thermal paste vs tape

TARIK26Z

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
I just brought a gigabyte motherboard in the manual i stated that thermal tape transfer heat better than tape and that the paste hardens over time and is hard to remove when uninstalling the fan and cpu. so shuld i get paste or tape?

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Good thermal paste conducts heat better than "tape". As far as uninstalling a hsf, I just use some acetone to wipe the cpu die clean then reapply.

If you're not overclocking, the tape will get the job done np. If you're sensitive about CPU temps and overclocking, good paste is a must (I like Arctic Silver 3).

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
I agree.. nothing beats AS3!... nothing.. in general paste is better than tape I think.

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Paste!! AS3!!! Nothing but!!!!

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3 Ti500 w/64MB DDR
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

My computer is bigger than your computer....

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I think mobo/cpu manufacturers prefer that tape be used because of its simplicity. Applying AS3 is a little trickier (not really but some people mange to screw it up).

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Thermal pads suffer two major drawbacks...

First they have to be held on the heatsink somehow. This is generally done with gum, not unlike the stuff used on scotch tape. While they do use an extremely thin layer, the gum remains between the CPU and Heatsink, and it has truly lousy thermal qualities. In fact, if you look closely after removing a heatsink you will see that the only thing remaining is the gum itself.

Second, the pads have thickness. In order for the CPU to mate up with the heatsink, this thickness must be eliminated somehow. This is done with heat, by letting the CPU get hot enough to melt it's way into the thermal rubber material, which takes takes place at temperature the CPU should never reach... 80c to be exact. So for a couple of seconds the first time you fire up your system, the CPU is essentially insulated from the heatsink until the pad melts. Hopefully this happens within the 5 or 10 seconds it takes an AMD cpu to self-destruct without cooling.

I always take the thermal pads off and put on thermal grease. Any thermal grease is going to work better and be safer than those silly pads.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

NE_Corridor

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Although it's true that some cheaper pastes harden (dry out)over time, good quality pastes last so long, you hardly have to worry about them over the course of your current cpu's lifespan. However, many people do apply a fresh layer of paste when they clean (vacuum out) their HSFs. Oh btw, pastes are better than tapes.

Call me Caine.

NE_Corridor

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Although it's true that some cheaper pastes harden (dry out)over time, good quality pastes last so long, you hardly have to worry about them over the course of your current cpu's lifespan. However, many people do apply a fresh layer of paste when they clean (vacuum out) their HSFs. Oh btw, pastes are better than tapes.

Call me Caine.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I've been using the stuff from Radio Shack, in the squeeze tubes for about 15 or 20 years now. I've got power transistors I put the stuff on that have been in use all of that long... Lift one of them up and the stuff underneath is still soft and easy to pick up on your finger. The extra around the edges does dry out but that's not a problem.

I doubt the "drying out" thing is much of a worry.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
there were stories about the first artic silver "evaporating" after some time, there would simply be none left between the hsf.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
The oils dry up, but the active ingredient (usually zinc oxide, silicon oxide or silver oxide) will still be there. The oils are just a carrier to make it easy to apply.