chkdsk stop 0X00000071

I using windows XP Pro SP2, one running Pro and the other running Home. All
appeared to be well until I requested chkdsk to run on next re-boot. Both
computers (I was doing both simultaniously) came up with the same blue screen
error:

SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

stop: 0X00000071 (0X00000000,0X00000000,0X00000000)

This even happens when I start in Safe mode. I looked up MS knowledgebase
and found article 815021 which deals with all sorts of problems but near the
end says that this problem was fixed in XP with Service Pack 2. As that is
what was just installed, I am at a loss.

Any ideas?