Northwoods Celeron: woo HOOOOO

JoeMusician

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
I have clocked my 2.0 GHz Celeron to 3.0 GHz, with stable operation for several days now. CPU temp is about 40-44 C when loaded, lower otherwise. I am running it in an Asus P4PE, a fabulous mobo for us clockers. I have done little for extra cooling. I added an 80mm case fan, installed backwards (to blow INWARD) at the rear of the case, blowing right across the CPU. I also added a PCI exhaust blower, which is a nice thing: very quiet and amazing airflow. A blower (squirrel cage fan) is very efficient compared to a "propeller" style fan. I've positioned it to draw air across the video card on its way out.

eden

Champion
I don't see why you're so excited. Yeah it's nice 50% overclock, but it does jack for the Celerons: <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20021016/celeron-06.html#quake_3_arena" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20021016/celeron-06.html#quake_3_arena</A>
Start from here and see just how utterly miserable the 3GHZ OCed Celeron NW sucks.

IMO you're only getting a bit more performance out of little value, and should've gone with a cheap priced Northwood like everyone else, and overclocked the hell out of it.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
under 3D studio it performe very well as the FPu is the same as a 3.06 NW ht but with no HT but yes in overall celeron P4 are bad.

[-peep-] french

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Wow. Now you have equal performance to an Athlon XP 1700+. For only nearly double the price. How good is that.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehe Just like a 1.4L ricecar engine screaming away at 8000rpm... all rpm, no torque.

<b><i>Poloticians and Nappies should be changed often... For much the same reason.</b></i>

eden

Champion
Though you are very pro-AMD, I must agree with that statement. In fact the XP2000+ is now nearly the same as the XP1700's price and still outperforms the entire line of Celerons to 3GHZ.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Moreover, AXP 1700+ T-bred "B" overclocks as good as Celeron 2 GHz.

Submit your opinion <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=28537#28537" target="_new"> Should Tom Fire Omid? </A>

eden

Champion
As well.
Overclocked to 2.2GHZ, these beasts having a PR of 2750+, will literally eat any Celeron in their way.

--

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
shhhhh. we all know the C in Celleron stands for Cool :smile:

<b>Paying for Sex didn’t mean you couldn’t get it any other way – it meant that you could afford the convenience option, same as any other service.</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
plus the rear casefan blowing in... hmmm.
not a usual setup to be sure.
wonder what ram he is using.

<b>Paying for Sex didn’t mean you couldn’t get it any other way – it meant that you could afford the convenience option, same as any other service.</b>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
I'm just can't stop laughing man. All JoeMusician did was stick a post in convey his happiness.

Now I'm sure you 've made him feel like sh*t now!

JoeMusician, have you sold your PC yet, my dad needs a cheap basic PC to get started on and I was wondering how much you're one was going for.

Just teasing, sorry man I can't help it. You know when there's a fight at school and one of the boys falls on the ground, so everyone wants to get a little dig in there. That's what this reminds me of.

Look Joe, the main thing is you are (were) happy.

-----------------------------------
Don't extract the urine.

eden

Champion
Actually last I checked, the P4PE is a failure to deliver, when it comes to overclocking. Wrong voltage levels, bandwidth problems at high speeds (Fugger-testing proven). I know for one the IT7-MAX 2 is still one of the best for the PE.

--

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm just done testing my comp with 3DMark 2001SE
Abit NF7-S
XP2100+ overclocked to 2335MHz (2900+) at 172*13.5 (core voltage 1.725V).
Radeon 9500 Pro and Samsung PC2700 (clk2.5)
My score is <b><A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6168104" target="_new"><font color=red>13303</A></b></font color=red>.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I just think its unfortunate that people get sold on the "Only Mhz matters".

Even Juin, staunchest Intel advocate, said it was a bad deal.

A 3Ghz cellery may rock with simple Mhz dependent apps, but few things are... and bandwidth and cache sizes matter ALOT.

In his case a 1.6A would have been a better pick.

eden

Champion
What's your cooling man?

That's a damn nice overclock, quite up there with what Tbred Bs are capable. Nice to see AMD's 0.13m finally refined. Say, would you mind trying a stock clock 3dMark 01?
I have an XP1600, and was considering the 9500PRO, and am wondering what individual test performance results would I get, considering 01 is very CPU dependant. I would assume 20% less performance from the XP2100 to the 1.4GHZ, especially since you have an nForce 2 motherboard.

--

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm using Volcano 6Cu+ with Fan speed controller (I hate its noise when it runs full speed ~7000RPM, so I set it at medium ~4500RPM).
Here is my 3DMark 2k1 score at stock speed.
<b><A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6169188" target="_new"><font color=red>11416</A></b></font color=red>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

eden

Champion
Lemme ask you, wouldn't you be happier if you purchased a Tbred 1700+ for half the Celeron 2GHZ, and did an easy 50% overclock to 2.2GHZ?

Yes it is a big number anyways for the Celery, but I could do the same with an old 100MHZ to 150MHZ, but will it run my DVDs any better?

--