Losing files

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 11, 2005 3:05:42 AM

A few days ago I posted a plea for help about "lost" files on a DVD. No
one posted a helpful reply.
Now my problems are getting worse. Data is vanishing from my hard disk
without my deleting it (knowingly) and it isnt in the Recycle bin.
OK, I may not be able to recover it but how can I prevent further such
accidents?

Martnz

More about : losing files

August 11, 2005 3:05:43 AM

Martynz wrote:
> A few days ago I posted a plea for help about "lost" files on a DVD. No
> one posted a helpful reply.
> Now my problems are getting worse. Data is vanishing from my hard disk
> without my deleting it (knowingly) and it isnt in the Recycle bin.
> OK, I may not be able to recover it but how can I prevent further such
> accidents?
>
> Martnz

If it seems specific and not random, make sure your PC has not been
compromised, either locally (with someone else logging in when you are
not there) or remotely. Make sure your firewall is up, that you are not
logged in as Admin (or with admin rights) and scan for spyware.

If it is Random, it could be failing memory/hard disk.

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

Look here

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=trojan+deletes...

Martynz wrote:

> A few days ago I posted a plea for help about "lost" files on a DVD. No
> one posted a helpful reply.
> Now my problems are getting worse. Data is vanishing from my hard disk
> without my deleting it (knowingly) and it isnt in the Recycle bin.
> OK, I may not be able to recover it but how can I prevent further such
> accidents?
>
> Martnz

August 11, 2005 11:40:02 AM

Thanks guys.
I am the sole user of my machine and I'm pretty careful about security,
firewall, virus scanning etc.
The big loss is 1 folder containing a load of sub-folders. I just can't work
out why/how its happened.
Martynz

> Look here
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=trojan+deletes...
>
> Martynz wrote:
>
>> A few days ago I posted a plea for help about "lost" files on a DVD. No
>> one posted a helpful reply.
>> Now my problems are getting worse. Data is vanishing from my hard disk
>> without my deleting it (knowingly) and it isnt in the Recycle bin.
>> OK, I may not be able to recover it but how can I prevent further such
>> accidents?
>>
>> Martnz

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:40:03 AM

Have you tried with an "undelete" program yet?

Martynz wrote:

> Thanks guys.
> I am the sole user of my machine and I'm pretty careful about security,
> firewall, virus scanning etc.
> The big loss is 1 folder containing a load of sub-folders. I just can't work
> out why/how its happened.
> Martynz
>
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Look here
>>
>>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=trojan+deletes...
>>
>>Martynz wrote:
>>

>>> A few days ago I posted a plea for help about "lost" files on a DVD. No
>>>one posted a helpful reply.
>>> Now my problems are getting worse. Data is vanishing from my hard disk
>>>without my deleting it (knowingly) and it isnt in the Recycle bin.
>>> OK, I may not be able to recover it but how can I prevent further such
>>>accidents?
>>>
>>>Martnz

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:53:03 PM

Yes, I'm still trying. But I'm just as concerned to try and prevent it
happening again.

Martynz

> Have you tried with an "undelete" program yet?
>
> Martynz wrote:
>
>> Thanks guys.
>> I am the sole user of my machine and I'm pretty careful about security,
>> firewall, virus scanning etc.
>> The big loss is 1 folder containing a load of sub-folders. I just can't
>> work out why/how its happened.
>> Martynz
>>
>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Look here
>>>
>>>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=trojan+deletes...

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:00:05 AM

That is indeed strange.
Are you sure you didn't accidentally move the foler or rename it?
Unless you've been hacked, or someone is playing pranks, I have no other
ideas.
--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Martynz" <martynz@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> Thanks guys.
> I am the sole user of my machine and I'm pretty careful about security,
> firewall, virus scanning etc.
> The big loss is 1 folder containing a load of sub-folders. I just can't
> work out why/how its happened.
> Martynz

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Look here
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=trojan+deletes...
>> Martynz wrote:
>>> A few days ago I posted a plea for help about "lost" files on a DVD.
>>> No
>>> one posted a helpful reply.
>>> Now my problems are getting worse. Data is vanishing from my hard disk
>>> without my deleting it (knowingly) and it isnt in the Recycle bin.
>>> OK, I may not be able to recover it but how can I prevent further such
>>> accidents?
>>> Martnz
!