Inspiron 5000 - no lcd display

Hey all,
I lurked around the groups looking for my answer but I can't seem to find
it.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop, running XP Pro....
and nothing is coming up on the screen.
If I plug it into another monitor, it works.
However, it does start to smell like it is burning a circuit or something.

Wondering what/how I can troubleshoot this to figure out just what specific
part I need to fix this.

Its only used as an extra laptop now-a-days but I would really like to fix
it instead of junking it.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paula

--

~Slick~
http://www.roycaldwell.com

Slick wrote:

> Hey all,
> I lurked around the groups looking for my answer but I can't seem to find
> it.
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop, running XP Pro....
> and nothing is coming up on the screen.
> If I plug it into another monitor, it works.
> However, it does start to smell like it is burning a circuit or something.
>
> Wondering what/how I can troubleshoot this to figure out just what specific
> part I need to fix this.
>
> Its only used as an extra laptop now-a-days but I would really like to fix
> it instead of junking it.
> Any ideas?

Try toggling with Fn+F8.

Bob

i have found loss of video on i5000 to commonly be because of a loose
connector of the ribbon cable to the system board. this connector is easily
found under the keyboard. you can find a service manual that details how to
disassemble/reassemble the machine on support.dell.com. the cuase could of
course also be due to a number of other things such as the bulb in the lcd
having died. but checking the ribbon cable connector won't cost you
anything.

"Slick" <slick@sofakingsband.com> wrote in message
> Hey all,
> I lurked around the groups looking for my answer but I can't seem to find
> it.
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop, running XP Pro....
> and nothing is coming up on the screen.
> If I plug it into another monitor, it works.
> However, it does start to smell like it is burning a circuit or something.
>
> Wondering what/how I can troubleshoot this to figure out just what
> specific part I need to fix this.
>
> Its only used as an extra laptop now-a-days but I would really like to fix
> it instead of junking it.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Paula
>

> --
>
> ~Slick~
> http://www.roycaldwell.com
> http://www.sofakingsband.com
> http://www.wagonwheeltavern.com
> http://www.unglued-band.com
> http://www.shagshoppe.com
> http://hippiesband.50megs.com/
> http://www.shagshoppe.com/mikals-hart.com

Negative to the Fn + F8.
But I did find the manual.
http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pblan/removing.htm

I knew I only needed a little direction.
lolol

Many thanks.
Paula