Only one user can have access to Palm Desktop? (was: Setti..

October 21, 2004 3:22:21 AM

Jim Anderson wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2004 09:14:46 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...
>
> > I installed Palm Desktop 4.1.4 on Win2K/SP4. I did it from the
> > administrator account. However, I can't access the software from a
> > nonadministrator account. I made all palmOne directories,
> > subdirectories and files accessible by all (readable and executable)
> > using cygwin command line interpreter. When I run Palm Desktop, I get
> > a window saying that the configuration is incorrect, and that it was
> > terminating.
> >
> > Oh well, I thought, looks like the program is hardwired for the
> > administrator account -- or possibly whichever account was used to
> > install it. Unfortunately, my fiddling around to open up the
> > file/directory permissions also prevented the administrator account
> > from running it. When I double-click the shortcut, I only get the
> > palmOne splash window. I don't even get any buttons to dismiss it.
> > I have to kill off the Palm.exe process from the task manager.
> >
> > In the end, I fixed the corrupt software by reinstalling it. I didn't
> > try to open it up to nonadministrators anymore. Is there a way to
> > do that?
>
> Give User admin rights.
> Install software logged in as user.
> Hotsync at least once as user w/admin rights.
> revoke admin rights.

The above trick allows the nonadmin account to access the PalmDesktop, but when
I try from the administrator account, I get the splash logo, along with a popup
error message "Error: Invalid configuration. Terminating Palm Desktop." This is
exactly what I got from the noadministrator account before the above trick. Is
this to be expected?

I'm not sure if this is related, but since installing Palm Desktop, I have a
nameless folder on the desktop of the administrator account. Popping up the
context menu on it doesn't give the option of asking for its properties. The
only popup options are "Cut", "Create shortcut", and "Delete".

Fred
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 4:08:16 AM

On 20 Oct 2004 23:22:21 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...

> Jim Anderson wrote:
> >
> > On 10 Oct 2004 09:14:46 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...
> >
> > > I installed Palm Desktop 4.1.4 on Win2K/SP4. I did it from the
> > > administrator account. However, I can't access the software from a
> > > nonadministrator account. I made all palmOne directories,
> > > subdirectories and files accessible by all (readable and executable)
> > > using cygwin command line interpreter. When I run Palm Desktop, I get
> > > a window saying that the configuration is incorrect, and that it was
> > > terminating.
> > >
> > > Oh well, I thought, looks like the program is hardwired for the
> > > administrator account -- or possibly whichever account was used to
> > > install it. Unfortunately, my fiddling around to open up the
> > > file/directory permissions also prevented the administrator account
> > > from running it. When I double-click the shortcut, I only get the
> > > palmOne splash window. I don't even get any buttons to dismiss it.
> > > I have to kill off the Palm.exe process from the task manager.
> > >
> > > In the end, I fixed the corrupt software by reinstalling it. I didn't
> > > try to open it up to nonadministrators anymore. Is there a way to
> > > do that?
> >
> > Give User admin rights.
> > Install software logged in as user.
> > Hotsync at least once as user w/admin rights.
> > revoke admin rights.
>
> The above trick allows the nonadmin account to access the PalmDesktop, but when
> I try from the administrator account, I get the splash logo, along with a popup
> error message "Error: Invalid configuration. Terminating Palm Desktop." This is
> exactly what I got from the noadministrator account before the above trick. Is
> this to be expected?
>
> I'm not sure if this is related, but since installing Palm Desktop, I have a
> nameless folder on the desktop of the administrator account. Popping up the
> context menu on it doesn't give the option of asking for its properties. The
> only popup options are "Cut", "Create shortcut", and "Delete".
>
> Fred

Don't know, sorry.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Jim Anderson wrote:

> On 20 Oct 2004 23:22:21 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...
>
> > Jim Anderson wrote:
> > >
> > > On 10 Oct 2004 09:14:46 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...

The Trick For NonAdministrators to Use Palm Desktop
> > > Give User admin rights.
> > > Install software logged in as user.
> > > Hotsync at least once as user w/admin rights.
> > > revoke admin rights.
> >
> > The above trick allows the nonadmin account to access the PalmDesktop, but when
> > I try from the administrator account, I get the splash logo, along with a popup
> > error message "Error: Invalid configuration. Terminating Palm Desktop." This is
> > exactly what I got from the noadministrator account before the above trick. Is
> > this to be expected?
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is related, but since installing Palm Desktop, I have a
> > nameless folder on the desktop of the administrator account. Popping up the
> > context menu on it doesn't give the option of asking for its properties. The
> > only popup options are "Cut", "Create shortcut", and "Delete".
>
> Don't know, sorry.

OK, thanks. If anyone else has done the same trick and has tried launching
PalmDesktop as administrator, I'd appreciate if he/she could let me know
if they are also unable to launch it. As well, I'd be curious to know if
anyone else has an unnamed folder on their desktop after installing PalmDesktop,
or after trying the same trick (above).

Fred
!