Opening a Word document- Slow when clicking on a Word file..

August 10, 2005 12:14:03 AM

When I click on a Word document (on my Desktop, for example), it seems to
take a long time for the document to open. Yet if I have Word open and click
on the document it opens instantaneously.

Similarly, when I right click on a document, photo, spreadsheet file, it
takes what seems a long time for the menu (Open, Run as, Send to, Delete,
etc..) to open.

Any ideas why this is happening?

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Pentium 4 - 3.4 MHz with 1 GB or DDR
RAM. I have run AdAware, Webroot's SpySweeper, and have Defragged my Hard
Drive (160 GB) which is largely unused!

Thanks!
August 10, 2005 2:24:24 AM

Hi Howard,

Try the Word Solution Center and Newsgroups. Good luck!
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;EN-US;FAQS

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Howard B" <Howard B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I click on a Word document (on my Desktop, for example), it seems to
> take a long time for the document to open. Yet if I have Word open and
> click
> on the document it opens instantaneously.
>
> Similarly, when I right click on a document, photo, spreadsheet file, it
> takes what seems a long time for the menu (Open, Run as, Send to, Delete,
> etc..) to open.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening?
>
> I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Pentium 4 - 3.4 MHz with 1 GB or DDR
> RAM. I have run AdAware, Webroot's SpySweeper, and have Defragged my Hard
> Drive (160 GB) which is largely unused!
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:24:25 AM

Thanks for the tip-- Can't say I found an answer there. Also, does not
explain why right clicking results in a long time to open with the menu
choices, so I'm not sure it's a Word issue as opposed to an XP issue. By the
way, I have SP2 installed-- it came with my system as a clean install.

Thanks, again

"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi Howard,
>
> Try the Word Solution Center and Newsgroups. Good luck!
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;EN-US;FAQS
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Howard B" <Howard B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I click on a Word document (on my Desktop, for example), it seems to
> > take a long time for the document to open. Yet if I have Word open and
> > click
> > on the document it opens instantaneously.
> >
> > Similarly, when I right click on a document, photo, spreadsheet file, it
> > takes what seems a long time for the menu (Open, Run as, Send to, Delete,
> > etc..) to open.
> >
> > Any ideas why this is happening?
> >
> > I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Pentium 4 - 3.4 MHz with 1 GB or DDR
> > RAM. I have run AdAware, Webroot's SpySweeper, and have Defragged my Hard
> > Drive (160 GB) which is largely unused!
> >
> > Thanks!

Related resources
August 10, 2005 12:14:43 PM

Howard B wrote:

> Thanks for the tip-- Can't say I found an answer there. Also, does
> not explain why right clicking results in a long time to open with the
> menu
> choices, so I'm not sure it's a Word issue as opposed to an XP issue.
> By the way, I have SP2 installed-- it came with my system as a clean
> install.

> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> Hi Howard,
>>
>> Try the Word Solution Center and Newsgroups. Good luck!
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;EN-US;FAQS

>> "Howard B" <Howard B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I click on a Word document (on my Desktop, for example), it
>> > seems to
>> > take a long time for the document to open. Yet if I have Word open
>> > and click
>> > on the document it opens instantaneously.
>> >
>> > Similarly, when I right click on a document, photo, spreadsheet
>> > file, it takes what seems a long time for the menu (Open, Run as,
>> > Send to, Delete, etc..) to open.
>> >
>> > Any ideas why this is happening?
>> >
>> > I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Pentium 4 - 3.4 MHz with 1 GB
>> > or DDR
>> > RAM. I have run AdAware, Webroot's SpySweeper, and have Defragged
>> > my Hard Drive (160 GB) which is largely unused!

Right-click issues are most often caused by problematic context menu
entries by third-party programs. Use the free ShellExView to disable
all non-MS entries in the context menu. Then enable them one at a time
to determine which one is causing the problem.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Slow right-click and other issues -
Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
objects - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers