Unable to install (some) programs due to error 1606

Hello all;

Now, after my Java adventures, I'm finding that I'm unable to install "some"
programs. In the most recent attempt, I got: "Error 1606. Could not access
network location %USERPROFILE%\Recent\". I've gotten similar errors (the
"Recent" part was another directory) doing other operations including
attempts to remove things. I have no idea why this directory is considered
a "network" directory or even why I'd need that particular access.

I went to a number of MVP sites and got some tips, including adding those
registry entries. But nothing seems to work. Usually not one to be puzzled
by things on my PC, I gotta admit that after 3-days of fighting this thing
that I'm flat outta ideas on this one...

The reason I'm here is that I've been getting progressively more mired in
this thing sans resolution of any kind. In my most recent attempt to "do
something", I got that error in response to trying to install "MOVEONBOOT".
Contrary to that I had no problem installing "WinRescue XP" just before
that...

If anybody has any ideas...I'd sure appreciate the use of a few...

Dusty
San Jose
1 answer Last reply
More about unable install some programs error 1606

    You may like to attempt a repair install, see:-
    How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Microsoft Windows XP