Ah, the bonus countdown...

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2005 9:20:05 AM

Hey gang,

I was playing my F14 Tomcat today, sneaking a quick break from rehearsing my
lines (I'm in a play and need to get ready for opening night tomorrow). I
was having an extremely good game and started working my way up toward my
all time high score. On my third ball, I maxed out the bonus multiplier and
had a kick a$* high bonus waiting for me when the ball was finally through.

Well.......the ball drained......I took a step back.........and watched in
glee as the bonus tally slowly "counted down," beefing up my score little by
little. To top it off, as it finished, the game awarded me a special and,
as F14 Tomcat LOVES to do, the flashers blinded me for a short time
congratulating me on my special reward. A smile crept onto my face!

Wow!!

Then I moved over to BK2K. I played a decent game but nothing spectacular
(I rarely have two good games in a row). However when I drained a ball this
time....it was different. As it seemed every game exhibited from the late
80s and up, the bonus count only included a quick bumper song and light show
then BAM......the next ball was out. Don't get me wrong, it is still neat
and BK2K has a great light-show choreography wise. But man, there is
nothing like sitting there and watching your hard earned LONG ball-time be
rewarded by a super slow countdown.

Isn't the bonus countdown just friggin' cool? Ah........the good times!
That's what we need to return on these new games. Don't you think?

I know the average player doesn't care and just wonders why in the hell his
next ball isn't popping out and just ends up looking around like a goober,
figuring something is broken and pulling on the plunger making him want to
press start or something to reset the game instead of realizing that they
actually get a bonus after the ball is over and that it's been a pinball
staple for a long, long time.

But still........'aint it cool? ;)

Chris

Bucci's Pinball Arcade
"My collection & obsession online"
http://www.buccisarcade.com

More about : bonus countdown

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2005 9:20:06 AM

They tried reviving this in Austin Powers, and that's one of the things
I've always given the game credit for. Counting up one's bonus (unless
you do the instant speed-up with both flippers) and listening to that
silly little tune they play through the whole thing is sort of cute,
and if you can get the bonus up high enough, it can last a while.

Quite satisfying sometimes, indeed.

Aron
June 23, 2005 9:20:06 AM

Very cool, Spida. The bonus countdown was probably one of my three
favorite aspects of my T0TAN when I had one. I was so cool to make the
music change, speed up and then get those big bonus numbers at the end.
Sweet.

-JC-

Spida wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> I was playing my F14 Tomcat today, sneaking a quick break from rehearsing my
> lines (I'm in a play and need to get ready for opening night tomorrow). I
> was having an extremely good game and started working my way up toward my
> all time high score. On my third ball, I maxed out the bonus multiplier and
> had a kick a$* high bonus waiting for me when the ball was finally through.
>
> Well.......the ball drained......I took a step back.........and watched in
> glee as the bonus tally slowly "counted down," beefing up my score little by
> little. To top it off, as it finished, the game awarded me a special and,
> as F14 Tomcat LOVES to do, the flashers blinded me for a short time
> congratulating me on my special reward. A smile crept onto my face!
>
> Wow!!
>
> Then I moved over to BK2K. I played a decent game but nothing spectacular
> (I rarely have two good games in a row). However when I drained a ball this
> time....it was different. As it seemed every game exhibited from the late
> 80s and up, the bonus count only included a quick bumper song and light show
> then BAM......the next ball was out. Don't get me wrong, it is still neat
> and BK2K has a great light-show choreography wise. But man, there is
> nothing like sitting there and watching your hard earned LONG ball-time be
> rewarded by a super slow countdown.
>
> Isn't the bonus countdown just friggin' cool? Ah........the good times!
> That's what we need to return on these new games. Don't you think?
>
> I know the average player doesn't care and just wonders why in the hell his
> next ball isn't popping out and just ends up looking around like a goober,
> figuring something is broken and pulling on the plunger making him want to
> press start or something to reset the game instead of realizing that they
> actually get a bonus after the ball is over and that it's been a pinball
> staple for a long, long time.
>
> But still........'aint it cool? ;)
>
> Chris

> Bucci's Pinball Arcade
> "My collection & obsession online"
> http://www.buccisarcade.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2005 9:20:07 AM

I have to agree Spida, the older games had way cooler bonus countdowns.

Trin
"JC" <john.hedger@libertymutual.com> wrote in message
> Very cool, Spida. The bonus countdown was probably one of my three
> favorite aspects of my T0TAN when I had one. I was so cool to make the
> music change, speed up and then get those big bonus numbers at the end.
> Sweet.
>
> -JC-
>
> Spida wrote:
>> Hey gang,
>>
>> I was playing my F14 Tomcat today, sneaking a quick break from rehearsing
>> my
>> lines (I'm in a play and need to get ready for opening night tomorrow).
>> was having an extremely good game and started working my way up toward my
>> all time high score. On my third ball, I maxed out the bonus multiplier
>> and
>> had a kick a$* high bonus waiting for me when the ball was finally
>> through.
>>
>> Well.......the ball drained......I took a step back.........and watched
>> in
>> glee as the bonus tally slowly "counted down," beefing up my score little
>> by
>> little. To top it off, as it finished, the game awarded me a special
>> and,
>> as F14 Tomcat LOVES to do, the flashers blinded me for a short time
>> congratulating me on my special reward. A smile crept onto my face!
>>
>> Wow!!
>>
>> Then I moved over to BK2K. I played a decent game but nothing
>> spectacular
>> (I rarely have two good games in a row). However when I drained a ball
>> this
>> time....it was different. As it seemed every game exhibited from the
>> late
>> 80s and up, the bonus count only included a quick bumper song and light
>> show
>> then BAM......the next ball was out. Don't get me wrong, it is still
>> neat
>> and BK2K has a great light-show choreography wise. But man, there is
>> nothing like sitting there and watching your hard earned LONG ball-time
>> be
>> rewarded by a super slow countdown.
>>
>> Isn't the bonus countdown just friggin' cool? Ah........the good times!
>> That's what we need to return on these new games. Don't you think?
>>
>> I know the average player doesn't care and just wonders why in the hell
>> his
>> next ball isn't popping out and just ends up looking around like a
>> goober,
>> figuring something is broken and pulling on the plunger making him want
>> press start or something to reset the game instead of realizing that they
>> actually get a bonus after the ball is over and that it's been a pinball
>> staple for a long, long time.
>>
>> But still........'aint it cool? ;)
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bucci's Pinball Arcade
>> "My collection & obsession online"
>> http://www.buccisarcade.com

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2005 9:38:22 AM

My fave is the Hitchhiker bonus countdown in TZ when you've got over 20
Hitchhikers. That sound effect really gets the blood pumping!

bogart
www.pinrestore.com

boagman wrote:
> They tried reviving this in Austin Powers, and that's one of the things
> I've always given the game credit for. Counting up one's bonus (unless
> you do the instant speed-up with both flippers) and listening to that
> silly little tune they play through the whole thing is sort of cute,
> and if you can get the bonus up high enough, it can last a while.
>
> Quite satisfying sometimes, indeed.
>

> Aron

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2005 1:38:25 PM

You should see the intense bonus countdown on Strange Science! Starts
off slow and keeps building to one helluva crescendo :)  Hey break a leg,
Chris :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

I like Swords of Fury's when you have the bonus maxed and it plays the
pipe organ for a LONG time
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2005 2:25:40 PM

Agreed! One of my faves. The organ sounds in SoF rules.

I also love Firepower's countdown when maxed out.

Marcel
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2005 4:31:36 PM

Spida wrote:
> Isn't the bonus countdown just friggin' cool?

That's what distinguished the games of the 70s from all those before...
the bonus countdown really changed pinball into a game of skill, where
you score was more dependant on the shots you could make consistently
rather than the ones you got lucky on.
June 23, 2005 4:38:53 PM

Agreed, one game I had like 48 Hitchhikers and I thought the game was
gonna explode while it was counting then down (or up actually).

nomad
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2005 6:24:35 PM

>Or, any EM with maxed bonus and bonus multipliers.

Fast Draw's is even better.

Kirb
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2005 9:24:44 PM

In article <I7Kdneh8pIQdeCffRVn-sA@comcast.com>, Cliffy <crinear@comcast.net> wrote:

Or, howz 'bout Star Gazer!?! SG has great sound anyways, but it get really
good during the bonus coutdown; especially if you've progressed well
throughout the course of the game.

Here's to Star Gazer!!
Jeff Giesting

>You should see the intense bonus countdown on Strange Science! Starts
>off slow and keeps building to one helluva crescendo :)  Hey break a leg,
>Chris :)
>
>Spida wrote:
>> Hey gang,
>>
>> I was playing my F14 Tomcat today, sneaking a quick break from rehearsing my
>> lines (I'm in a play and need to get ready for opening night tomorrow). I
>> was having an extremely good game and started working my way up toward my
>> all time high score. On my third ball, I maxed out the bonus multiplier and
>> had a kick a$* high bonus waiting for me when the ball was finally through.
>>
>> Well.......the ball drained......I took a step back.........and watched in
>> glee as the bonus tally slowly "counted down," beefing up my score little by
>> little. To top it off, as it finished, the game awarded me a special and,
>> as F14 Tomcat LOVES to do, the flashers blinded me for a short time
>> congratulating me on my special reward. A smile crept onto my face!
>>
>> Wow!!
>>
>> Then I moved over to BK2K. I played a decent game but nothing spectacular
>> (I rarely have two good games in a row). However when I drained a ball this
>> time....it was different. As it seemed every game exhibited from the late
>> 80s and up, the bonus count only included a quick bumper song and light show
>> then BAM......the next ball was out. Don't get me wrong, it is still neat
>> and BK2K has a great light-show choreography wise. But man, there is
>> nothing like sitting there and watching your hard earned LONG ball-time be
>> rewarded by a super slow countdown.
>>
>> Isn't the bonus countdown just friggin' cool? Ah........the good times!
>> That's what we need to return on these new games. Don't you think?
>>
>> I know the average player doesn't care and just wonders why in the hell his
>> next ball isn't popping out and just ends up looking around like a goober,
>> figuring something is broken and pulling on the plunger making him want to
>> press start or something to reset the game instead of realizing that they
>> actually get a bonus after the ball is over and that it's been a pinball
>> staple for a long, long time.
>>
>> But still........'aint it cool? ;)
>>
>> Chris

S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2005 11:00:49 PM

So did you beat my score on BK2K???

Chet

"Spida" <spida1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hey gang,
>
> I was playing my F14 Tomcat today, sneaking a quick break from rehearsing
> my lines (I'm in a play and need to get ready for opening night tomorrow).
> I was having an extremely good game and started working my way up toward
> my all time high score. On my third ball, I maxed out the bonus
> multiplier and had a kick a$* high bonus waiting for me when the ball was
> finally through.
>
> Well.......the ball drained......I took a step back.........and watched in
> glee as the bonus tally slowly "counted down," beefing up my score little
> by little. To top it off, as it finished, the game awarded me a special
> and, as F14 Tomcat LOVES to do, the flashers blinded me for a short time
> congratulating me on my special reward. A smile crept onto my face!
>
> Wow!!
>
> Then I moved over to BK2K. I played a decent game but nothing spectacular
> (I rarely have two good games in a row). However when I drained a ball
> this time....it was different. As it seemed every game exhibited from the
> late 80s and up, the bonus count only included a quick bumper song and
> light show then BAM......the next ball was out. Don't get me wrong, it is
> still neat and BK2K has a great light-show choreography wise. But man,
> there is nothing like sitting there and watching your hard earned LONG
> ball-time be rewarded by a super slow countdown.
>
> Isn't the bonus countdown just friggin' cool? Ah........the good times!
> That's what we need to return on these new games. Don't you think?
>
> I know the average player doesn't care and just wonders why in the hell
> his next ball isn't popping out and just ends up looking around like a
> goober, figuring something is broken and pulling on the plunger making him
> want to press start or something to reset the game instead of realizing
> that they actually get a bonus after the ball is over and that it's been a
> pinball staple for a long, long time.
>
> But still........'aint it cool? ;)
>
> Chris

> Bucci's Pinball Arcade
> "My collection & obsession online"
> http://www.buccisarcade.com

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 24, 2005 12:47:18 AM

I like the binary countdown on Comet.

Or, any EM with maxed bonus and bonus multipliers.

-Mark
--
http://pinballpal.com/
Anonymous

I go both ways on this one. I love a long bonus countdown IF I can
abort it. Sometimes you just gotta keep the flow going, even if you
drain!

With that said, I think one of the best bonus countdowns is High
Speed's, on ball 3, with X maxed and the bonus maxed AND the hold bonus
collected.

(since it's on ball 3, I don't mind if I can't abort it. :)  )
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 24, 2005 4:49:33 PM

Do you "really" want me to answer that in public? ;)  :)  :)

!