HP Pavilion a500n video problem

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hi guys, I have a very weird problem with my HP Pavilion a500n, all of a sudden, the computer changed the screen quality to 16-bit, so the colors look awful, and inside windows I could not change it back, it would not let me, so I went to the BIOS and noticed that the MOBO had an option on video where you could choose 1MB or 8MB dedicated for video, so I changed it back to 8MB for video, and it worked, PC went normal again... But, every 2 days or something, it keeps changing to 1MB by ITSELF so windows looks horrible again, and I have to restart and change it.
Do you guys know why this could be happening?

Thanks.

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
mmm that would be weird, I gave this PC to my mother secretary, and she only uses Office, the PC is not even connected to the internet.
I installed Windows 7 Home Premium, then Office, and AVG antivirus and that was all, and she is not very good with PCs so I think she doesn't even know how to install something LOL...
Any other idea?

Thanks

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Are you using your Graphics properties to change this? I just fixed a similar issue...

I had a user that had to manually changer their screen resolution/screen side each morning, and it was because she was using the Windows display properties...

If you have a Graphics card and the correct driver installed (let's assume you do) it wont matter what you tell windows to set your screen settings to because the graphics driver overrides it.

Try right clicking on your desktop, if you can see graphic display properties... that's where you have to go to change the setting... but if you cant the graphics display properties might be in the control panel.

Let me know how you went.