Need help with finding/identifying Windows XP program

I have noticed that sometime in the last 3-4 months that I have a program
that is running in the background, which every 15 minutes or so runs (as I
see a minimized Window appear for less than 2 seconds and then dissapears)
in the background.

My computer is running fine otherwise. I have ran numerous Spyware,
Ad-Aware removers, Virus checkers, Hijackers, etc... and whatever this
program is, it doesn't get deleted.

It doesnt rally bother me (or in any way effect my PC) except for one thing.
For some reason, my SCREEN saver stops working when it runs! Meaning that
as soon as my monitor goes dark, and the program runs, it seems to cause an
effect as if someone moved the mouse or touched the keyboard.

I have tried everything in trying to locate this program, but it appears and
dissapears too quickly for me to visually catch its name or anything else
for it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try to do to identify what is
going on? I am running Windows XP SP2 with all of the latest patches (as
of today).

kelly

Evaluate the listings here: Start/Run/Msconfig/Startup

Also check your runkeys: Start/Run/Regedit

If you haven't solved the issue in either place, run:

Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

Good luck and keep us posted!
--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have noticed that sometime in the last 3-4 months that I have a program
>that is running in the background, which every 15 minutes or so runs (as I
>see a minimized Window appear for less than 2 seconds and then dissapears)
>in the background.
>
> My computer is running fine otherwise. I have ran numerous Spyware,
> Ad-Aware removers, Virus checkers, Hijackers, etc... and whatever this
> program is, it doesn't get deleted.
>
> It doesnt rally bother me (or in any way effect my PC) except for one
> thing. For some reason, my SCREEN saver stops working when it runs!
> Meaning that as soon as my monitor goes dark, and the program runs, it
> seems to cause an effect as if someone moved the mouse or touched the
> keyboard.
>
> I have tried everything in trying to locate this program, but it appears
> and dissapears too quickly for me to visually catch its name or anything
> else for it.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try to do to identify what
> is going on? I am running Windows XP SP2 with all of the latest patches
> (as of today).

"M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> wrote:

|>I have noticed that sometime in the last 3-4 months that I have a program
|>that is running in the background, which every 15 minutes or so runs (as I
|>see a minimized Window appear for less than 2 seconds and then dissapears)
|>in the background.
|>
|>My computer is running fine otherwise. I have ran numerous Spyware,
|>Ad-Aware removers, Virus checkers, Hijackers, etc... and whatever this
|>program is, it doesn't get deleted.

Download and run Process Explorer
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

In the menu under View select system info.
When this window pops up run your cursor over the line starting to the
right and read what program spike'd or was active.

Double click on that program in P.E. and read it's image, it will tell
you how it started, and where it's located.