Do Dell systems come with a Windows XP CD?

I'm in the market for a laptop and I just found this newsgroup. Dell chat
is not working at the present time so I'm looking for some help and advice
around here. Does Dell furnish their systems with a Windows XP disk or do
they use a "system restore" disk? Or are they using the method similar to
HP by putting a copy of the OEM operating system on a hidden partition?

Any help will be appreciated.

BigJim

no they do not come with the OS disk anymore.
however if you call and bitch they may send you one.
there is a way to make a restore OS disk built into the system and you may
make just one/

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm in the market for a laptop and I just found this newsgroup. Dell chat
> is not working at the present time so I'm looking for some help and advice
> around here. Does Dell furnish their systems with a Windows XP disk or do
> they use a "system restore" disk? Or are they using the method similar to
> HP by putting a copy of the OEM operating system on a hidden partition?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

That's not quite true and HUGELY misleading to the OP.

They come with the ability to make a REAL XP disk, NOT a restore disk.

Tom
"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> no they do not come with the OS disk anymore.
> however if you call and bitch they may send you one.
> there is a way to make a restore OS disk built into the system and you may
> make just one/
>
> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm in the market for a laptop and I just found this newsgroup. Dell
>> chat
>> is not working at the present time so I'm looking for some help and
>> advice
>> around here. Does Dell furnish their systems with a Windows XP disk or
>> do
>> they use a "system restore" disk? Or are they using the method similar
>> HP by putting a copy of the OEM operating system on a hidden partition?
>>
>> Any help will be appreciated.

Absolutely correct - except if you don't have a burner in the system it's
sort of pointless.

In that case an email to Dell will produce the XP CD in your mail box within
a few days. I have one sitting right here.

> That's not quite true and HUGELY misleading to the OP.
>
> They come with the ability to make a REAL XP disk, NOT a restore disk.
>
> Tom
> "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> no they do not come with the OS disk anymore.
>> however if you call and bitch they may send you one.
>> there is a way to make a restore OS disk built into the system and you
>> may make just one/
>>
>> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm in the market for a laptop and I just found this newsgroup. Dell
>>> chat
>>> is not working at the present time so I'm looking for some help and
>>> advice
>>> around here. Does Dell furnish their systems with a Windows XP disk or
>>> do
>>> they use a "system restore" disk? Or are they using the method similar
>>> HP by putting a copy of the OEM operating system on a hidden partition?
>>>
>>> Any help will be appreciated.

Me too. I called tech support and politely asked for the XP cd. He sent me
XP and the Dell drivers cd.
Monica

"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Absolutely correct - except if you don't have a burner in the system it's
> sort of pointless.
>
> In that case an email to Dell will produce the XP CD in your mail box
> within a

BigJim

Hey Tom have you tried an install with xp created cd yet, just curious.

> That's not quite true and HUGELY misleading to the OP.
>
> They come with the ability to make a REAL XP disk, NOT a restore disk.
>
> Tom
> "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> no they do not come with the OS disk anymore.
>> however if you call and bitch they may send you one.
>> there is a way to make a restore OS disk built into the system and you
>> may make just one/
>>
>> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm in the market for a laptop and I just found this newsgroup. Dell
>>> chat
>>> is not working at the present time so I'm looking for some help and
>>> advice
>>> around here. Does Dell furnish their systems with a Windows XP disk or
>>> do
>>> they use a "system restore" disk? Or are they using the method similar
>>> HP by putting a copy of the OEM operating system on a hidden partition?
>>>
>>> Any help will be appreciated.

There actually seems to be two situations here with different outcomes. I
ordered a 2400 from the Small Business site and an actual XP with SP2 disc
came with the system. I also ordered an 8400 from the Home site and did not
receive any restore or drivers disc. I did not order the system with a
burner since I had a DVD dual layer burner. The option to burn an XP disc
was not available until I installed the burner. I then burned an XP disc
which actually was slipstreamed with all of the proper drivers already. That
would seem to be an even better choice than separate XP and driver discs.

Regards,
John O.
"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm in the market for a laptop and I just found this newsgroup. Dell chat
> is not working at the present time so I'm looking for some help and advice
> around here. Does Dell furnish their systems with a Windows XP disk or do
> they use a "system restore" disk? Or are they using the method similar to
> HP by putting a copy of the OEM operating system on a hidden partition?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

Not personally, but if you do a search you'll see others have.

> Hey Tom have you tried an install with xp created cd yet, just curious.

>> That's not quite true and HUGELY misleading to the OP.
>>
>> They come with the ability to make a REAL XP disk, NOT a restore disk.
>>
>> Tom
>> "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> no they do not come with the OS disk anymore.
>>> however if you call and bitch they may send you one.
>>> there is a way to make a restore OS disk built into the system and you
>>> may make just one/
>>>
>>> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Just as an FYI. My new Inspiron 9300 with Windows Media Center did not come
with any Windows media. Additionally, there was no utility on the hard drive
to burn CDs of the Windows media from the hard drive. There were/are two
hidden partitions on the HD, one was CP/M and did not appear to contain
anything, the other was FAT32 and seemed to have the Dell image in it. The
documentation (as far as I can tell) does not say how to access this,
though. Phone support said I could hit Cntrl-something on boot to restore
the image.

Dell did overnight the Windows MCE media and the drivers disk to me with no
complaints.

Mike

> That's not quite true and HUGELY misleading to the OP.
>
> They come with the ability to make a REAL XP disk, NOT a restore disk.
>
> Tom
> "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > no they do not come with the OS disk anymore.
> > however if you call and bitch they may send you one.
> > there is a way to make a restore OS disk built into the system and you
may
> > make just one/
> >
> > "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm in the market for a laptop and I just found this newsgroup. Dell
> >> chat
> >> is not working at the present time so I'm looking for some help and
> >> advice
> >> around here. Does Dell furnish their systems with a Windows XP disk or
> >> do
> >> they use a "system restore" disk? Or are they using the method similar
> >> HP by putting a copy of the OEM operating system on a hidden partition?
> >>
> >> Any help will be appreciated.

> They come with the ability to make a REAL XP disk, NOT a restore disk.

Can you tell me step by step how to do this? Thanks.

jay

How exactly did you create this slipsstreamed XP setup disk???
I cant figure this out.
Thanks Jay

John O wrote:

> There actually seems to be two situations here with different outcomes. I
> ordered a 2400 from the Small Business site and an actual XP with SP2 disc
> came with the system. I also ordered an 8400 from the Home site and did not
> receive any restore or drivers disc. I did not order the system with a
> burner since I had a DVD dual layer burner. The option to burn an XP disc
> was not available until I installed the burner. I then burned an XP disc
> which actually was slipstreamed with all of the proper drivers already. That
> would seem to be an even better choice than separate XP and driver discs.
>
> Regards,
> John O.
> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm in the market for a laptop and I just found this newsgroup. Dell chat
>>is not working at the present time so I'm looking for some help and advice
>>around here. Does Dell furnish their systems with a Windows XP disk or do
>>they use a "system restore" disk? Or are they using the method similar to
>>HP by putting a copy of the OEM operating system on a hidden partition?
>>
>>Any help will be appreciated.

My INspiron 5100 bought last February (2004) came with a Win XP Home disk.

"S.P." <schmartypantz@yahooooo.com> wrote in message
>> They come with the ability to make a REAL XP disk, NOT a restore disk.
>
> Can you tell me step by step how to do this? Thanks.

When you receive the new system, you have the ability to burn one XP CD
disc. That disc is a slipstreamed version which includes drivers such as the
SB 24 bit and the RAID driver required for the SATA drives. I burned the
disc and then formatted and clean installed using that same disc and it was
much easier with the slipstreamed disc as opposed to the standard XP disc
(which I also had from a new 2400 system recently purchased).

Regards,
John O.

"Jay" <jay@audiman.net> wrote in message
> How exactly did you create this slipsstreamed XP setup disk???
> I cant figure this out.
> Thanks Jay
>

> John O wrote:
>
>> There actually seems to be two situations here with different outcomes. I
>> ordered a 2400 from the Small Business site and an actual XP with SP2
>> disc came with the system. I also ordered an 8400 from the Home site and
>> did not receive any restore or drivers disc. I did not order the system
>> with a burner since I had a DVD dual layer burner. The option to burn an
>> XP disc was not available until I installed the burner. I then burned an
>> XP disc which actually was slipstreamed with all of the proper drivers
>> already. That would seem to be an even better choice than separate XP and
>> driver discs.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John O.
>> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm in the market for a laptop and I just found this newsgroup. Dell
>>>chat
>>>is not working at the present time so I'm looking for some help and
>>>advice
>>>around here. Does Dell furnish their systems with a Windows XP disk or
>>>do
>>>they use a "system restore" disk? Or are they using the method similar
>>>HP by putting a copy of the OEM operating system on a hidden partition?
>>>
>>>Any help will be appreciated.

How does this "slipstreamed" disc differ from the standard XP disc other
than having the necessary Dell drivers? Maybe I should ask the definition
of "slipstreamed disc".
Monica

http://www.petri.co.il/windows_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm

"Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> How does this "slipstreamed" disc differ from the standard XP disc other
> than having the necessary Dell drivers? Maybe I should ask the definition
> of "slipstreamed disc".
> Monica
> "John O" <jo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> When you receive the new system, you have the ability to burn one XP CD
>> disc. That disc is a slipstreamed version which includes drivers such as
>> the SB 24 bit and the RAID driver required for the SATA drives. I burned
>> the

Thanks. I was wondering how air currents fit into burning CDs <g>

Monica

> http://www.petri.co.il/windows_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm
>
> "Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
>> How does this "slipstreamed" disc differ from the standard XP disc other
>> than having the necessary Dell drivers? Maybe I should ask the
>> definition of "slipstreamed disc".
>> Monica
>> "John O" <jo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>>> When you receive the new system, you have the ability to burn one XP CD
>>> disc. That disc is a slipstreamed version which includes drivers such as
>>> the SB 24 bit and the RAID driver required for the SATA drives. I burned
>>> the

jay

Hi John,
you never answered my question below.
Where is the ability to burn the CD?
I don't see any options anywhere for this.
Thanks Jay

Jay <jay@audiman.net> wrote in news:i73le.263$HP1.57@fe08.lga:

> Hi John,
> you never answered my question below.
> Where is the ability to burn the CD?
> I don't see any options anywhere for this.
> Thanks Jay

Not sure if it's slipstream or not. It's probably the same version of OS
you got when you initially bought your machine, which may or may not have
Windows XP Service Pack 2.

According to the Dell forum:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

I haven't tried it myself as my system is two and a half years old and it did
come with Windows XP CDs.

-lyj

> John O wrote:
>
>> When you receive the new system, you have the ability to burn one XP CD
>> disc. That disc is a slipstreamed version which includes drivers such
>> as the SB 24 bit and the RAID driver required for the SATA drives. I
>> burned the disc and then formatted and clean installed using that same
>> disc and it was much easier with the slipstreamed disc as opposed to
>> the standard XP disc (which I also had from a new 2400 system recently
>> purchased).
>>
>> Regards,
>> John O.
>>
>> "Jay" <jay@audiman.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>How exactly did you create this slipsstreamed XP setup disk???
>>>I cant figure this out.
>>>Thanks Jay

jay

thanks for your informative response.
it looks like this is not a "slipstream" xp setup, but a full image of
the harddrive.
and what if we dont have this dell os recovery utility, since i wiped my
disk clean already and reinstalled from the straight xp setup disk,
where can i get a copy of the os recovery program?
i will check dell's web site while i await a response.
thanks jay

Jay <jay@audiman.net> wrote in news:114le.1025$So7.1@fe10.lga:

> thanks for your informative response.
> it looks like this is not a "slipstream" xp setup, but a full image of
> the harddrive.
> and what if we dont have this dell os recovery utility, since i wiped my
> disk clean already and reinstalled from the straight xp setup disk,
> where can i get a copy of the os recovery program?
> i will check dell's web site while i await a response.
> thanks jay

I'm not sure, but if you have wiped your drive, you are probably out of
luck. You sound like you have a copy of the Windows XP CD. If you do, and
if you have downloaded the network (big) version of WinXP Service Pack 2,
you can use a program called AutoStreamer to do the slipstreaming.

It looks like the AutoStreamer program is no longer maintained, but you can
still find it here: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562

-lyj

> LastYJ wrote:
>
>> Jay <jay@audiman.net> wrote in news:i73le.263$HP1.57@fe08.lga:
>>

>>>Hi John,
>>>you never answered my question below.
>>>Where is the ability to burn the CD?
>>>I don't see any options anywhere for this.
>>>Thanks Jay
>>

>> Not sure if it's slipstream or not. It's probably the same version of
>> OS you got when you initially bought your machine, which may or may not
>> have Windows XP Service Pack 2.
>>

>> According to the Dell forum:
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/documen
>> t?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>>

>> I haven't tried it myself as my system is two and a half years old and
>> it did come with Windows XP CDs.
>>
>> -lyj

>> News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
>> World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
>> Total Privacy via Encryption =----

If you wiped the drive and clean installed then it is too late to try and
burn the disc. The ability was under the Accessories I believe but the forum
site reference tells the whole story. This is NOT an image of the drive but
an XP disc with the correct drivers already included. So for example, if you
have an SATA drive set for RAID, the drivers will be correctly installed
during the clean install boot so that the HD is recognized. The SB 24
drivers are also included so the sound card is correctly installed during
the clean install. Again a moot point if you have already formatted.

Regards,
John O.

PS
Sorry for the lack of a quick response but work comes first...(have to pay
for all of this computer addicted equipment...grin).