Completed a fresh install of Windows XP on to a new hard disk. The install
originated from a pre-SP1 retail CD and is fully updated. A week later, I
cannot shutdown the computer. Every time I attempt to shutdown or restart,
the computer hangs at "Windows is shutting down".

I have searched through Microsoft's Knowledge Base. Most problems of this
nature were supposedly fixed in a SP. The remaining problems seem to entail
power management. In Device Manager, the device listed under Computer is
ACPI Uniprocessor PC. The Selective Suspend feature of the USB Root Hubs are
disabled. The computer does not shutdown even if the computer is started in
the safe mode.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Reduce other things that are loading at boot, as one of them is likely
hanging on the terminate command when you invoke a shutdown. Once you know
what is hanging, then addressing the problem becomes much easier. Run
msconfig and put the system in diagnostic mode, see if it shuts down better
this way.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/