I need a recommendation

I am about to buy a Dell 4700 C P4 2.8 gig system, 512 ram, Windows xp home,
DVD ROM, for for $1199. I am also looking at a refurbished Dell Optiplex
S280 with the same specs for but without a monitor for $700.

Please advise on which one would be a the better system for browsing,
composing word documents, and e-mail?

thank you

On Sun, 22 May 2005 23:52:00 GMT, "yeh'ambowa" <someone@microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am about to buy a Dell 4700 C P4 2.8 gig system, 512 ram, Windows xp home,
>DVD ROM, for for $1199. I am also looking at a refurbished Dell Optiplex
>S280 with the same specs for but without a monitor for $700.
>
>Please advise on which one would be a the better system for browsing,
>composing word documents, and e-mail?
>
>thank you

Stay away from refurbished. It most probably means that someone has
problems with that PC difficult enough for Dell to exchange the
machine, and the problems were possibly intermittent in nature. They
will check it out for an hour and then sell it to someone else. Don't
be the someone else... Get it new out of the box.

"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 23:52:00 GMT, "yeh'ambowa" <someone@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I am about to buy a Dell 4700 C P4 2.8 gig system, 512 ram, Windows xp
>>home,
>>DVD ROM, for for $1199. I am also looking at a refurbished Dell Optiplex
>>S280 with the same specs for but without a monitor for $700.
>>
>>Please advise on which one would be a the better system for browsing,
>>composing word documents, and e-mail?
>>
>>thank you
>>

> Stay away from refurbished. It most probably means that someone has
> problems with that PC difficult enough for Dell to exchange the
> machine, and the problems were possibly intermittent in nature. They
> will check it out for an hour and then sell it to someone else. Don't
> be the someone else... Get it new out of the box.

Good grief, that's TERRIBLE advice. The refurbished Dells are outstanding.
I've toured their refurb center and owned a number of them. They're usually
customers that changed their minds and go through a very sophisticated
burn-in -- longer than new machines.

You have to watch for outlet sales, but it is the ONLY way I buy a Dell now.

Tom

Mine has gone through three service calls and is now lieing dead on a table
awaiting it's replacement. Their tech service is sub-par and it's been a
month with no machine.

curious

wrote:

>I am about to buy a Dell 4700 C P4 2.8 gig system, 512 ram, Windows xp home,
>DVD ROM, for for $1199. I am also looking at a refurbished Dell Optiplex
>S280 with the same specs for but without a monitor for $700.
>
>Please advise on which one would be a the better system for browsing,
>composing word documents, and e-mail?

Check out every Thursday (when Dell supposedly comes out with new
sales):
http://www.dealcatcher.com/

> "Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 22 May 2005 23:52:00 GMT, "yeh'ambowa" <someone@microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>I am about to buy a Dell 4700 C P4 2.8 gig system, 512 ram, Windows xp
> >>home,
> >>DVD ROM, for for $1199. I am also looking at a refurbished Dell
Optiplex
> >>S280 with the same specs for but without a monitor for $700.
> >>
> >>Please advise on which one would be a the better system for browsing,
> >>composing word documents, and e-mail?
> >>
> >>thank you
> >>

> > Stay away from refurbished. It most probably means that someone has
> > problems with that PC difficult enough for Dell to exchange the
> > machine, and the problems were possibly intermittent in nature. They
> > will check it out for an hour and then sell it to someone else. Don't
> > be the someone else... Get it new out of the box.
> >

> Good grief, that's TERRIBLE advice. The refurbished Dells are outstanding.
> I've toured their refurb center and owned a number of them. They're
usually
> customers that changed their minds and go through a very sophisticated
> burn-in -- longer than new machines.
>
> You have to watch for outlet sales, but it is the ONLY way I buy a Dell
now.

Do Dells ever go on sale? Every time I go thru the Dell options page I
always get a price that ends up between $900 - $1,100 dollars. Dang. I
keep hearing how computers are as common as microwave ovens. You sure don't
have to pay over one thousand dollars for a good microwave oven. I was
hopping to get the computer I want for around $700 - $800. A decent monitor
and printer thrown in would be nice.

"Von Fourche" <monaco6178@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> "Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Optiplex

>> > Stay away from refurbished. It most probably means that someone has
>> > problems with that PC difficult enough for Dell to exchange the
>> > machine, and the problems were possibly intermittent in nature. They
>> > will check it out for an hour and then sell it to someone else. Don't
>> > be the someone else... Get it new out of the box.
>> >

>> Good grief, that's TERRIBLE advice. The refurbished Dells are
>> outstanding.
>> I've toured their refurb center and owned a number of them. They're
> usually
>> customers that changed their minds and go through a very sophisticated
>> burn-in -- longer than new machines.
>>
>> You have to watch for outlet sales, but it is the ONLY way I buy a Dell
> now.
>

> Do Dells ever go on sale? Every time I go thru the Dell options page I
> always get a price that ends up between $900 - $1,100 dollars. Dang. I
> keep hearing how computers are as common as microwave ovens. You sure
> don't
> have to pay over one thousand dollars for a good microwave oven. I was
> hopping to get the computer I want for around $700 - $800. A decent
> monitor
> and printer thrown in would be nice.

Sure, different machines are on sale every week. Try both Home and Small
office. Sign up for the small office coupons.

Tom

billu wrote:

> [...]

Even brand new Rolls Royces sometimes won't run and don't even ask about
brand new billion dollar rockets (or space shuttles).

Seriously, this is a single example, nothing to base any real conclusion on.

This seems like a much better deal but hurry:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/outrageous_desktops?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:22:31 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 22 May 2005 23:52:00 GMT, "yeh'ambowa" <someone@microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I am about to buy a Dell 4700 C P4 2.8 gig system, 512 ram, Windows xp
>>>home,
>>>DVD ROM, for for $1199. I am also looking at a refurbished Dell Optiplex
>>>S280 with the same specs for but without a monitor for $700.
>>>
>>>Please advise on which one would be a the better system for browsing,
>>>composing word documents, and e-mail?
>>>
>>>thank you
>>>

>> Stay away from refurbished. It most probably means that someone has
>> problems with that PC difficult enough for Dell to exchange the
>> machine, and the problems were possibly intermittent in nature. They
>> will check it out for an hour and then sell it to someone else. Don't
>> be the someone else... Get it new out of the box.
>>

>Good grief, that's TERRIBLE advice. The refurbished Dells are outstanding.
>I've toured their refurb center and owned a number of them. They're usually
>customers that changed their minds and go through a very sophisticated
>burn-in -- longer than new machines.
>
>You have to watch for outlet sales, but it is the ONLY way I buy a Dell now.
>
>Tom

I have supervised service centers for decades, what you are stating is
not true. In addition, most Dells that are returned are returned for
service issues.

Bob

Capt Bob wrote:

> On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:22:31 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>>Stay away from refurbished. It most probably means that someone has
>>>problems with that PC difficult enough for Dell to exchange the
>>>machine, and the problems were possibly intermittent in nature. They
>>>will check it out for an hour and then sell it to someone else. Don't
>>>be the someone else... Get it new out of the box.
>>>

>>Good grief, that's TERRIBLE advice. The refurbished Dells are outstanding.
>>I've toured their refurb center and owned a number of them. They're usually
>>customers that changed their minds and go through a very sophisticated
>>burn-in -- longer than new machines.
>>
>>You have to watch for outlet sales, but it is the ONLY way I buy a Dell now.
>>
>>Tom
>>

> I have supervised service centers for decades, what you are stating is
> not true. In addition, most Dells that are returned are returned for
> service issues.

You're simply wrong here.

> I have supervised service centers for decades, what you are stating is
> not true. In addition, most Dells that are returned are returned for
> service issues.
>
> Bob

We're proud of you.

Have you supervised DELL's REFURB center (which is entirely separate from
their SERVICE center)?

The refurbs are outstanding, which is reinforced here time and time again.
You show up trashing it, with no history in the newsgroup.

Any agenda Captain?

Tom

"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
> billu wrote:

I bought two refurb 4600s for my business along with refurb two LCDs. All
looked brand new. Not a dead pixel on either LCD. Haven't had a single
problem with any of the stuff in a year and a half. I hope I didn't just
jinx myself! :cool:

The only thing you have to watch out for with the refurb division is over
paying. With all the deals Dell runs on their new systems, sometimes it
just doesn't make sense to go with a refurb. But if you keep an eye out you
can snag a decent deal once and a while. But you had better be ready to
make your mind up in 15 minutes!

"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:22:31 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

Optiplex

> >> Stay away from refurbished. It most probably means that someone has
> >> problems with that PC difficult enough for Dell to exchange the
> >> machine, and the problems were possibly intermittent in nature. They
> >> will check it out for an hour and then sell it to someone else. Don't
> >> be the someone else... Get it new out of the box.
> >>

> >Good grief, that's TERRIBLE advice. The refurbished Dells are
outstanding.
> >I've toured their refurb center and owned a number of them. They're
usually
> >customers that changed their minds and go through a very sophisticated
> >burn-in -- longer than new machines.
> >
> >You have to watch for outlet sales, but it is the ONLY way I buy a Dell
now.

> >Tom
> >

> I have supervised service centers for decades, what you are stating is
> not true. In addition, most Dells that are returned are returned for
> service issues.
>
> Bob

With a return period, there are bound to be many returned for buyers
remorse. Looking at the refurb site usually shows many more low end
machines versus mid/high end systems. I think a lot of people by the low
end stuff THEN decide to do their homework and decide they really do want to
be able to add a video card. Or their computer savy friend walks in and
sees the 2400/3000 and starts laughing... It can get pretty ugly.

"yeh'ambowa" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am about to buy a Dell 4700 C P4 2.8 gig system, 512 ram, Windows xp
home,
> DVD ROM, for for $1199. I am also looking at a refurbished Dell Optiplex
> S280 with the same specs for but without a monitor for $700.
>
> Please advise on which one would be a the better system for browsing,
> composing word documents, and e-mail?
>
> thank you

That sounds like too much for that level system. Wait to catch some deals.
You didn't mention the monitor you were getting and that is a large cost to
the system.

"snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message

> "yeh'ambowa" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I am about to buy a Dell 4700 C P4 2.8 gig system, 512 ram, Windows xp
> home,
>> DVD ROM, for for $1199. I am also looking at a refurbished Dell
>> Optiplex
>> S280 with the same specs for but without a monitor for $700.
>>
>> Please advise on which one would be a the better system for browsing,
>> composing word documents, and e-mail?
>>
>> thank you
>
> That sounds like too much for that level system. Wait to catch some
> deals.
> You didn't mention the monitor you were getting and that is a large cost
> the system.

www.dealcatcher.com

Even with added RAM and the DVD drive, they'll toss in a 19" LCD for around
$700 for the whole enchilada.....

snert wrote:

> "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message

I'll knock on wood for you. ;)

I also bought a refurb 1704FPV LCD monitor @ $229 with my 8400. While
it's very nice, I bought it to have a backup for my 1905FP, which is
even nicer.

> The only thing you have to watch out for with the refurb division is over
> paying. With all the deals Dell runs on their new systems, sometimes it
> just doesn't make sense to go with a refurb. But if you keep an eye out you
> can snag a decent deal once and a while. But you had better be ready to
> make your mind up in 15 minutes!

Sure do! I looked into a specific configuration which was ideal & at a
great price, but when I went to buy it 5-10 mins later it was gone. So I
bided my time until the one I bought came available. It's a very dynamic
marketplace!