Help! My Inspiron 8100 won't boot.. Dell says motherboard ..

May be the battery is dead, but it doesnot help to remove it. The only sign of life is
the green light on the power adapter.
This Inspiron 8100 won't boot. anymore. For no reason.

Dell (we are in Denmark) says on the phone that motherboard has to be replaced, which
will cost about the same as the cheapest new Inspiron from Dell.

In other words , they say I should throw it away and buy a new one. Unbelievable !

Any suggestions ?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Try ebay for a 2nd hand board thats your cheapest option

"Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Try ebay for a 2nd hand board thats your cheapest option

The question then is: am I able to swap board?. I have never tried to swap board in a
laptop. But I think my eyes and brain are normal....
Have you done it?
Is the risk of disaster larger than 30%?????

> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>> Try ebay for a 2nd hand board thats your cheapest option
>
> The question then is: am I able to swap board?. I have never tried to swap
> board in a
> laptop. But I think my eyes and brain are normal....
> Have you done it?
> Is the risk of disaster larger than 30%?????

Depends on your level of skill and patience. Have a look at the service
guide instructions:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8100/en/sm_en/remove.htm#1052167

I'd think the most risky part would be in *not* breaking any of the
plastics/tabs in getting to the system board.

Good luck.

Stew

Thanks
This Remove and replace parts manual is very helpful.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> skrev i en meddelelse

> "_paul" <getNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message news:YVele.26$jr2.7@news.get2net.dk...
>>
>> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>>> Try ebay for a 2nd hand board thats your cheapest option
>>
>> The question then is: am I able to swap board?. I have never tried to swap board in a
>> laptop. But I think my eyes and brain are normal....
>> Have you done it?
>> Is the risk of disaster larger than 30%?????
>>

> Depends on your level of skill and patience. Have a look at the service guide
> instructions:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8100/en/sm_en/remove.htm#1052167
>
> I'd think the most risky part would be in *not* breaking any of the plastics/tabs in
> getting to the system board.
>
> Good luck.
>

> Stew

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

I do it all day and every day its my job, best bet is to try and Find a Dell
engineer in Denmark and ask him to do it as a paid extra job charge should
be about and I'm only guessing £25- 50 / 50-100$