Copying a CD

I was wondering if its possible to copy a cd (music) on to the hard drive,
and then selecting certain songs to burn one copy on a disc to play in the
car. When I created a folder to put the cd in - I thought I copied them
over, but the folder was empty.

Can anyone help please
Judy
12 answers Last reply
More about copying

    What you are wanting to do is to "rip" tracks from the cds. Look at CD
    Burner XPPro from http://www.cdburnerxp.se/features.php . This will
    allow you to "rip" the tracks then burn the cd.
    PS it's free.

    What software do you have for burning cd's? Quite often when you opt to burn
    a music cd when they ask what is the source it will let you pick multiple
    cd's. So you can insert the first music cd and pick song 7 then another cd
    and pick song 2 and so on. When you go to actually burn the cd onto a blank
    it will tell you to insert the first cd, then it will read song 7 then it
    will ask for the next cd and so on. Once it has read from all the source
    cd's you have chosen then it will burn it onto your blank. So check your
    software, you may not even have to burn it to the hard drive by yourself it
    may do all this for you.

    "Judy L" <Judy@home> wrote in message
    >I was wondering if its possible to copy a cd (music) on to the hard drive,
    >and then selecting certain songs to burn one copy on a disc to play in the
    >car. When I created a folder to put the cd in - I thought I copied them
    >over, but the folder was empty.
    >
    > Can anyone help please
    > Judy

    Nero should allow you to do what you want to do. What version of Nero
    do you have?

    The Nero support site http://www.nero.com/eng/Support.html have a large
    number of FAQs that will probably give you all the information you need.

    Have a look in the Tutorials (Previous versions) Nero Burning ROM 5
    section (tutorial 7).
    Also you can get an up grade to 5.5.10.56 from
    http://www.nero.com/eng/nero-up_vor.php if you want it.

    Ok thanks for that - I'll give it a try and report back later.

    "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > What you are wanting to do is to "rip" tracks from the cds. Look at CD
    > Burner XPPro from http://www.cdburnerxp.se/features.php . This will
    > allow you to "rip" the tracks then burn the cd.
    > PS it's free.

    Nero is all I have here. Not sure if Windows Media will let me do it.

    Thanks, I'll try anyway.

    "Jack Handey" <nothere@overthere.com> wrote in message
    > What software do you have for burning cd's? Quite often when you opt to
    > burn a music cd when they ask what is the source it will let you pick
    > multiple cd's. So you can insert the first music cd and pick song 7 then
    > another cd and pick song 2 and so on. When you go to actually burn the cd
    > onto a blank it will tell you to insert the first cd, then it will read
    > song 7 then it will ask for the next cd and so on. Once it has read from
    > all the source cd's you have chosen then it will burn it onto your blank.
    > So check your software, you may not even have to burn it to the hard drive
    > by yourself it may do all this for you.
    >

    > "Judy L" <Judy@home> wrote in message
    >>I was wondering if its possible to copy a cd (music) on to the hard drive,
    >>and then selecting certain songs to burn one copy on a disc to play in the
    >>car. When I created a folder to put the cd in - I thought I copied them
    >>over, but the folder was empty.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help please
    >> Judy

    I have v.5.5.10.9 bundled ???
    Thanks, will go into that site

    > Nero should allow you to do what you want to do. What version of Nero
    > do you have?
    >
    > The Nero support site http://www.nero.com/eng/Support.html have a large
    > number of FAQs that will probably give you all the information you need.

    Uhmmm - I only have one CD drive - could that be a problem?

    > Uhmmm - I only have one CD drive - could that be a problem?

    Please do not remove the "Re:" when replying to a post - otherwise people
    may think it's a new thread.

    Thanks

    No, Nero will save the CD copy as ISO or similar to your hard drive. This
    an image. Then Nero will use this as a template for burning another CD.
    You won't see it using the CD copy option in Nero. But this is what's
    happening in the background.

    Use the CD copy option, not audio CD burning, in Nero. Some music CDs have
    extensive copy protection, and may not be broken by Nero. In that case,
    some more extensive preparation is involved, which I'm not prepared to
    answer due to the legalities.

    "Judy L" <Judy@home> wrote in message
    > Uhmmm - I only have one CD drive - could that be a problem?

    > "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Nero should allow you to do what you want to do. What version of Nero
    > > do you have?
    > >
    > > The Nero support site http://www.nero.com/eng/Support.html have a large
    > > number of FAQs that will probably give you all the information you need.

    Yes, you can rip Music of the CD on to your hard disk as mp3 using Media
    Player 10. If you rip in mp3 format rip at 320kbs to get a better quality.
    Better still if you can rip as wav, you'll get high fidelity sound since you
    want to copy back to CD. With WMP10 put a CD in your drive and then select
    the Rip tab, in Tools|Options set the rip parameters, if you use WMP that
    is.

    With Nero, create a music CD, select and drag-drop the songs you want to the
    new compilation, and that will burn (and convert) your selected music as CDA
    format onto you CD.

    - Winux P

    "Judy L" <Judy@home> wrote in message
    >I was wondering if its possible to copy a cd (music) on to the hard drive,
    >and then selecting certain songs to burn one copy on a disc to play in the
    >car. When I created a folder to put the cd in - I thought I copied them
    >over, but the folder was empty.
    >
    > Can anyone help please
    > Judy

    Im still working on this - will get back to you later
    Thanks.

    "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message

    > Yes, you can rip Music of the CD on to your hard disk as mp3 using Media
    > Player 10. If you rip in mp3 format rip at 320kbs to get a better quality.
    > Better still if you can rip as wav, you'll get high fidelity sound since
    > you want to copy back to CD. With WMP10 put a CD in your drive and then
    > select the Rip tab, in Tools|Options set the rip parameters, if you use
    > WMP that is.
    >
    > With Nero, create a music CD, select and drag-drop the songs you want to
    > the new compilation, and that will burn (and convert) your selected music
    > as CDA format onto you CD.
    >
    > - Winux P
    >
    > "Judy L" <Judy@home> wrote in message
    >>I was wondering if its possible to copy a cd (music) on to the hard drive,
    >>and then selecting certain songs to burn one copy on a disc to play in the
    >>car. When I created a folder to put the cd in - I thought I copied them
    >>over, but the folder was empty.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help please
    >> Judy

Microsoft CD-Rom Hard Drives Windows XP