Opening a Word document- Slow when clicking on a Word file..

When I click on a Word document (on my Desktop, for example), it seems to
take a long time for the document to open. Yet if I have Word open and click
on the document it opens instantaneously.

Similarly, when I right click on a document, photo, spreadsheet file, it
takes what seems a long time for the menu (Open, Run as, Send to, Delete,
etc..) to open.

Any ideas why this is happening?

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Pentium 4 - 3.4 MHz with 1 GB or DDR
RAM. I have run AdAware, Webroot's SpySweeper, and have Defragged my Hard
Drive (160 GB) which is largely unused!

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about opening word document slow clicking word file

    Hi Howard,

    Try the Word Solution Center and Newsgroups. Good luck!
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;EN-US;FAQS

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Howard B" <Howard B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I click on a Word document (on my Desktop, for example), it seems to
    > take a long time for the document to open. Yet if I have Word open and
    > click
    > on the document it opens instantaneously.
    >
    > Similarly, when I right click on a document, photo, spreadsheet file, it
    > takes what seems a long time for the menu (Open, Run as, Send to, Delete,
    > etc..) to open.
    >
    > Any ideas why this is happening?
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Pentium 4 - 3.4 MHz with 1 GB or DDR
    > RAM. I have run AdAware, Webroot's SpySweeper, and have Defragged my Hard
    > Drive (160 GB) which is largely unused!
    >
    > Thanks!

    Thanks for the tip-- Can't say I found an answer there. Also, does not
    explain why right clicking results in a long time to open with the menu
    choices, so I'm not sure it's a Word issue as opposed to an XP issue. By the
    way, I have SP2 installed-- it came with my system as a clean install.

    Thanks, again

    Howard B wrote:

    > Thanks for the tip-- Can't say I found an answer there. Also, does
    > not explain why right clicking results in a long time to open with the
    > menu
    > choices, so I'm not sure it's a Word issue as opposed to an XP issue.
    > By the way, I have SP2 installed-- it came with my system as a clean
    > install.

    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Howard,
    >>
    >> Try the Word Solution Center and Newsgroups. Good luck!
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;EN-US;FAQS

    >> "Howard B" <Howard B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I click on a Word document (on my Desktop, for example), it
    >> > seems to
    >> > take a long time for the document to open. Yet if I have Word open
    >> > and click
    >> > on the document it opens instantaneously.
    >> >
    >> > Similarly, when I right click on a document, photo, spreadsheet
    >> > file, it takes what seems a long time for the menu (Open, Run as,
    >> > Send to, Delete, etc..) to open.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas why this is happening?
    >> >
    >> > I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Pentium 4 - 3.4 MHz with 1 GB
    >> > or DDR
    >> > RAM. I have run AdAware, Webroot's SpySweeper, and have Defragged
    >> > my Hard Drive (160 GB) which is largely unused!

    Right-click issues are most often caused by problematic context menu
    entries by third-party programs. Use the free ShellExView to disable
    all non-MS entries in the context menu. Then enable them one at a time
    to determine which one is causing the problem.

    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

    Slow right-click and other issues -
    Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
    objects - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    If XP related, try line 157:

    > Thanks for the tip-- Can't say I found an answer there. Also, does not
    > explain why right clicking results in a long time to open with the menu
    > choices, so I'm not sure it's a Word issue as opposed to an XP issue. By
    > the
    > way, I have SP2 installed-- it came with my system as a clean install.
    >
    > Thanks, again
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Howard,
    >>
    >> Try the Word Solution Center and Newsgroups. Good luck!
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;EN-US;FAQS
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Howard B" <Howard B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I click on a Word document (on my Desktop, for example), it seems
    >> > take a long time for the document to open. Yet if I have Word open and
    >> > click
    >> > on the document it opens instantaneously.
    >> >
    >> > Similarly, when I right click on a document, photo, spreadsheet file,
    >> > it
    >> > takes what seems a long time for the menu (Open, Run as, Send to,
    >> > Delete,
    >> > etc..) to open.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas why this is happening?
    >> >
    >> > I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Pentium 4 - 3.4 MHz with 1 GB or
    >> > DDR
    >> > RAM. I have run AdAware, Webroot's SpySweeper, and have Defragged my
    >> > Hard
    >> > Drive (160 GB) which is largely unused!
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

Document Microsoft Windows XP