Sign in with
Your question

Best laptop for my needs

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 8, 2010 10:44:34 AM

I currently have a desktop PC that was bought in Aug 2007 and i am thinking of replacing it with a Notebook. My PC has:

intel E6750 CPU
Nvidia 8800GTX Graphic card
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX, PC2-800, CL4-4-4-12
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 S775
Monitors: 2 x 22" Samsung

It was a good system back in the day. I use the system for:

Websurfing
Video Skype
Light Photo Editing - Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop
iTunes
Playing some games: Sacred2, Civilizations

so my gaming has changed and I do not do so much any longer. As a result I was thinking of replacing the big heavy PC case with a laptop.

The questions are:

1. Is there a laptop that can outperform the 8800 GTX on graphics and support 2 x 22" monitors?

2. Is there a laptop that is still considering portable and can outperform my current computer?

3. What would be a disadvantage to replacing my big heavy water cooled PC with one of today's laptops?

More about : laptop

January 8, 2010 5:31:26 PM

1.Ati 5870 supports Dual-View capable Supports two different applications open at one time; one on the External Monitor, and one on the Laptop Screen. To use 2 monitors I think you need some thing like Matrox DualHead2Go. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2.ASUS G73JH-A1 will take your PC for a walk in the bushes and shot it in between the eyes :??:  . It comes with;

ATI Mobility 5870,

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM (customisable up to Intel Core i7-920XM Extreme),

8GB Memory DDR3 1066MH (customisable up to 16GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory)

2 500GB 7200RPM 8MB Hard drives(upgradable to Intel X25-M Solid State Drive).

4X Blu-Ray Reader (upgradable 4X Blu-Ray Writer/Reader).

Asus G Series Razor Gaming Mouse

2 years warranty.

It will be out in late January/early February. http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g73jha1-p-2731.html?wconfig...

3. Disadvanges; it will cost you more, it’s more fragile, is more difficult and expensive to repair damaged parts (but remember the Asus comes with first year accidental cover).

January 8, 2010 6:12:00 PM

With my docking station at work my crap dell 620 can run dual monitors. However, one monitor always seems to have a slightly different colour than the other even though they are the same and set identically. One is brighter and the other a bit darker :fou: 
January 8, 2010 6:21:09 PM

schlange said:
With my docking station at work my crap dell 620 can run dual monitors. However, one monitor always seems to have a slightly different colour than the other even though they are the same and set identically. One is brighter and the other a bit darker :fou: 

Thats pretty typical. All docking stations I work with do the same, it may be a matter of the fact one signal is DVI and one is VGA, not sure. On the other hand it really isn't too bad. A docking station would let you essentially do what dual-head does, with the advantage of letting you plug other peripherals into it (keyboard, mouse, etc).
!