When trying to run some applications, I receive this message. "The Win16
Subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode. DOSX.EXE must be in your
AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH." I googled this, but most of what I
found were not straight-forward approaches. Any help? Thanks.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767/
Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
> When trying to run some applications, I receive this message. "The Win16
> Subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode. DOSX.EXE must be in your
> AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH." I googled this, but most of what I
> found were not straight-forward approaches. Any help? Thanks.

Did the steps on the Microsoft website and now I get a different message.
"config.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and
Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application."

Follow the same steps, but extract the CONFIG.NT file, instead of the AUTOEXEC.NT file.

As a time saver, the CONFIG.NT file in C:\Windows\System32 has a lot of lines, but all but three of them are REM'd out, in a basic, nothing added/changed file.

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

Follow the same steps, but extract the CONFIG.NT file, instead of the
AUTOEXEC.NT file.

As a time saver, the CONFIG.NT file in C:\Windows\System32 has a lot of
lines, but all but three of them are REM'd out, in a basic, nothing
added/changed file.

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767/
> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
> program
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
>> When trying to run some applications, I receive this message. "The Win16
>> Subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode. DOSX.EXE must be in your
>> AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH." I googled this, but most of what
>> found were not straight-forward approaches. Any help? Thanks.
>>

> Did the steps on the Microsoft website and now I get a different message.
> "config.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and
> Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application."

My mother's computer is the computer that has this problem. Instead of
retyping all of that, I just copied the file from my computer and put it on
my mother's computer. I restarted the computer. Now when I try to open the
programs, nothing happens. I am going to reinstall the programs and see
what will happen. If this doesn't work, I'll be back... Thanks.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
Follow the same steps, but extract the CONFIG.NT file, instead of the
AUTOEXEC.NT file.

As a time saver, the CONFIG.NT file in C:\Windows\System32 has a lot of
lines, but all but three of them are REM'd out, in a basic, nothing
added/changed file.

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767/
> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
> program
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
>> When trying to run some applications, I receive this message. "The Win16
>> Subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode. DOSX.EXE must be in your
>> AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH." I googled this, but most of what
>> found were not straight-forward approaches. Any help? Thanks.
>>

> Did the steps on the Microsoft website and now I get a different message.
> "config.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and
> Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application."

Nothing even after reinstalling the program and several restarts. No matter
if CONFIG.NT is read-only or not. I did notice that the old CONFIG.NT file
on mother's computer is only 1KB whereas the one from my computer is 2KB.

> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Follow the same steps, but extract the CONFIG.NT file, instead of the
> AUTOEXEC.NT file.
>
> As a time saver, the CONFIG.NT file in C:\Windows\System32 has a lot of
> lines, but all but three of them are REM'd out, in a basic, nothing
> added/changed file.
>
> dos=high, umb
> device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
> files=40
>

> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
>> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767/
>> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
>> program
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
>> Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
>>> When trying to run some applications, I receive this message. "The
>>> Win16
>>> Subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode. DOSX.EXE must be in your
>>> AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH." I googled this, but most of what
>>> found were not straight-forward approaches. Any help? Thanks.
>>>

>> Did the steps on the Microsoft website and now I get a different message.
>> "config.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and
>> Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
>> application."
>>

> Nothing even after reinstalling the program and several restarts. No
> matter if CONFIG.NT is read-only or not. I did notice that the old
> CONFIG.NT file on mother's computer is only 1KB whereas the one from my
> computer is 2KB.

OK, I went and copied all of the 3 key files that we've been dealing with
from my computer, and now I can open the program. The program is a game and
is called Solitaire Master 2. It's by eGames. It's always worked fine
before. *However*, when I open the program, I now receive this message.
SHRINKER.ERR
"C:\PROGRA~1\EGAMES\SOLITA~1\GAME\wcdemo.exe (3.4) 08/10/05 19:23:34 - Pager
initialisation error 5 - The parameter is incorrect."
I tried to look this up on the Internet and a person said that this error
usually appears when a piece of software is pirated, HOWEVER, THIS GAME IS
NOT PIRATED AND IS GENUINE. Since it deals with eGames, I don't know how
much futher you can assist me, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

> [...]
>> CONFIG.NT file on mother's computer is only 1KB whereas the one from my
>> computer is 2KB.
>>
> OK, I went and copied all of the 3 key files that we've been dealing with
> from my computer, and now I can open the program. The program is a game
> and is called Solitaire Master 2. It's by eGames. It's always worked
> fine before. *However*, when I open the program, I now receive this
> message. SHRINKER.ERR
> "C:\PROGRA~1\EGAMES\SOLITA~1\GAME\wcdemo.exe (3.4) 08/10/05 19:23:34 -
> Pager initialisation error 5 - The parameter is incorrect."
> I tried to look this up on the Internet and a person said that this error
> usually appears when a piece of software is pirated, HOWEVER, THIS GAME IS
> NOT PIRATED AND IS GENUINE. Since it deals with eGames, I don't know how
> much futher you can assist me, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I noticed in that location that the error described, there was a file that
was named SHRINKER.ERR. I have the same exact game on my computer and this
file does not exist. I even searched my entire hard disk (and both of them)
for the file "SHRINKER.ERR" and no results were found. I'm beginning to
wonder if this file is a no-no. My guess is this would be the cause of
these other problems. Secondly, I must now search mother's hard disks for
this file in case it has lodged itself elsewhere in her computer. Also, I
should see if I can find any files that could potentially be related to it.
I'll have to look closely. Maybe it was called SHRINKER.ERR for a reason
because those 3 key files were a lot smaller than they were supposed to be.

There are references to this error being attributed to a DLL file that was compressed with 3rd party software called Shrinker. Its possible that Shrinker (or the programs installer) does something to Autoexec.nt or Config.nt that's necessary for it to work correctly.

While I can't find specific references to your program, this may be able to lead you to an answer from the makers of the game, and what files that they install are compressed using Shrinker.

From another post: I believe I downloaded the program from ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/dshrnk16.zip
but it might not remain there indefinitely; where else it might be found I don't know. I have provided the same .zip file as an attachment to this bug.

This program is purported to "uncompress" executables and DLL's that are compressed with Shrinker.

There are references to this error being attributed to a DLL file that was
compressed with 3rd party software called Shrinker. Its possible that
Shrinker (or the programs installer) does something to Autoexec.nt or
Config.nt that's necessary for it to work correctly.

While I can't find specific references to your program, this may be able to
lead you to an answer from the makers of the game, and what files that they
install are compressed using Shrinker.

From another post: I believe I downloaded the program from
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/dshrnk16.zip
> [...]

>> Thanks.
>>
> I noticed in that location that the error described, there was a file that
> was named SHRINKER.ERR. I have the same exact game on my computer and
> this
> file does not exist. I even searched my entire hard disk (and both of
> them)
> for the file "SHRINKER.ERR" and no results were found. I'm beginning to
> wonder if this file is a no-no. My guess is this would be the cause of
> these other problems. Secondly, I must now search mother's hard disks for
> this file in case it has lodged itself elsewhere in her computer. Also, I
> should see if I can find any files that could potentially be related to
> it.
> I'll have to look closely. Maybe it was called SHRINKER.ERR for a reason
> because those 3 key files were a lot smaller than they were supposed to

OK, thanks, but I'll be going out of town, so I'll try it when I get back
home. Thanks.