app and come back, then you are no longer
looking at the note, and in fact there is no indication what todo
item you were looking at. That may not be a big crisis, but ideally
if you are looking up something really quick, you'd probably like to
return to exactly what you were doing before you looked it up.

- Logan
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 5:16:49 PM

"James" <jimmyb@NOSPAMchebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message news:<cl8vgi$li4$1@News.Dal.Ca>...
> Hello-
>
> Glad to see someone is making true use of a Palm <grin.>
>
> I'm a preacher in Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm currently trying to get a unt to
> use as a preaching aid (Bible Study, Sermon recorder....)
>
> I used to use a simple Clie 615 with Biblethumper and BibleReader
>
> I moved to PPC to use E-Sword....but E-sword is terrible !
>
> so, moving back to Palm..

For a group of believers discussing the Palm, check out the following
link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BelieverPUG

Pavy
!