Overworked and looking for stress relief (gaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabban

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
1_What is your budget?
Under 3000$

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 or 17. I'm not sure about 17 because I have to travel with it sometimes.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080 or better, I like to watch HD stuff

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement I guess but I still have to carry that thing around.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not that important, but more is better. 2H+ on stamina settings (no gaming).

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
CODMW2 (High)
Mass effect 2 (High)
All the latest games at <High>.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
MS Office for work, watching movies and photo+video for family stuff.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
300G+. Raid 1 not a must but a +

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
I'm Canadian. NCIX.ca, dell.ca

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Bluray would be nice but I'm fine with DVD. I download most of what I watch and use NAS for backup etc.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm writing on my wife's old ASUS S6 (leather edition). She has carried that thing around the world for years and it's still working great. Usually she needs military grade hardware if you want it to last.
I like Alienware and will buy it if it's the best choice but I'm getting old for a computer with more lights than my Christmas three.

13_What country do you live in?
Canada!

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Do I really need to wait months for the new mobile GPUs that I'm reading about on this forum ?

rabban

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Thanks for your answer. That's probably what I'll buy. I was looking at Sager last night. They have great options for me but being in Canada it's not a wise choice. Eurocom (Clevo in Canada) prices are just ridiculous.

Thanks again

^Yeah, battery life would be worse since the AW has hybrid SLI and the integrated 9400M is used while on battery power.

I also agree with your recommendations in his other thread. P8700 + SLI 260's and 4gb of RAM. Should make for a pretty solid system.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I know this is a bit lower in performance... but is the only newegg.ca with a 260m

ASUS G Series G51Vx-X3A NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8700(2.53GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220639

Also if you decide to be serious about looking like an adult you might consider customizing a dell studio xps. They only go up to a 4670... but the design is much classier than the tacky alienware stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.