Frankensteined 7.2 surround - yay or ney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I recently upgraded my PC audio. I bought the Logitech X-540 5.1 surround system and an AuzentTech Bravura 7.1 sound card. Sounds really great. But, I have my old 2.1 Altec Lansing speakers sitting around... Well, I decided to plug them in to the front R/L and use the X540's R/L for sides, effectively making a 7.2 sound set up. So far it does sound pretty good. I noticed with the fronts set to full range the sub gets distorted fairly easy at mildly loud volume so I've begun fooling around with settings. It appears to work pretty well if I set a feature in the AuzenTech's control panel to set the sub crossover at 65hz and to just leave the fronts as small type instead of full range.

Anyway it does sound decent but now the fronts are powered and the satelites/sub are powered so I have 2 volume knobs although it works fairly well to just use the volume control in windows. I noticed last night however after turning the PC off, the older 2.1s have a buzz after the PC is off while the X540s do not. When the PC is on tho it seems pretty clean. Still, this is definitely a sign of their age (something like 2 or 2.5 yrs).

The Altec's are basically these http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/altec-lansing-2-1-speaker-system-vs4121blk/10093051.aspx?path=be288af7405e8864d93b674425f68875en02

My main concern I guess is degraded sound quality with older speakers that may or may not be dying, as well as having 2 subs (albeit with a crossover) cancelling or mudling the bass. Like I said tho... now that I've tweaked it with the sub crossover it seems better, but I had hoped to have more bass with the larger sub on the 2.1 speakers since the X540s only have a 5.25" sub although it does sound nice and bassy just not particularily loud.

Oh yeah? Interesting. Well I guess that sorta makes sense since they sound fine with the PC on but with it off they buzz a bit. However the new speakers do not buzz at all. So would a better surge bar reduce the buzz?

Well, I did some googling and it's more commonly reffered to as a "hiss". I found by turning the treble knob up it gets far more pronounced, and on the sub if it's moved off 50% there's a sub hiss. I guess it's just low quality parts, but since it sounds just fine with actual audio going through them I guess I'll just live with it and keep 7.2 going.

Status
Not open for further replies.